Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it looks like i now have a soon to be battle damaged shield, picked up a new display case and moved my hot toys into it the other night only to discover paint flaking on caps shield,dosnt appear to be too bad so ill give it a spray of clear coat, funny, its been in a display case since i first got it years ago and i never noticed it, i even looked at it when reports were first being reported on here that the paint was coming off, i thought i dodged the bullet so to speak, but no, it has begun...

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Went to dust detolf shelves and noticed the shield crumbling :mad:

these three version are movie accurate imho.

sent from IPAD mamalemon

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390399236030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390399236030.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 986
I feel like every time I look over it seems to have a little more silver. It is already battle damaged so I don't mind right now, but after a while it just won't look battle damaged anymore... just sloppy.

I feel like every time I look over it seems to have a little more silver. It is already battle damaged so I don't mind right now, but after a while it just won't look battle damaged anymore... just sloppy.

Even the BD Avengers one is not immune. When you catch it in the right light, you can see that it will eventually be similarly affected.
First two pics are fine, but on the lower edge of the bottom image, you can see it's starting.

F433868C-9E61-49C2-B56B-0013DC86C014.jpg

27F19A04-1006-42BE-9BF5-A55AE55C7375.jpg

34A60974-D76C-480D-B28F-C0E123B90FED.jpg

Not sure why but both of my clean shields and BD shield show no signs of flaking. They've been boxed up since initially opening them so that might have something to do with it. Maybe the longer they're exposed to the air or something.

Uh oh.... does that mean I should spray my BD shield as well?

I sprayed both the regular and battle damaged shields as a precaution. But I really don't understand why the battle-damaged shield is showing the same signs of flaking. It's not electro-plated like the regular shield. How the heck did Hot Toys forget how to paint plastic?

I sprayed both the regular and battle damaged shields as a precaution. But I really don't understand why the battle-damaged shield is showing the same signs of flaking. It's not electro-plated like the regular shield. How the heck did Hot Toys forget how to paint plastic?

Yeah, the surface did look and feel different, either painted differently or as if it already had a coating on it, but I guess it's better safe then sorry. I'll spray mine tomorrow when it's daylight out. Thanks! :hi5:

The BD is also having QC issues too? This just sucks! CA just doesn't look right without his colorful shield! :gah:

Hello everyone,
I'm a hot toy UK based noob! (Please be gentle) ;)
Just started collecting this year & this CA FA was my first figure, I also just got selina Kyle & babydoll. I also have iron man MK 42 die cast on pre order.
I'm interested in protecting my caps shield & was wondering if there is any particular type of clear coat I need in order to maintain the nice finish?
I've seen some artshop stuff online & there are 3 options - matt, satin & gloss? Or is the stuff from a car shop fine? I've no idea.
Also is there a particular technique?
Sorry for all the noob questions :)

Just use a clear coat?

Hello everyone,
I'm a hot toy UK based noob! (Please be gentle) ;)
Just started collecting this year & this CA FA was my first figure, I also just got selina Kyle & babydoll. I also have iron man MK 42 die cast on pre order.
I'm interested in protecting my caps shield & was wondering if there is any particular type of clear coat I need in order to maintain the nice finish?
I've seen some artshop stuff online & there are 3 options - matt, satin & gloss? Or is the stuff from a car shop fine? I've no idea.
Also is there a particular technique?
Sorry for all the noob questions :)

Tamiya TS-79, and :welcome1:

Thanks very much :)
I've just checked amazon UK and they have some for £10 shipped which is about 16 bucks US.
Is that expensive or the going rate?
Just wondering if there is a UK alternative that's a bit cheaper.
But if that's the best stuff then ill just order it.

There might be alternatives but I was referred to this particular one by several members here. You would want to speak with Barry, Username Bar, formerly known as Username. I am in the US now and I was able to purchase mine for about $8 shipped. eBay might have some as well. Cheers, mate!

There might be alternatives but I was referred to this particular one by several members here. You would want to speak with Barry, Username Bar, formerly known as Username. I am in the US now and I was able to purchase mine for about $8 shipped. eBay might have some as well. Cheers, mate!

Thanks again for your help, I just checked eBay and the cheapest Ive seen is about £8.60 so about $2 less than Amazon UK.
Will investigate a bit more and get my order in :)
The shield is one of my fave parts on Cap & I wouldn't want it ruined!

Back