Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does the flaking start anyways? Is it caused by friction or does it just chip off by itself even if untouched?

Also, what is the spray that is used again to keep it from flaking?

How does the flaking start anyways? Is it caused by friction or does it just chip off by itself even if untouched?

Also, what is the spray that is used again to keep it from flaking?

It must be the red paint being incompatible with the chroming.
It just falls off on it's own.
I never noticed it on mine till people mentioned it, and when i checked, it had been flaking off for ages. Cap's boots were covered in it.

Same thing for mine. Never touched the painted shield part and it started flaking on the edge of mine. I used Tamiya TS-79 and so far the flaking has stopped. It dulls the shield so no brilliant shine to it anymore, just a heads up.

Do you know if Tamiya TS-79 is available at local art stores? Mine looks like it may start to flake so I'm worried. I'm also concerned about the running paint that I read about somewhere else.

Do you know if Tamiya TS-79 is available at local art stores? Mine looks like it may start to flake so I'm worried. I'm also concerned about the running paint that I read about somewhere else.

You can check to see if you have any local hobby shops or if you don't, I am sure you can order it through Tamiya's website. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. As far as spraying it, follow directions on the can. Light coat and always start spraying, side to side, before and after you pass over the shield ( make a pass).
Hope I didn't confuse you, lol. Good luck!

just flicking through the mandarin phot's from omg and that headsculpt is spot on, makes me hope we get a neutral evans sculpt from winter soldier, as much as I love the captain America from avengers and tfa figure I don't think they have nailed his likeness unmasked just yet

Coated with Tamiya TS-79, looks much more movie accurate! Camera has a broken focus, apologies on the quality of the photo. Here's a comparison with my spare shield. Do I need more coating? The Avengers shield will eventually flake too yes? I should spray that one as well?

Last edited:
I'm thankful mine hasn't started to flake. I wonder if his shield will change at all with his new stealth suit in Winter Soldier.

Haha, I can tell you the answer to that, and I cannot as well. :slap Not now at least. I heard all the shields flake so you should probably prepare. I wish I had, that way I won't have spots of the paint missing on mine. That's why I might spray my spare one as well before it happens.

thanks for the tips on the shield flaking, I have a testors cote for customizing figures that shows the "wet" look...would anyone recommend using that for the first avenger shield?

I finally my flaking one with Tamiya TS-79, looks much more movie accurate with less shine and more dulled down look! Here's a comparison with my spare shield.

For those who have done this before, does it look like I need more coating or is it fine? Also, my spare Avengers shield will eventually flake too yes? Should I spray that one as well or will it be fine if left in the box? Thanks in advance!

I'm seriously thinking about doing this mod to my shield but I'm scared of ballsing it up.
I'm competent using spray paint but is there any other tips and tricks I need to know?

I'm seriously thinking about doing this mod to my shield but I'm scared of ballsing it up.
I'm competent using spray paint but is there any other tips and tricks I need to know?

Just use small coats and spray slowly!!

I seriously screwed mine up and had to come tell repaint it from scratch lol

It looks good though and I'm happy with it.

Back