Hot Toys - MMS174 - The Avengers: 1/6th scale Captain America Offical Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things I like about Marvel comics is that their superheroes get updated outfits that lasts for decades (ie new Iron man suits, modern cyclops, modern Thor, modern Storm, etc..) That being said, Cap is special in that he's a Golden Age hero predating everything else in the Marvel Universe, I don't think Marvel has any other Golden Age hero besides Cap if I'm not mistaken. Golden Age heroes tend to not get updated costumes, their retro look living in modern times reminds us that they are from a different time period both story wise and in real life. (I believe the Dc 52 reboot changes Golden Age hero costumes for the first time in history, but it seems more like a desperation move and they most likely will go back to the original costume eventually.)

Last edited:
I agree with you and was just saying how annoying it is that with another avengers movie, how greatly everyone's costume/look will change and how there are like 7 heroes to get. It sucks. Atleast with captain America's modern look nothing can change. I think that will be the same costume he wears in all of the upcoming films. Hulk won't change. Iron man suit change is acceptable. Thor changes will be annoying, hawkeye changes will be annoying, black widow changes will be annoying. Nick fury will always look the same. I just hope I'm right about cap

One of the things I like about Marvel comics is that their superheroes get updated outfits that lasts for decades (ie new Iron man suits, modern cyclops, modern Thor, modern Storm, etc..) That being said, Cap is special in that he's a Golden Age hero predating everything else in the Marvel Universe, I don't think Marvel has any other Golden Age hero besides Cap if I'm not mistaken. Golden Age heroes tend to not get updated costumes, their retro look living in modern times reminds us that they are from a different time period both story wise and in real life. (I believe the Dc 52 reboot changes Golden Age hero costumes for the first time in history, but it seems more like a desperation move and they most likely will go back to the original costume eventually.)

As Phil Coulson said: "Everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned."

Well, I follow the entire discussion an only have some things to say:

- Using the same outfit you use in the 40´s is just stupid.

- Using wings in your head is very, VERY stupid.

- I pray to God every single day to see Cap 616 starting to use the Ultimates outfit.

It would make more sense, the new audience would recognize it better, the caracther won´t be seen as silly as a man with wings in his head and it woul be visually better.

I think Marvel lost a very good opportunity to make this choice after his death and return... Even the Averngers cartoon make the change and put Captain in Ultimates outfit...
:goodpost::clap:yess::hi5::exactly:

Cap needs to get with the modern world. First he needs a really expensive outfit that he can't afford so he puts it on a credit card then he can complain about the credit card company. He needs a facebook account and twitter and he needs to have an expectation that everything should magically be provided for him.
He needs to drop the 'F' bomb every other word. He needs to realize that people have evolved from the silly ideas of standards and morality so that now every bad behavior is just a 'lifestyle choice'.
No one gets the old fogey who thinks people should be responsible for their own actions. When people, although not perfect, were by in large more courteous and weren't afraid to call evil for what it was.
Captain America is a symbol, and much like the flag, the constitution and our core principles, should remain virtually unchanged.
There's no need to reinvent something when you got it so right.

- I pray to God every single day to see Cap 616 starting to use the Ultimates outfit.

It would make more sense, the new audience would recognize it better, the caracther won´t be seen as silly as a man with wings in his head and it woul be visually better.
Yup, pirate boots and scales will really make things much less silly.

People recognize Captain America fine now.

I never cried....I stated by opinion...

Whatever you want to call it :lol. Slinging your opinion around over and over about pirate boots and fish scales bugging you gets old fast. We get it. You don't like the costume. You don't get the fantasy element of the 616 universe. You love Ultimates, you love the movie look, and you want the 616 stuff to follow suit because, as you so knowingly point out :lol, Cap comics just won't sell with pirate boots and fish scales. What's he still wearing in his comics that sell just fine? Oh yeah, that costume :rotfl

I must say I am honored to be in the presence of such an industry insider. I see your doctorate in comixology is being used to good effect..

