Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i get what you mean, so if i wanted his arm out in front of him, i'd have to move the arm out to the side of his body and then begin to move it forward?

is that right?

I think i get what you mean, so if i wanted his arm out in front of him, i'd have to move the arm out to the side of his body and then begin to move it forward?

is that right?

yes.
And HT have used two different types of joint on the shoulder. To raise the arm up and down in front of chest there is a ratchet joint, to move the arm up and down to the side there is a sliding smooth disc joint. If you try to move both together (as you would naturally with Spidey) there is pressure put on that small piece of plastic at the bottom. That snaps the whole arm comes off.

Very hard to describe this without doing a video (I don't do video).
But this might help. I don't think this is a radically different body, or that it's anymore flawed than some of HT's recent bodies. I just had a look at the stock Captain America Spangled body, it's arms are worse than this. They are extremely stiff and ratchet joint one way but are loose up and down, try to do anything even remotely extreme and they will break.

So what I'm saying here is this..
Fragile badly made HT body is made even more fragile and breakable by the fact it's Spiderman. Or course you are gonna try and position his arms as if web slinging. HT have gotten away with it for a while now with more sedentary licenses. This could be the perfect (plastic) storm. But I don't think the body is "faulty" per se, if it was it would be broken out of the box IMO.

And no, I haven't tried to bend his arms backwards, nor do i intend to, I
didn't do that with the Medi either. Not my thing.

:lol

Treat the TT shoulder like a balljoint and it will break.

Thanks. HT dropped the ball on this one *CONFIRMED*. They got 2-3 years to get this right for ASM 2 figure. Best be getting it right.:cuss

So sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just moved and didn't have internet for about two weeks, and I just don't have the patience to read through two week's worth of posts.

For those who have the figure already, how durable does the suit feel?

So sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just moved and didn't have internet for about two weeks, and I just don't have the patience to read through two week's worth of posts.

I'd really recommend reading this thread, there's a fair bit to discuss as far as durability is concerned

but otherwise, i'd check Ryno's and TheclipperKings reviews on youtube

very informative

Unfortunately that is the last thing you need to worry about. :(

Going by Rory's description and pic, I assume the following would be the scenarios:

Case 1:
- With arm down, rotate the arm in a forward or backward motion (ratchet).
- Once arm is forward/backward, lift arm to the side.

Case 2:
- With arm down, lift the arm to the side.
- Once arm is to the side, rotate the arm in a forward or backward motion (ratchet).

Case 3:
- Do any of the above in combination and break that frickin joint?

From what Rory says its a new design. :dunno

No I didn't say it was new design, I said that on more recent releases the thin piece of plastic which attaches the shoulder joint to the body seems thinner and more fragile.
Not sure how long this particular structure has been used on the arms, but they have always been slightly different on each new TT that HT releases. I never had an issue with it myself until the
DX Joker 2.0 and DX Luke Skywalker. So I'm only assuming some production change was made then. Before that I've never even broken a wrist peg. I have a lot of Hot Toys.

No I didn't say it was new design, I said that on more recent releases the thin piece of plastic which attaches the shoulder joint to the body seems thinner and more fragile.

Sorry man, going by the pictures and your description it seemed like a new design. So basically it's just Hot Toys cut corners by using a thinner piece of plastic?:dunno

I just realize I got the new design idea from galmando, when he said silly design.

Sorry man, going by the pictures and your description it seemed like a new design. So basically it's just Hot Toys cut corners by using a thinner piece of plastic?:dunno

I doubt it was corner cutting, just not very well thought out. It's because the forward backwards movement is so stiff, it stresses the thin joint.

For all the negativity in this thread right now, I would just like to say, I don't regret getting this at all.
he has been standing next to my mac for the last week, and he looks fantastic. I love this suit design and this is by far the best representation of it we have seen.

Well I received an email from timcent this morning stating "1. Be very very careful of the shoulder joints, don't use too much strength." So I'll venture to guess shoulder breakage is already pretty common. This with only a small minority having it in hand.

Well I received an email from timcent this morning stating "1. Be very very careful of the shoulder joints, don't use too much strength." So I'll venture to guess shoulder breakage is already pretty common. This with only a small minority having it in hand.

Looks like he has had a few complaints or broken ones himself. Or he is just going by the pic in the instruction booklet. :dunno

In fairness, he messaged that to people before anyone got them in hand? So I don't really think it's much of an indication of anything.

In fairness, he messaged that to people before anyone got them in hand? So I don't really think it's much of an indication of anything.

This is the second message I've received from him. I don't have him in hand yet. The first message did not specify shoulder breakage. I guess my point is, the 2members on here are not alone. Unless they purchased from timcent and the message from timcent is a response to those 2 single cases....

This is the second message I've received from him. I don't have him in hand yet. The first message did not specify shoulder breakage. I guess my point is, the 2members on here are not alone. Unless they purchased from timcent and the message from timcent is a response to those 2 single cases....

Yeah, I guess it will be a widespread issue regardless of the cause. People are just gonna snap the arms off this no matter what, because it's spidey.

I doubt very much it's got anything whatsoever to do with batches (as some as suggesting), it's just a body construction issue, so more likely a like it or lump it thing. You never know they may revisit this costume in 2 or 3 years when ASM2 comes out. This costume features briefly in it I believe.
:lol

Is there anything in the instructions, warning us from moving the arm directly up in front of him?

Is there anything in the instructions, warning us from moving the arm directly up in front of him?

No.. and that's the real problem as I pointed out a few pages back. It's a very stiff almost ratchet joint which stresses the shoulder connector.

Back