1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'll be danged...the master of the living force was delivered on a Sunday! Just some quick thoughts and shots out of the box...

QUI-GON JINN 002.jpg

Big sigh of relief here. Not near as bad as I was expecting, considering the stream of comments in here.

Yes, the production portrait did come out a bit soft, but it still features plenty of features showing age and wear. I'll sound like a broken record in here, but it's a typical HT effort, well crafted, good paint (although mine has a few unintended dark flecks on it). I like it enough.

QUI-GON JINN 001.jpg

The outfit and the boots are excellent. I wish a few more hands were included, like a left "relaxed" one, but that's a quibble. As always, the hair is a bit too dark and could use a bit more grey, but at least it's not another one of those copper-domed ones.

I'm looking forward to futzing and posing this one some more. Jinn is one of my favorite all-time SW characters and I don't see HT producing another version of him, so...at least this one is a decent one.

Last edited:
Well I'll be danged...the master of the living force was delivered on a Sunday! Just some quick thoughts and shots out of the box...

Big sigh of relief here. Not near as bad as I was expecting, considering the stream of comments in here.

Yes, the production portrait did come out a bit soft, but it still features plenty of features showing age and wear. I'll sound like a broken record in here, but it's a typical HT effort, well crafted, good paint (although mine has a few unintended dark flecks on it). I like it enough.

The outfit and the boots are excellent. I wish a few more hands were included, like a left "relaxed" one, but that's a quibble. As always, the hair is a bit too dark and could use a bit more grey, but at least it's not another one of those copper-domed ones.

I'm looking forward to futzing and posing this one some more. Jinn is one of my favorite all-time SW characters and I don't see HT producing another version of him, so...at least this one is a decent one.

Nice shots - he is due tomorrow so while I cant match ur pics will try to throw some up. Qui-gon is a favorite of mine which is pretty much why i picked him up. He'll go nicely with the SSC Obi-wan. Then I just need a Yoda to go with.

Not gonna try to pick up all the PT and ST characters but always liked these Jedi masters. And I will be surprised if Liam Neeson's voice doesn't show up in the Obi-wan series.

Looking forward to your shots and thoughts of this one. Like so many of these figures, the more I look at it, the more I like it.
I haven't even broke out the rest of the gear yet...just enjoying him in the robe and standing there. I'm using the extra "sand" card from the Solo figure on the base right now. That "chrome" surfaced one is pretty fragile.

Just having a little fun with light here as he uses some Jedi persuasion...

PERSUASION.jpg

I'll enjoy shooting pics of him in his other gear and with other figures later...

Looking forward to your shots and thoughts of this one. Like so many of these figures, the more I look at it, the more I like it.
I haven't even broke out the rest of the gear yet...just enjoying him in the robe and standing there. I'm using the extra "sand" card from the Solo figure on the base right now. That "chrome" surfaced one is pretty fragile.

Just having a little fun with light here as he uses some Jedi persuasion...

I'll enjoy shooting pics of him in his other gear and with other figures later...

:) I can't match your shots - but, pretty much out of the box with a cell phone:

quigon.jpg

qui2.jpg

quigon4.jpg

TBH don't know what anyone might complain about - overall, IMO a gorgeous fig and a solid release with the light saber options and holograms. Haven't done anything with him yet - probably hafta wait for the weekend - but quick pros:

1) Really finely done portrait - wrinkles, fine lines around eyes, very fine hair stranding. Folks had me worried he'd be blobby but this IMO is really nice. I guess u could say the hair could be more gray but *shrug*. There is some fine grey at the temples.

2) Great costume with appreciated lined sleeves of the robe. Lots of layers with gentle weathering.

3) You get stuff plus a light up.

Cons - well, u can barely move the head, but am used to that from having Roadworn Thor. I can get some head movement if I am careful.

I guess it could look a bit more like Liam Neeson, but I really don't have a complaint in hand. HT managed to get an expression that looks *mystical* or faintly worried or *deep* which pretty much sums up Liam Neeson unless he is kicking @ss.:lol

Very happy I picked him up:dance and looking forward to playing with him some more.

PS try brushing off the black dots u mentioned - I had one but it just brushed off. I don't know what that was from. My face paint is perfect except the tiniest gloss stroke a the front of the hair - also there is that faint seam line in the hair. I may be able to sort of heat and press out with my fingers.:dunno

I think your shots are great...especially like that third one. Cool background too.

Glad you like him. I'm looking forward to futzing with him more next weekend...big work week now.

I'll try the brush-off for that mark...it's the only blip on what is otherwise a great paint app on the portrait. I have the head seam too, but it's not as bad as some other shots earlier in the thread made it appear. Still, a little sloppy there, HT.

