1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Futzed around with the Jawa some more. I did a bit of water treatment to the very bottom of the robes. Replaced the Hot Toys bandolier with the sideshow ones- I found they need to be loosened to the very end of the buckles for them to hang correctly.

Hands are also sideshow's. They seem to be better scaled to my eyes. I also removed the hot toys fur arm warmers, although better than the "fur bracelets" from sideshow - they unfortunately gave him large Popeye forearms. I did end up using the sideshow fur, however I did place a small dab of glue

IMG_20200620_234918__01__01__01.jpg

IMG_20200620_234810__01__01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Coco! The sideshow hands suprisingly hold the blaster even better. I'm still toying around with ideas for the eyes.

Futzed around with the Jawa some more. I did a bit of water treatment to the very bottom of the robes. Replaced the Hot Toys bandolier with the sideshow ones- I found they need to be loosened to the very end of the buckles for them to hang correctly.

Hands are also sideshow's. They seem to be better scaled to my eyes. I also removed the hot toys fur arm warmers, although better than the "fur bracelets" from sideshow - they unfortunately gave him large Popeye forearms. I did end up using the sideshow fur, however I did place a small dab of glue

View attachment 488130

View attachment 488131

Looks much better like this!!

Wow genghisjon! Very impressive what a few simple things can do to vastly improve the look of this figure. Well done!

Now, to add to the discussion of how to get better looking eyes for the HT Jawa, here is the approach the Hasbro took with their "Action Collection" Jawas several years back....painted eyes.

HAS-JAWAS-001.jpg

HAS-JAWAS-002.jpg

Yes, the figures are a little dated and are really nothing more than oversized plastic action figures (with pretty effective sculpting on the robes - hey look! No seam on that hood lol), but as seen here, the painted eyes, while a little large, are quite effective in bright daylight. Something like this could be utilized on the HT Jawa for more effective eyes.

Just a thought....

Last edited:
Good Idea! I think I may keep my eyes peeled for a loose jawa head on Toy Anxiety to repaint the eyes a bright amber/gold tone.

I really do feel if hot toys had two bulbs in the head, instead of one the light up features would look perfect. I may try switching the batteries. Does anyone recommend a strong brand of button cell batteries?

Painted would have been the way to go. I have zero interest in light-up features. The batteries are always a pain to change and can’t be left in without risking leaking/corrosion.

Just bought one of these. Feel like a total idiot.:lol

Was just curious about the cloak texture. Maybe I can port a Sideshow head onto the HT body to fix the eye issue. They both seem to have the light-up mechanism contained within the head.

Sounds like the ball joint is totally different, but I guess you don't really need articulation on the head anyway.

Genghisjon’s is the best I’ve seen this look so far. I wouldn’t fault anybody for getting the set. After watching ANH again over the weekend I can see where HT would have gotten the idea for the robe color and sort of the eyes as well. I prefer the SS Jawa look but I’m also very curious about this one. So much so that I want to have it in hand just to see for myself.

Genghisjon’s is the best I’ve seen this look so far. I wouldn’t fault anybody for getting the set. After watching ANH again over the weekend I can see where HT would have gotten the idea for the robe color and sort of the eyes as well. I prefer the SS Jawa look but I’m also very curious about this one. So much so that I want to have it in hand just to see for myself.

Thanks Coco. I agree, truthfully the ancient Kenner/Hasbro jawa is probably the closest robe color. Having both Sideshow and Hot Toys in hand, I do like the Hot Toys robe better. The color and texture rings more true to me personally. I still really do love the Sideshow figures, minus the the bodies.

I agree on the eyes too, looking at images again I don't think any company has really gotten the eyes "right" I think a lot of folks, even the 501st costumers tend to depict the eyes as two perfectly large bright yellow circles, when they really aren't

The set just arrived from KG Hobby. This delivery only took 18 days door to door, which is a full week less than the last one. Hopefully it's an indication the postal situation is easing up a bit.

