Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: TIE Pilot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up my FO Tie Pilot from fedex and couldn't wait to open him up and have a look. I was never a fan of Tie Pilots but the design on this one has always struck me as the nicest out of all TFA designs. This figure played a large part in me getting the SS OT Tie Pilot as I thought the two generations would look good together.

This is probably going to get me a lot of flak, but the SS OT Tie Pilot is the better figure of these two in my opinion. I like the poses I can get from the SS better (with the exception of the "at ease" arms hanging to the side - HT always gets those better) and in my opinion the SS passes the man in the suit test much better. The helmet just seems too small imo for a full human head to be in it. It's more like SS's clone helmets in that regard.

When I first saw the FO Pilot I was blown away by the design. But the feeling wore off. It got to the stage where I was thinking 'do I really want this?' It would simply be 'a nice figure to have', so I cancelled him.

I also prefer the look of the OT Pilot with his big bug-like helmet. For one thing he's rich with nostalgia, something that The Force Awakens won't earn for many years no matter how good it is.

I'm now considering whether I want any of the new characters from Episode VII, even though I really liked the film.

After all, there's probably a HT storm coming with regards to ESB and ROTJ.

Not really seeing that the SS OT TIE Pilot is better in those shots. Personal preference I suppose. Interesting that momaw didn't like the TIE pilots originally but then got one because he got the TFA pilot.

Too bad the TFA pilot was a let down for you, momaw, but it sure looks like the superior figure in your pictures.

Momaw: did you widen the waist on your classic Tie Pilot? That is the best looking shot I've seen of the Sideshow one.....

I did. Simple tissue wrap around the waist of the body. :monkey3 It still pinches a little and I'm not game to put anymore stress on the belt but it's much more natural now and matches the curve of the OT Stormtrooper waist.

Not really seeing that the SS OT TIE Pilot is better in those shots. Personal preference I suppose. Interesting that momaw didn't like the TIE pilots originally but then got one because he got the TFA pilot.

Too bad the TFA pilot was a let down for you, momaw, but it sure looks like the superior figure in your pictures.

The size variance does seem a little jarring

The size difference is large. The SS one looks like there is a guy under all that, especially the helmet. The SS TP doesn't look like a giant next to other armoured figures. He is slightly taller than the HT OT Stormtrooper. He should be taller as his helmet is bigger with the mohawke, but even so, his shoulders sit that little bit higher (taking into account base height differences). I think the SS TP is a little oversized and the HT TP a little undersized. In a line up both look fine, but in isolation next to each other the size difference is more obvious - especially given the size of the OT helmet which is essentially a stormtrooper helmet with a rebel pilot helmet over the top :lol.

The HT TP is a really nice figure and he has more detail in the flightsuit but I prefer the helmet and chest of the SS. Quality wise, the chest pieces are very similar. And while I like the design of the FO helmet, it really does seem undersized.

I'm as surprised as anyone else that I like the SS better than the HT and it really is a hard call given they are very different designs. From a detail POV the HT wins, but that's because its a more detailed design.

Here's a line up pic. The detail of the pilots is a little lost in this one (not very good lighting conditions here today). The FO Stormtrooper helmet is bigger than the pilots and I think you can see the pilot is a little pinheaded in this shot.

Lineup_zpsrfz7fkyi.jpg

Thank you for that line-up pic, momaw.

I think it shows that the SS one is too big and the HT one is too small, scale-wise.

If you have the SS X-Wing Luke, I would love to see a pic of them standing back to back.

Interesting. The helmet size on the HT TP definitely looks undersized when shown with the other three examples. Ashame... as it is the best of the new designs.

I don't like the dull plastic used for the SS TP gloves and boots -- makes it look very toyish to me. They don't have a sheen like leather would, so its a giveaway to the illusion.

Thank you for that line-up pic, momaw.

I think it shows that the SS one is too big and the HT one is too small, scale-wise.

If you have the SS X-Wing Luke, I would love to see a pic of them standing back to back.

I passed on the SS Luke as I didn't like the look of the final headsculpt. I'm hoping for an ESB pilot Luke.

I suspect Luke would look a little short for a stormtrooper though :rotfl

Interesting. The helmet size on the HT TP definitely looks undersized when shown with the other three examples. Ashame... as it is the best of the new designs.

I don't like the dull plastic used for the SS TP gloves and boots -- makes it look very toyish to me. They don't have a sheen like leather would, so its a giveaway to the illusion.

Have you had a chance to see the figure in person? The gloves are actually really nice and have an aged leather texture that doesn't show up in pictures. The boots also have that texture but the moulded sew lines take away from the illusion. The matt finish on the boots and gloves work better with the canvas style fabric jump suit than shiny would imo. I was surprised the HT pilots boots don't have the same hidden foot articulation as the FO stromtroopers.

Have you had a chance to see the figure in person?

Nope, going by photos only... I'm certain its nicer in person.

But the TFA boots look like they'd go better with the OT pilot, just going by your picture. Anyway, I was kind of wanting the TFA pilot but thankfully your review helped get me over that hump because of the undersized helmet. You just saved $200! Thank you! Gonna spend it on something stupid though in the end. :lol

Nope, going by photos only... I'm certain its nicer in person.

But the TFA boots look like they'd go better with the OT pilot, just going by your picture. Anyway, I was kind of wanting the TFA pilot but thankfully your review helped get me over that hump because of the undersized helmet. You just saved $200! Thank you! Gonna spend it on something stupid though in the end. :lol

If you enjoy what you spend it on, it's not stupid.

Great comp shots, Momaw. I'm a big fan of the SS figure. I for one am GLAD the classic TIE doesn't have"shiny" gloves or boots. I agree with you..."In person" the texture on the SS ones works really well.

Still on the fence regarding the TFA one...gotta say, it looks good when it's not right next to the classic version, but together...not so much (that's just my take based on the pics). The helmet/head does look kinda small. The jumpsuit looks well-tailored, nut really slim...

Got some more pics? :)

Never said you did.... :)

You did say "sheen".... lol

Yes, for lack of a better word sheen was dangerously close to 'shiny', which I wouldn't want either. But I can assume that your comment about boots and gloves was opinion directed at the last mention of boots and gloves reflecting light, which was in fact my comment. I'm not 12, I understand how responses work, even without having to pinpoint the target so please don't treat me like the other children here, JB.

Back