Glad to help :wink1:

I too, can't wait to own this (maskless) Hot Toys figure to go along side the TFA one :yess:

Last edited:
back in 1977 there was a story arc where the government intervened and limited the avengers membership and forced them to take the Falcon as a member despite the fact he didn't even want to be a member. Hawkeye very effectively pointed out that they were plenty diverse, and that superheroes themselves were in fact a minority. Marvel comics has always been in the forefront of inclusiveness. The X-Men are all about prejudice and the fight for equal rights. Gabe Jones in '63, Black Panther in '66 and Falcon in '69. They have had interracial romance with Iron Fist and Misty Knight. I think Millar's re-invisioning of Fury had more to do with him being a SLJ fan and wanting him to appear more "bad ass".
The Ultimates is obviously used visually and story-wise concerning Asgard, but the characterizations are clearly 616.

I am not saying Marvel has not done a decent job at diversity, but Ultimates pushed it a bit further (for the better in my opinion) making Wasp East Asian (Chinese specifically as I recall) and Nick Fury black (and clearly based specifically on Samuel L.). Millar also introduced a gay Colossus in Ultimate X-Men, which I thought was a fun change.

Still I would have preferred either a more powerful female Avenger than Black Widow (she is so out of her league) or a female Loki in terms of the film.

I have this on PO and I did so without hesitation. I say this first so that it puts some perspective on these next comments.

I always thought that the 'fish scales' continuously referred to here were in fact the artist's attempt to simplify drawing chain-mail or some sort of ring mail. I have this nagging memory about how that is supposed to be some form of mail-armour.

I am not saying Marvel has not done a decent job at diversity, but Ultimates pushed it a bit further (for the better in my opinion) making Wasp East Asian (Chinese specifically as I recall) and Nick Fury black (and clearly based specifically on Samuel L.). Millar also introduced a gay Colossus in Ultimate X-Men, which I thought was a fun change.

It OK to try and make things better, it's good to try and keep things fresh, but to do so in the style of "...How can we change this...let's make her Chinese, let's make him, hmmmm...Black! Let's make him...let's see now...OK, Gay!" To me these are just changes for change's sake and shock/WOW factor, not to actually add anything new to the character.

I always thought that the 'fish scales' continuously referred to here were in fact the artist's attempt to simplify drawing chain-mail or some sort of ring mail. I have this nagging memory about how that is supposed to be some form of mail-armour.

ALways thought those were supposed to imitate an eagle's chest
since he's supposed to represent america and all

The blue portion of Captain America's upper body is a chain mail overshirt. You are correct about the fish scales.

t6e7af.jpg

The blue portion of Captain America's upper body is a chain mail overshirt. You are correct about the fish scales.

t6e7af.jpg

^Not enough accurate flight gear on that villain he's fighting. Would be better if he had a military grade flying squirrel suit with parachute.

Cap needs to get with the modern world. First he needs a really expensive outfit that he can't afford so he puts it on a credit card then he can complain about the credit card company. He needs a facebook account and twitter and he needs to have an expectation that everything should magically be provided for him.
He needs to drop the 'F' bomb every other word. He needs to realize that people have evolved from the silly ideas of standards and morality so that now every bad behavior is just a 'lifestyle choice'.
No one gets the old fogey who thinks people should be responsible for their own actions. When people, although not perfect, were by in large more courteous and weren't afraid to call evil for what it was.
Captain America is a symbol, and much like the flag, the constitution and our core principles, should remain virtually unchanged.
There's no need to reinvent something when you got it so right.

:yess:
Nice post!

Hey, why didn't Hot Toys new Cap get the machine gun he actually fired the hell out of instead of the "ray gun" he held on screen for about 3 seconds??

Last edited:
And you know, for all the criticisms about the Avengers Cap suit, if I could wear one to work everyday, I would.:slap:blissy

Still I would have preferred either a more powerful female Avenger than Black Widow (she is so out of her league) or a female Loki in terms of the film.

Yeah, bring on Ms. Marvel!

Back