Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: TIE Pilot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey now, wasn't trying to start anything there WG...sorry if you thought I was. Certainly wasn't trying to hit a nerve or anything...

It's OK, nevermind, my post sounds nasty the way I worded it at the end -- it sounded funnier in my head. My apologies. I've known you for a long time so I know you weren't being nasty.

The head looks good there. Wonder why it looks so small on momaw's? Must be the angle.

....or it just could be that the OT helmet is so bulky compared to the TFA one...if you look at eye/face plate area, they're about the same size....the TFA one looks a little more streamlined.

Hey Momaw...got any more comp pictures to share?

My apologies in advance to Momaw for co-opting his photo here....if you look at the eye lines of the two, the OT design just has A LOT more bulk to it...

TIE-EYELINES.jpg

Last edited:
Well i noticed that if the TFA pilot were angled down the way the OT one is it would look at least bigger/longer. I may still pick this up. Just put in an order for the regular Snowtrooper.

Great pics, Jay! Looks really sharp.

And thanks for the comparison photos, momaw. Really helps to see them in the context of other figs.

Nice shots! This guy looks really sharp. Would love to get it, but alas $$ must go elsewhere. Do have to say that if the zipper was any lower on the torso it would look a bit too much like lady parts.:naughty

Must be. This is the first time I looked at his pic and I can guarantee it doesn't look like that in person.

I beg to differ. There is no way a full size human head fits in that helmet unless it is eggshell thin.

No time for extra pics just now, gotta head out. See what I can do later, or tomorrow when I get my Snowtroopers.

It's a great figure. I'm not taking away from that. Just my observation that the helmet is undersized. SS Clones look great too. They also have undersized helmets.

My TFA pilot was shipped out today. Looking at the figure overall, the size of the helmet looks fine to me. It's when you compare him, like in momaws lineup, when you see it looks a little under scaled. I'm going to take a look at the visual dictionary tonight to see if Hot Toys went a little small or if they're on the mark. You'd think using digital scans they would be some of the most accurate sculpts out so far.

IMO, this guy is just too cool looking to pass up. I'm not going to get each trooper variant but I would like to have at least one of each. With the squad leader already on display, I have the Jakku troop shipping out on Thursday, then comes the Snowtrooper officer, flametrooper and finally Phasma. The only question mark then is do I buy TR-8R or wait for the inevitable bloody helmet Finn?

...It's when you compare him, like in momaws lineup, when you see it looks a little under scaled...

Exactly. In isolation the figure is beautiful. It didn't help I unboxed him right next to other troopers so the helmet size jumped out straight away. With the other troopers having so much extra bulk added to them (such as the fat suits) he immediately felt smaller in my hand as well. Had I put him straight on the shelf I probably wouldn't have noticed. Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the fig because I'm not so I'll leave my opinion there on that note. Next posts will be pics...tomorrow.

Wish there was a straight line up since the pilot is clearly in front but couldn't find any pics beyond this one.

Tough to tell the size compared with the other two--looks close, maybe a touch smaller or narrower at least. I'm really not sure how i would display this guy, but based on momaw's pic, an evolution display is probably out. Would be interested to see how Poe looks next to this guy in that case when he eventually comes out.

I respect everybody's opinions, but it looks fine to me. You guys can feel free to keep discussing though while I sprinkle another picture:monkey3

DSC_0362_zpstwv0xdzx.jpg

Still a great looking figure, but yes, smallish.

See the costume above, the "cheeks" of the helmet are over (in line with) the shoulder "clips" on the armor, but on the figure the helmet is 'within' that area (cheeks don't reach the clips).

I did. Simple tissue wrap around the waist of the body. :monkey3 It still pinches a little and I'm not game to put anymore stress on the belt but it's much more natural now and matches the curve of the OT Stormtrooper waist.

The size difference is large. The SS one looks like there is a guy under all that, especially the helmet. The SS TP doesn't look like a giant next to other armoured figures. He is slightly taller than the HT OT Stormtrooper. He should be taller as his helmet is bigger with the mohawke, but even so, his shoulders sit that little bit higher (taking into account base height differences). I think the SS TP is a little oversized and the HT TP a little undersized. In a line up both look fine, but in isolation next to each other the size difference is more obvious - especially given the size of the OT helmet which is essentially a stormtrooper helmet with a rebel pilot helmet over the top :lol.

The HT TP is a really nice figure and he has more detail in the flightsuit but I prefer the helmet and chest of the SS. Quality wise, the chest pieces are very similar. And while I like the design of the FO helmet, it really does seem undersized.

I'm as surprised as anyone else that I like the SS better than the HT and it really is a hard call given they are very different designs. From a detail POV the HT wins, but that's because its a more detailed design.

Here's a line up pic. The detail of the pilots is a little lost in this one (not very good lighting conditions here today). The FO Stormtrooper helmet is bigger than the pilots and I think you can see the pilot is a little pinheaded in this shot.

Lineup_zpsrfz7fkyi.jpg

Ok, very nice and thanks for the tissue idea

Back