Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
\

tumblr_m864tp4d3h1qhiliko1_500.jpg

That's a deleted scene or something is it? hahaha unless someone just made them themselves

There seems to be an awful amount of hate being poured onto this figure recently, which is a shame.

It's not without its own personal share of issues (and there are very precious few other figures that do not have them) but in terms of what is on the screen, HT have done a pretty OK job of it so far.

To say that this is one of the worst/shoddiest/most awful figures they have ever done is hyperbole of the highest order.

It looks pretty much like how he looked in the film (pretty much) and it has an above average open-faced head sculpt. So what is it that people are expecting exactly? I can tell you something, the only reason I have not pre-ordered this is that I cannot spread my budget that far...otherwise this sucker would be mine and standing with my R/B and Black Suit Tobeys. I am in the position where I am having to wait until ASM II. I don't like it but these are the grim realities of life. I'll probably appreciate him all the more then too.

Of all the threads, I think this one comes out top of the negativity stakes. Even above the HULK /6 thread...where the debate rages re: joints vs rubber.

There seems to be an awful amount of hate being poured onto this figure recently, which is a shame.

It's not without its own personal share of issues (and there are very precious few other figures that do not have them) but in terms of what is on the screen, HT have done a pretty OK job of it so far.

To say that this is one of the worst/shoddiest/most awful figures they have ever done is hyperbole of the highest order.

It looks pretty much like how he looked in the film (pretty much) and it has an above average open-faced head sculpt. So what is it that people are expecting exactly? I can tell you something, the only reason I have not pre-ordered this is that I cannot spread my budget that far...otherwise this sucker would be mine and standing with my R/B and Black Suit Tobeys. I am in the position where I am having to wait until ASM II. I don't like it but these are the grim realities of life. I'll probably appreciate him all the more then too.

Of all the threads, I think this one comes out top of the negativity stakes. Even above the HULK /6 thread...where the debate rages re: joints vs rubber.

Reasons this isn't liked:

*the unmasked head is simply out of proportion to the rest of the figure.

*There are several mistakes regarding the construction of the suit.

*The suit lacks the charisma and overall "cool!"-factor of the Raimi suits.

*The junction of the suit and neck is just really bad.

*Eyes are the wrong color, and the patterning of webbing on the face just looks bad.

*Figure lacks muscular definition. I don't expect to see Spidey of all people ripped to shreds, but this figure has the physique of a 12-year-old. By the very nature of the costume, it does nothing to hide this.

I would not term this HT's "worst ever," but as far as knocking everyone's socks off..... no.

hyperbole of the highest order.

I am in the position where I am having to wait until ASM II. I don't like it but these are the grim realities of life.

"Grim reality" is not being able to buy an expensive toy . . . no hyperbole there.

FirstWorldProblems.jpg

Physician heal thyself.

____

"Grim reality" is not being able to buy an expensive toy . . . no hyperbole there.

FirstWorldProblems.jpg

Physician heal thyself.

Perhaps since every single issue on these boards is a "first world problem," we should just shut the boards down completely. Who wants to hear all that complaining, right....?

This is the first world, and we're discussing collectibles which are by definition not essential to life. Any one wishing to discuss third world problems which are 'really important' or whatever, I am sure forums are out there which are more germane to those interests.

You have to eat around the edges of the cookie to get it to fit, but it depends on the type of glass you're using. What I do is. I'll take a bite of the cookie and then a sip of milk. But its less fun :(

*the unmasked head is simply out of proportion to the rest of the figure.

*There are several mistakes regarding the construction of the suit.

*The junction of the suit and neck is just really bad.

*Eyes are the wrong color, and the patterning of webbing on the face just looks bad.

*Figure lacks muscular definition. I don't expect to see Spidey of all people ripped to shreds, but this figure has the physique of a 12-year-old. By the very nature of the costume, it does nothing to hide this.

I would not term this HT's "worst ever," but as far as knocking everyone's socks off..... no.

Very true, not to mention the terrible middle seam and the fact that they don't care enough to bring the red down and round it out show they are lacking in this figure. I don't think the head sculpt is bad but then again I don't really care because I don't even really do anything with the unmasked head. The upper part of the arms look unnatural. This figure needs a lot of work IMO, it really doesn't help much that Garfield is so scrawny either.

