1/6 Hot Toys MMS291 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope 1/6th scale Spacetrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why do all those troopers look so skinny in that pic?

Bandai 1/6 stormtroopers =)
I haven't finished putting the helmet decals on but after snapping them together, they make great background stormtroopers with full mobility. Not bad for being $60 per figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like he's on the waitlist. Got a payment plan on this guy a couple weeks ago, with a code and free shipping for $189.99.

I won this guy from Jedi Temple Archives competition they had a few weeks ago, already have one so it's still sitting in it's shipper box.

It's a great figure, it's just the nonremovable backpack that made this thing not sell as well as the others. Had they made the pack and hose removable, it would've sold out long ago as a nice alternative way to get a clean shiny ANH Stormy.
My favorite ANH-ish Stormtrooper release so far is the Battlefront Jumptrooper; a lot of weapons, an interesting paint job, bendy flight stand with sand base, and the removable jet pack with flames. It's second only to the Luke in disguise figure imo.

It's a great figure, it's just the nonremovable backpack that made this thing not sell as well as the others. Had they made the pack and hose removable, it would've sold out long ago as a nice alternative way to get a clean shiny ANH Stormy.
My favorite ANH-ish Stormtrooper release so far is the Battlefront Jumptrooper; a lot of weapons, an interesting paint job, bendy flight stand with sand base, and the removable jet pack with flames. It's second only to the Luke in disguise figure imo.

I think its more the one per customer limit. Stormtroopers sell out because of army builders and this one demands being displayed as a pair.

I think its more the one per customer limit. Stormtroopers sell out because of army builders and this one demands being displayed as a pair.

I had thought they lifted the limit some time ago, I never went back to check because one is enough for me. I also thought the second Spacetrooper had a different backpack?

Got an extra one of these guys, displayed but in perfect shape. Willing to trade for it. Wants list: Sideshow Fett version 2, Maul version 2, Tie Pilot, Sideshow vader v2 or v1)

Honestly, if this guy had a magnetic backpack, i'd keep it as a tall standard trooper, but HT just had to glue it on!!!!!

I haven't taken any decent pics of these figures (just detolf ones that haven't really worked out) so while taking some other pics..

cZv4wLt.jpg

D4YkQLC.jpg

Ahoy!
So here's a quick mod I promised myself I would complete this year.... and only a couple hours under the wire!
I was looking at that picture of Joe Johnston in the spacetrooper armor, and it dawned on me that the short forearm armor is not short at all... To my eye, it simply looks like the gloves were pulled up over the armor giving that impression. Now, I'd imagine this was discovered long ago by those in the know, but whatever the reality is, I'm stickin to it!

I took a couple black latex gloves and cut just the tips of the pinky finger (and cut the short end of those) and covered the armor to replicate this look. Turned out pretty good, I think.

Cheers,
Ahab

st mod1.jpgr2 mods 2.jpg

You should do a comparison shot with the original footage or Joe Johnston art. Also, are you concerns at all with the black latex staining your trooper armor? It looks cool but can’t say I’m familiar with the source material you reference.

^
Ahoy, and here you go!
Not too worried about potential staining.... I found a spare set of forearm armor online a couple years back for just this mod.

SPACETROOPER COMP.jpg

Cheers

^
Ahoy, and here you go!
Not too worried about potential staining.... I found a spare set of forearm armor online a couple years back for just this mod.

View attachment 384913

Cheers

in the reference picture clearly you can see the forearm armor is too short for the actor they prolly got that pair of armor from some leftovers for shorter actors.

in no way does the picture look like the armor was sleeved up. it's just short.

i'm assuming the photo on the left is the official promo pic and the one in the middle is just work in progress test fitting.

^
Ha, only thing clear about the space trooper lore, is that its clearly unclear! Everything from the number of actors, backpack design and the so called short forearm armor. From what I've read and the half a dozen photos from that days filming, there is no definitive proof of anything.
For my money though, zooming in on the image of the trooper with Lucas (which is presumably Johnston on set), the full shape of armor is visible on both arms with some kind of reflective black sleeve covering the bottom of the armor. Based upon the material and length of the original trooper glove, it looks clear to me that that black area is the glove stretched over the bottom of the armor.
That's my deduction anyway!
There's plenty of this going around on the RPF, Prop Den, and round tables all over the world:) I for one enjoy the mystery. So much in SW (since the OT) is spelled out for us these days.

Cheers
Ahab

I love this figure in fact it’s a great discussion point even though it only appeared in the movie for a few seconds

It actually looks better on your fig than it did on the actor. Good attention to detail.

Thanks Niltusk! Its a cool subtle feature that gives the space trooper a little more distinction than it had stock.

Cheers

Cool figure Ahab! I wanted this before it sold out, but couldn’t buy him at the time. Looks great though!

I agree, the glove does look extended over the armor. Very nice mod! And yes, the mysteries of the OT are always abound. It is sort of fun.

^
Ha, only thing clear about the space trooper lore, is that its clearly unclear! Everything from the number of actors, backpack design and the so called short forearm armor. From what I've read and the half a dozen photos from that days filming, there is no definitive proof of anything.
For my money though, zooming in on the image of the trooper with Lucas (which is presumably Johnston on set), the full shape of armor is visible on both arms with some kind of reflective black sleeve covering the bottom of the armor. Based upon the material and length of the original trooper glove, it looks clear to me that that black area is the glove stretched over the bottom of the armor.
That's my deduction anyway!
There's plenty of this going around on the RPF, Prop Den, and round tables all over the world:) I for one enjoy the mystery. So much in SW (since the OT) is spelled out for us these days.

Cheers
Ahab

like i said, the 1st picture clearly shows the armor is short. in the 2nd picture with Lucas it's clearly shown the armor is partially covered with the inner suit.

the question is which picture do you take as reference.

the 1st picture shows a completed space trooper holding his helmet.

the 2nd picture shows an incomplete trooper in the works.

my take would be the 1st picture. Hasbro also used this actor's face for their Spacetrooper sculpt.

Back