1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Just got my Man of Steel figure and I'm very pleased... It's my second Hot Toys figure ever!

Took some quick shots to share. :) (SLR + desk lamp + iPhone LED + wallpaper on a screen + some rudimentary Photoshop lol...)

IMG_9303.jpgIMG_9311.jpgIMG_9318.jpg

Yeah, i totally get that.
It requires a donor IM head be junked though, lol.

Those are fantastic mods bro! It's a bit too dark to tell but did you somehow manage to salvage the irises? It looks like they're stock and unmodded when the lights are off.

I like the cleaner application with the switch in the hair too. Why do you have to scrap an IM head? Can't that type of switch be bought elsewhere?

Those are fantastic mods bro! It's a bit too dark to tell but did you somehow manage to salvage the irises? It looks like they're stock and unmodded when the lights are off.

The process is to use a needle to carefully poke the pupils out. Then, with those as a guide, drill them out with a very small drill bit.
I then dremel the inside of the head. For the MOS, this involves dremelling away pretty much the entire inside of the head around the eye area to within about 1/2 of a millimetre. The eyes are already drilled. I just widen the holes, then(And this is the important part), repaint the "pupil holes" black, so when the light is off, it looks like normal.
The only difference with the Reeve head is not to thin out the cheeks. Just the area behind the pupils.
Once the LEDs are in place, i fill the head with hot glue, which seals the LEDs and becomes one big light block.
Although you lose the head/neck joint, the head will sit on there in any pose, and it looks great.
I even did an experiment on one at work on friday with blue LEDs just for the pupils. It would be great for a cyborg custom. See vid below.

I like the cleaner application with the switch in the hair too. Why do you have to scrap an IM head? Can't that type of switch be bought elsewhere?

It's cleaner but the entire system needs removed to replace the batteries.
The one with the larger battery pack is actually a lot less hassle.
The reason i mentioned junking a MKVII head is that is where i got the circuit from. If you could find a single(Or double) LED system that would fit in a HT head WITH batteries, that would work too.
I have no access to those systems myself, so i have to do it either with the battery pack hanging down the back(Which no-one will see if you have the lights on as you will be... looking at it from the front, lol), or with the IM head one.

Just putting it out there that I have a stock cape for sale. Great if you wanted to make an extra wired version. $20 shipped in US. Send PM if interested.

It's cleaner but the entire system needs removed to replace the batteries.
The one with the larger battery pack is actually a lot less hassle.
The reason i mentioned junking a MKVII head is that is where i got the circuit from. If you could find a single(Or double) LED system that would fit in a HT head WITH batteries, that would work too.
I have no access to those systems myself, so i have to do it either with the battery pack hanging down the back(Which no-one will see if you have the lights on as you will be... looking at it from the front, lol), or with the IM head one.

Of course... I forgot about the batteries. Still, I'm surprised that you couldn't find something suitable on line and the only option for the right sized mechanism is to dissect an IM head.

But jeez Barry, that is super clean, unbelievably impressive work there! I'll have to tally up what the whole shebang will run me but if you're up for the commission, I may be down to stretch for this :)

Of course... I forgot about the batteries. Still, I'm surprised that you couldn't find something suitable on line and the only option for the right sized mechanism is to dissect an IM head.

Another thing about that system is that it all has to be removed when you need to replace the batteries. Then very carefully replaced each time(And only held in place with blu tack). And if you know how fast batteries run out on an IM head... That is the reason that i have made only one head with an IM system in it, and five for customers with the battery pack hanging down the back!

But jeez Barry, that is super clean, unbelievably impressive work there! I'll have to tally up what the whole shebang will run me but if you're up for the commission, I may be down to stretch for this :)

Sure thing.
Just let me know.

So I visited the Warner bros studio in LA today and got to see the MOS suit up close.

The trim is 100% black!! Good job hot toys. Under certain lights it looks metallic blue, but up close it's definitely black.

me2e4u9y.jpg

yheva5en.jpg

nytuqupe.jpg

So I'm a bit confused. I've been ready to pull the trigger but I'm having issues with knowing if the color of the suit on figure is very similar or spot on to that of the real suit. There are so many pics being all over the place due to lighting and the use of flash which makes it harder to know without actually seeing it in hand. I've always had that issue with my CA FA figure. The suit in real life is a much darker blue and I'm not wanting to get this figure if it has the same issue. Thanks for the help guys! :)

The suit on the figure is lighter than the one in those pictures and the blue is more vibrant. However, the actual suits used on screen had multiple layers that gave them a reflective quality so colors would likely change under different lighting.

The suit on the figure is lighter than the one in those pictures and the blue is more vibrant. However, the actual suits used on screen had multiple layers that gave them a reflective quality so colors would likely change under different lighting.

Thanks man. That's exactly what I wanted to know. :)

Back