Hot Toys -MMS167 - Captain America: The First Avenger: Red Skull Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That might make sense if he came with the outfit he wore in the final fight :wink1:

What was the difference? My memory is not too great apparently. I thought he wore the black coat thing for most of the film.

I understand that the production cost is going up. I understand that the quality is still some of the best in the figure industry. But it also seems that they understand that we will fork out whatever amount to buy these figures.

The prices of 12 inch figures has gone up over 25% compare to last year. That is a very steep climb consider everything else (our salary included) does not inflate this much.

Therefore, I think I am going into semi-retirement on collecting HT figures, coz it is getting to the point that I am seeing 2 $100 bills in my showcase instead of a figure. I just cannot justify spending over $200 on one item that ended up just standing on my shelf. There are other things I need those two bills on.

Maybe there will be one or two exception if I really really wanted that character.. but I am kinda a pathetic completest so it is hard for me to justify buying just one figure from a whole line... hee hee....

The prices of 12 inch figures has gone up over 25% compare to last year. That is a very steep climb consider everything else (our salary included) does not inflate this much.

Hot Toys is not alone in raising prices recently. My wife and I run a Minimates store, and the manufacturer raised their prices by 15% last year alone. I have heard similar stories from retailers of other toy lines. It seems to be industry wide, although 25% is on the high end.

The way things are especially this year, and the outlook for years to come it isn't going to get any better. I mean the economy/markets/retail in general.

I find it strange he doesn't come with the gun he used in the final fight. It just seems like something fairly major to not include and Hot Toys is usually pretty decent at making sure to get all the essential accessories. You would think if they were smart enough to include the rose box that T-800 carried the shotgun in, then they would include the actual gun Red Skull used in half the final fight.
That one bad-ass gun would have probably been enough to justify the price for me. It'd have given a third display option for him, and display options is what I look for when asking myself if the price is worth it.

If they darken his grey suit (it looks black in the film) and shorten the neck on the skull head, then if I see a good price I'd still bite.

Doesn't feel like a $200 figure to me. Seems like it should be $175ish. Oh, well. Still seems like a decent deal in relation to $150 Sideshow figures, though.

Also I'll be honest guys. My initial reaction was the same as most the people here. I was annoyed how expensive Hot Toys stuff is now and how this is thirty more than Captain America, but then I thought about it. Captain America himself wasn't worth the price. His outfit could have been better and he had no real likeness in the normal sense. It looks like the guy with the helmet on similar to how Robocop can look like the guy with the helmet on.

But Captain America's value is not the point. My point is that if you accept that Captain America was $170, you can't really argue that Red Skull shouldn't be $200. Not only does he come with the rater elaborate Red Skull head alongside not just the soldier uniform, but the black overcoat, but he also includes a second sculpt with full blown and highly accurate likeness. Accessories wise they both do not include much, but if being on Ebay or even this board has any form of credibility, it should be painfully obvious to any 1/6 collector that one of the most expensive parts of the figure both to create and to buy on the aftermarket...is the head.

Seriously if you think this headsculpt would go for less than thirty on the after market then I'm somewhat surprised. Personally I don't think it would. These two high quality head sculpts are worth quite a bit on their own and I think Red Skull more than justifies being thirty dollars more than Captain America. My problem is how much Captain America was.

Also the free shipping from Sideshow is always nice for those of us who can make use of it. I'll probably just wait to see how much he goes for on the aftermarket. If it is around the same price then I'll just head to Sideshow and buy him then. I'm not too worried about him selling out. I really like how this figure looks though and I enjoy Marvel and it would be nice to get some Marvel figures. I don't care for the blank stare Thor and Black Widow and I'm not bothering with Odin, Blade and Wolverine are too expensive, might as well just wait for the next bigger and better Iron Man, Iron Monger is too much, I'm not a huge fan of the way Captain America looks in the modern stuff, Hulk would be too expensive, etc.. There's not a whole lot of options for me, but Loki and Red Skull are definitely there and they cater to my needs while fulfilling my somewhat loose requirements.

ticks me off that our Dollar isn't worth much like it used to be ;) which is causing inflated prices on our Figures....(prices going higher across the board)...and expect prices to go HIGHER! Wait till we see hyper-inflation...you all will NOT be buying any of these Hot Toys figures unless your filthy rich

I thought about picking this up to go with Cap,but not for $200 shipped..

ticks me off that our Dollar isn't worth much like it used to be ;) which is causing inflated prices on our Figures....(prices going higher across the board)...and expect prices to go HIGHER! Wait till we see hyper-inflation...you all will NOT be buying any of these Hot Toys figures unless your filthy rich

I thought about picking this up to go with Cap,but not for $200 shipped..

Assuming you're not, just be glad you aren't into Japanese figures. Seriously most of my collection is composed of Japanese made figures and I've had to stop most of my buying for a few years now because the yen is too strong and the price of the figures plus shipping is making it impossible to get the things I want. If anything that's why I turned to 1/6 figures in the first place. They are mostly Hong Kong made and while expensive, they are far more bang for your buck. I could either get a basic 1/8 Japanese PVC non posable figure of a school girl for one hundred dollars or I could get a 1/6 highly detailed fully posable top of the line red skeleton nazi for twice the price. Yeah I think I'll go for the 1/6 figure.

Slowly but surely, I am being priced out of this hobby. :)

At these prices, I have no choice but to be extra selective on my purchases. I used to be able to buy around 30 to 40 1/6 figures from Sideshow and Hot Toys each year. Now, I am cutting down to around 15 of such figures per year and I have to sadly pass on this. Not the fault of Sideshow or Hot Toys, just that my annual pay increment is not keeping up with the corresponding increases in the prices of these figures. :)

At these prices, I have no choice but to be extra selective on my purchases.

A boat a lot of us are in my friend. I no longer pre-order unless it is a "must own" which may sell out. No commitment assures I am flexible in my purchases while keeping options open to buy cheaper after release. Unless the figure sells out a little patience works wonders......

He had a black silk shirt i recall, with susoenders i think.
Looking again, I think the black shirt/suspenders is what he wears under the grey jacket. So his final-battle outfit wasn't another outfit at all, but simply a second coat removed. Very much doubt the figure will have another shirt and suspenders under the grey jacket though.

Also, his "grey" outfit is most definitely supposed to be black. At no point in the film does it look grey, let alone light grey. Not sure how Hot Toys got that so wrong :dunno

dang, $200 at Sideshowtoy? well, then $170-$180 include shipping in my country, can't wait :rotfl

Assuming you're not, just be glad you aren't into Japanese figures. Seriously most of my collection is composed of Japanese made figures and I've had to stop most of my buying for a few years now because the yen is too strong and the price of the figures plus shipping is making it impossible to get the things I want. If anything that's why I turned to 1/6 figures in the first place. They are mostly Hong Kong made and while expensive, they are far more bang for your buck. I could either get a basic 1/8 Japanese PVC non posable figure of a school girl for one hundred dollars or I could get a 1/6 highly detailed fully posable top of the line red skeleton nazi for twice the price. Yeah I think I'll go for the 1/6 figure.

dude, it's detailed too, very nice detailed......i think
clearly you're not into Japanese figure that much

I kind of want this, but what I really want is a 1:6 comicbook Red Skull in a black Nazi uniform, just like the Sideshow PF.

Pick up the HS off Ebay and a DiD german uniform. Much cheaper than the $200.00 price tag.

Back