I recently got QGJ too. I want so badly to pinch that sculpt just a tad narrower. I think it would help. Overall nice but just lacking a bit of the Liamness it should have. A bit too soft, a bit too wide and could definitely use a few more age lines.

935EB5C8-D5C1-460A-B596-DA670D7444E3.jpeg

Nice shot and pose. I like how you have the tabbards futzed.

Yes, the portrait could indeed have a little more detail (pretty sure the proto did), but it still looks good.

I think your shots are great...especially like that third one. Cool background too.

Glad you like him. I'm looking forward to futzing with him more next weekend...big work week now.

I'll try the brush-off for that mark...it's the only blip on what is otherwise a great paint app on the portrait. I have the head seam too, but it's not as bad as some other shots earlier in the thread made it appear. Still, a little sloppy there, HT.

Thank you, appreciate compliments from someone who knows what they are doing with photos.:)

I just don't own anything that takes really great razor sharp pics plus the cell phone distortions u can get. But I will try to get a few more up -

guess I haven't compared the proto enough but while I've had meltdowns after getting a sculpt in hand; or outright cancelled a fig when the first in hand pics came out - I'm just really happy with this fig.:)

Luv up close detailing or a nice paint job has - gentle transitions and shading, great eye work - and in hand I see all the little lines and skin folds. Great job with the mouth and beard. Even the hands look good. Great costume and details there as well. He's got some presence and expressiveness. Nothing about the costume looks cheap.

Wouldn't even mind owning 2 of him lol so I could display with robe and with poncho. He's like the quintessential Jedi. I will play with him more later - esp. the light up.:cool:

I feel like phone camera AI really does a number on the smoothing and softening for portraits, and it just seems to hit some sculpts harder than others.

I feel like phone camera AI really does a number on the smoothing and softening for portraits, and it just seems to hit some sculpts harder than others.

I notice with my limited equipment that it's hard to angle so a figure doesn't look squat; and the resolution doesn't match the best pics on this forum.

In hand tho IMO it's an impressive, detailed sculpt including the hair, and IMO the eye work on an actor with deep set eyes is particularly mind blowing (unlike the pedestrian paint of my CW Bucky compared to the proto). Eyes have fine lined upper lid; subtle shading, perfect iris. IMO this isn't one of HT softened sculpts; the ears, nose, skin folds very clear cut along with the hair strands. Nice work for the mouth and beard. Hair has different subtle washes - the kind of thing you pay for with a high end figure.

Will never understand HT's production unevenness in quality.:dunno

Looking forward to the better photographer pics.

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up (I'm sure it has though), but it's possible that Qui Gon's brown cloak has some potential staining issues on the tan garb underneath. I received mine yesterday and noticed some light very staining in a few areas. I soaked the robe under some mildly hot water and laundry detergent and the result was a murky brown pool similar to when I did the same to the HT Obi-Wan and the Anakin figure robes. Just FYI.

Mine arrived this morning and i'm happily blown away:) It's a beautiful set with loads of display options.

I love the head sculpt...yes it's a tad on the soft side as others have said, but it's still a great likeness to Neeson from that period.

Paint apps are the usual high standard with loads of brown hues and greys through the hair and beard.

Here's a few natural daylight shots...

DSC_0073.JPGDSC_0083.JPGDSC_0067.JPGDSC_0089.JPG

WOW Great shots. Sculpt looks good to me. I'm still on the fence but maybe I shouldn't be as this may be the last figure at this price point.

I wish there was a little more articulation with the head...there is some movement but it's limited. Would've been nice too if a sand coloured card cover for the stand was included...

Still nice to have the light-up saber though

DSC_0141.JPGDSC_0142.JPGDSC_0123.JPGDSC_0052.JPG

Mine arrived this morning and i'm happily blown away:) It's a beautiful set with loads of display options.

I love the head sculpt...yes it's a tad on the soft side as others have said, but it's still a great likeness to Neeson from that period.

Paint apps are the usual high standard with loads of brown hues and greys through the hair and beard.

Here's a few natural daylight shots...

Absolutely beautiful pics:clap:clap:clap that do justice to this fig and sculpt - thank you for posting those. Shows what someone who knows what they are doing can do.

Yeah, some comments had me worries but IMO a well done fig - hope to play with him more this weekend!

*Chef's kiss*

THAT's what I'm talking about when it comes to photo smoothing killing some of the shots. Those high quality ones speak for the sculpt quite a bit. Enough I nearly went and just ordered him.

Also I'd be curious to see that Boss Nass with a good repaint.

Edit: 2 hours later, I want you enablers all to know I hate you, and will enable you myself in the future as payback.

Yes it would be interesting to see that Hasbro Nass get a good repaint by one of the talented customizers in here. It's not a bad figure except for the garish paint.

Matrix...how hard was the arm swap out? The lit Saber looks good!

Back