Lifting the lid off the box I was pleased to see that the robes aren't as orange-brown as photos make them appear. He's a cute little guy.

The Power Droid is also a little heavier than I was expecting. The plastic reminds me of an old Kenner Star Wars vehicle. He's quite plain and simple and the weathering shines in the light, so, like the Jawa, he's better off away from strong lighting.

As soon I set the droid down I got a Silent Running vibe. :)

The weathering on the gun is excellent. It really looks like it's caked with sand and dust in all the right places.

Overall, it would be fair to say this wasn't Hot Toys' finest hour. The lack of any yellow in the eye lenses really hurts the figure. Sideshow's Jawas have yellow eyes whether the lights are on or not.

I don't leave batteries in any of my figures, so the HT Jawa has to remain with his black glossy lemur-like eyes. Which is probably why he looks so cute.

The stand covers are usable...but I didn't. The Gonk makes for an interesting background character standing directly on the steps up behind Jabba.

There's some curious shapes in these new HT bases. Cut-outs covered with blanks - a small one on the side, and a larger bullet shaped one underneath that looks like it could be employed as a battery compartment.

Just like the Zorro that KGH sent, the customs label was valued higher than usual. Nevertheless this parcel slipped right under their nose without any charges.

50043712852_1e7d77d144_o.jpg

50042897903_7cd95dacf3_o.jpg

50043712922_7ed7436eec_o.jpg

I prefer the texture of the HT robe, and that it doesn't have the prominent stitching that stands out so badly inside the Sideshow hoods.

Sideshow has the better leather work, in that it actually looks like genuine leather, and, of course, far better eyes. In the first photo they're reflecting the direct camera flash, but under the normal room lighting they always reflect enough yellow to give them life.

The set just arrived from KG Hobby. This delivery only took 18 days door to door, which is a full week less than the last one. Hopefully it's an indication the postal situation is easing up a bit.

Lifting the lid off the box I was pleased to see that the robes aren't as orange-brown as photos make them appear. He's a cute little guy.

The Power Droid is also a little heavier than I was expecting. The plastic reminds me of an old Kenner Star Wars vehicle. He's quite plain and simple and the weathering shines in the light, so, like the Jawa, he's better off away from strong lighting.

As soon I set the droid down I got a Silent Running vibe. :)

The weathering on the gun is excellent. It really looks like it's caked with sand and dust in all the right places.

Overall, it would be fair to say this wasn't Hot Toys' finest hour. The lack of any yellow in the eye lenses really hurts the figure. Sideshow's Jawas have yellow eyes whether the lights are on or not.

I don't leave batteries in any of my figures, so the HT Jawa has to remain with his black glossy lemur-like eyes. Which is probably why he looks so cute.

The stand covers are usable...but I didn't. The Gonk makes for an interesting background character standing directly on the steps up behind Jabba.

There's some curious shapes in these new HT bases. Cut-outs covered with blanks - a small one on the side, and a larger bullet shaped one underneath that looks like it could be employed as a battery compartment.

Just like the Zorro that KGH sent, the customs label was valued higher than usual. Nevertheless this parcel slipped right under their nose without any charges.

Mine too arrived from kghobby today. Was a bit worried that the tracking never changed for a week but here. And all good.

I agreed with nearly all you said tbh.
I think the droid needs more weathering and I’m surprised as hot toys are usually better with this.
The stands are horrible. I can’t defend them but I won’t be using them anyway so it’s not. A deal breaker.

The eyes? I think I will pop some colour on them as I too don’t tend to use batteries - if the feature is easy to turn on I do but hot toys aren’t great with this.

As you say not the best thing they even made and a bit over priced but hey it’s ot and I love droids.
Happy I bought it ✅
Wish it was a bit cheaper? Maybe two Jawas and the droid for the price ? Yes. Bu t hey I wish hot toys were half the price ! ��68C79915-1693-440F-8BDA-4154FB1D4C13.jpg

Back