Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: Finn 1/6th Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah his sculpt looks weird. Same thing with Rey, at least from the proto shots. Literally looks almost nothing like Daisy Ridley at all. Hopefully that one will actually turn out better than the proto because the likeness just isnt there.

For Finn, its somewhat close, but the proto was definitely better. This is what happens when Hot Toys takes on 6 million different projects at one time. Everything gets rushed. Theyre too busy making 47 different Iron Mans.

I don't think I agree with the furrowed brow or hairline changes in terms of a new sculpt. There no doubt that his expression has been intensified, but again a bit of shading and/or shadow between the eyes will do that. Take a look:

image.png

image.jpg

There's really not much difference here that isn't lighting and paint.

God the pix on the right look so much more like Boyega. Such a shame. The eyes on the left are all wrong.

Coco, I agree, Clipper's vid really showed that the photos just simply aren't capturing it. I'm glad because it makes me feel good for ordering the thing in the first place.

This is a definite purchase. I even like the more stern expression the the production piece seems to have although I suspect the differences from proto to produ are largely due to lighting.

Not all figures get through production the same way. Leia for example looks just like the prototype, and other figures such as Star-Lord, Luke and Han had similar issues as Finn. Different looking sculpt. But it's not bad by any means, and I still want him too.

Last edited:
This is a definite purchase. I even like the more stern expression the the production piece seems to have although I suspect the differences from proto to produ are largely due to lighting.

I agree to a certain extent with you that most of the changes are due to lighting, with the exception of his cupid's bow - the upper lip line, under his nose is much higher and shaped more of a pout on the final release. The angles have been re-sculpted.

The larger top lip also shortens the distance or drop from the bottom of his nose to the top lip.

The ears have been standardized on the final sculpt too. Made simpler and more generic, I've no idea what JB's ears are like in reality, so I'm unsure whether the final or proto is more accurate on this score.

I admit there are differences but I wonder about actual resculpting versus what the sculpt undergoes during the casting/replication process. Obviously what is painted is not what gets put into a mold and then duplicates struck from.

I would love to see a more in depth step by step process. Some of it seems like alchemy and a big mystery (at least to me) as how each step progresses. Obviously I understand the broad steps (someone sculpts it one or many times either in clay or in Zbrush/equivalent... digital allows repeated digital printing in various mediums but with an actual clay head, things can happen at various stages..) I have seen home-casters stretch stuff and distort stuff accidentally so it would be cool to see how the pro's do it. Would love to see an entire complex figure's cut 'n sew steps as well.

Regarding this sculpt, I still think it looks worthy of purchasing, especially as a 2 pack as I have avoided First Order troopers so far so its cool to get a bit of a deal on a special one. Some of the pictures looks better some look worse, they all look like Finn to me in as much as any of my HT figures look like their representative actor/character.

Don't get me wrong , I think it's a good representation of Finn, but was merely playing "spot the difference".
Both look like John Boyega - I do think they tried to make him younger in the final release version, by accentuating his top lip, more child like.

For me I am more inclined to buy an FO Finn Trooper with John Boyega's HS, than this version.

Some others out of the box pictures (mine) >>
b7b0f6d65195a51590c7bd00fd610a8c.jpg

e63a34849f7e7a40cb9f1953954cdaed.jpg

b95e4630f01a7c6cf1e77cd016f71d58.jpg

55667de557bbf8466fc689ff3a27bc36.jpg

I like the sculpt but the jacket is a nightmare to let it sit right on his shoulders [emoji37][emoji31][emoji37][emoji31]

I ended up cancelling mine due to some financial difficulties. Got too many things on preorder. Hey, when I cancel an order at Sideshow, can I order him again(this time using a bunch of saved up reward points)? I didn't use any coupons/points etc on him before. Would they let me do that? Maybe I can reorder him and make him cheaper :)

That's not a problem, darthkush. I've done it before, as well. Cancelled my original pre-order of C3PO and ended up reordering it right before it started shipping.

The biggest thing (literally) that stands out in the production sculpt are his ginormous lips! Boyegas lips arent nearly that big. How do you screw this up that much? Oh well.

The lips are real...

image.jpg

I'm not saying Boyega can't look like the sculpt. He's an actor. Of course he could look like the sculpt. I'm not even saying that there is no inch of film (or virtual film) in TFA that Finn didn't look just like this sculpt. All I'm saying is that a 1/6 figure has one fixed sculpt chance to try to represent the entirety of an actors performance throughout a film (and sometimes a series of films). Whether a figure has accomplished this is probably 100% subjective. For me, this sculpt fails to capture the essence of what I get from Boyega's interpretation of the role.

That's why I'm still weighing my options. But I'll probably bite the bullet and keep my pre-order...

Back