You have to eat around the edges of the cookie to get it to fit, but it depends on the type of glass you're using. What I do is. I'll take a bite of the cookie and then a sip of milk. But its less fun :(

I would break the cookie in half. Then its like having twice the cookie.

Perhaps since every single issue on these boards is a "first world problem," we should just shut the boards down completely. Who wants to hear blah blah blah

Lighten up, Francis. :rolleyes:

The poster calls out "hyperbole of the highest order" then laments the "grim reality" of not being able to afford a toy. :cuckoo:

Irony. Perspective.

They're your friends. :lol

(and clearly what's needed is to turn the glass of milk upside down.:peace)

_____

Erm, thats HT's fault, how?

Why is everyone so against the new spidey suit, it's got far more detailing than the previous and looks much more realistic! The last Spider-man suit was cheesy as hell!

Why is everyone so against the new spidey suit, it's got far more detailing than the previous and looks much more realistic! The last Spider-man suit was cheesy as hell!
Where to begin..

Calling a timeless design 'cheesy' is playing with fire my friend. :lol

Seriously though.. whether you like the new suit or the old one more, the HT Tobey Spidey has UNBELIEVABLE detail!! The rubber webbing all over the suit for starters is done jaw droppingly well. That in itself pretty much voids your comment.

Secondly, wondering why an overly busy Gen-Y take on a classic look gets flack, shows that you don't seem to get the gravity of the character's history as a Marvel institution. :huh

Come on now.. :lol

Last edited:
WOW!

Just...wow!

There some people on here have an Olympic ability to totally miss the point of a post it seems.

And when it comes to the point where you hear yourself say...

"I am going to have to quote my own post so that they get it this time..."

:slap :slap :slap :slap :slap :slap

Erm, thats HT's fault, how?

The new suit has "far more detailing" than the Raimi suits? How's that? Not seeing that at all...

FirstWorldProblems.jpg

Physician heal thyself.

____

Sadly, that image just does not want to come up for me so whatever it was it was meant to convey is, sadly, lost.

I am not against the new Spidey suit. I like it actually, it took some time to start growing on me but now I appreciate it for what it is...a new variation on the classic look. It retains enough of the classic look for it to be obviously SPIDERMAN, but updated a little.

As for the Raimi suits ie that same 'classic' look that is loved by millions word wide...the word "Cheesy" should never be used in the same sentence!

P8020635.jpg

P8020639.jpg

EDIT: Ah no, the picture downloaded this time! The previous posts now make sense. I'd just snap it into two personally :dunno

Last edited:
The new suit has "far more detailing" than the Raimi suits? How's that? Not seeing that at all...

To be fair it is far more detailed than the original, i think your hate for the newer suit is just blinding you from this.

I mean for starters it has web shooters which is an extra detail and the boot has more detail with the metallic plating on the sole.

To be fair...the new suit is ugly.

The metallic soles add more detail? I guess a feather boa and an awesome hat would have also added more detail amirite?

The Raimi suit is the classic design done so elegantly. The metallic webbing that glimmers like a spider's web when the right light catches it, the eye plates looked great, and the brick pattern gave the suit added texture. My only beef with the Raimi suit was the dark blue color. It needed to be a tad lighter. With this new suit, you have no belt, you have a web pattern on the mask that doesn't resemble a web, you have gawdawful ballerina slippers, the eye plates are way too small and make his head look like an alien (also...why are they yellow?), the leg racing stripe, and of course the lovely idea to show the seams running up the legs and the torso. The new suit is an atrocity. It looked decent in the movie because everything was so dark. All the action scenes were at night or indoors. Just look at this HT figure and compare it to the HT SM3 figure...it's butt ugly.

People who say...well it's more realistic...are annoying. First, no teenager could make either. If you think he bought that off of amazon.com then that's hilarious. If you think he sewed that then that's hilarious. All he did was do sketches and screen press a spider emblem. A grand total of one extra step than in Spider-Man 1. But it's more realistic!

The only reason the ASM suit looks the way it does...is because Sony and Avi Arad wanted this new movie to be different for the sake of being different. The funny thing is...it was almost a beat for beat remake of SM1.

2 cents

The metallic soles add more detail? I guess a feather boa and an awesome hat would have also added more detail amirite?

Yup, that's exactly right. A feather boa and a hat would be more to add and they are details so that's more detail.. funny how that works!

Back