1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tbh, out of all the 1/6 Jawas, I think the best fabric in terms of weave/color combination has been the Hasbro. It just isn't very drapey or poseable, so doesn't work all that well overall for that reason (maybe using some kind of hair-spray type fixative would help to "hold" folds,) but both the Sideshow and Hot Toys fabrics have significant problems in terms of either color or weave.

The Sideshow is much closer in terms of color, even if it's not reddish enough, but has a weave that's more like soft t-shirt fabric whereas the HT has the weave pattern almost perfect but the color is way off (and really doesn't match any Jawa robe ever seen onscreen, only color-faded stills.)

20200803_154453.jpg

20200803_154530.jpg

20200803_154327.jpg

Finally got to open these guys up.
Have to say it,I Love them!!
I've never owned the Hasbro or SSC Versions.
I will admit,the sand base plasticy thing is a bit dodge,but I can look past that for the figures themselves.
I probably will never use the light up function.
Am hoping that HT go on to make a Jawa and R5D4 set.

View attachment 492139

I will admit,the sand base plasticy thing is a bit dodge,but I can look past that for the figures themselves.

Great shots, Glenn! Cool that the HT R2 fits on the poop muffin base. I should have this set next week and I can judge for myself. I still have the Hasbro one in my display (except for the plastic belts, it hold up really well) and the Sideshow ones with those cursed rag-doll bodies that once futzed and posed, look great.

Looking forward to futzing the HT one to see who good it can look. Post more pictures!

Nice pics, but I really hate how the black fabric inside the hood billows outward like that. You really can't futz it out either.

The hood may lack the seam that the SSC one has, and that's a great thing, but the hood is still really problematic in multiple ways.

I still can't believe HT did the same stupid thing that SSC did by putting the switch on the back of the head (meaning you have to mess up the hood futz to switch it on/off) and then they went one step further and added velcro on the top of the head. just crazy.

Great shots, Glenn! Cool that the HT R2 fits on the poop muffin base. I should have this set next week and I can judge for myself. I still have the Hasbro one in my display (except for the plastic belts, it hold up really well) and the Sideshow ones with those cursed rag-doll bodies that once futzed and posed, look great.

Looking forward to futzing the HT one to see who good it can look. Post more pictures!

Will do and thanks JB!!

View attachment 492139

I ordered the Jawa/Gonk stands for my droids and ANH Luke from Toy Anxiety. I know they're crappy quality to touch, but 99% of the people that will ever see my display will be like 'oh cool sand.'

Got this set in last week. First chance I've had to take a look at it.

Here's a couple of very quick shots out of the box:

Jawa:

IMG_20200813_163944.jpg

After watching several videos and reading the back and forth in here over this figure, I was prepared for the worst. Happy to say from my perspective at least, it is not nearly as bad in hand as I was expecting.

The robe is noticeably lighter than either the Hasbro or the sideshow one. The material is an interesting one...kind of stiff. I wish the hood could be pulled forward and the black lining rolled away from the edge a bit more...I'll futz with it to see what can be done. The body is (of course) tighter than the Sideshow one but but it's not perfect. The ankles are a bit loose so achieving wide poses/stances while having the figure stay upright unsupported can be a challenge. But nowhere near the level of sloppiness the Sideshow one has.

My first impression is good. Haven't tried the eyes yet. I'll futz and snap some more shots and see how I feel...

Gonk:

IMG_20200813_164606.jpg

I love this little guy. I think the detailing is fine. Any more might betray the scale. The light weight doesn't bother me either. I think the feet are pretty cool too. A+ for this one.

The poop muffin stands aren't quite as hideous in hand. Yes, they are poorly executed but not that bad. They do feel cheap but presumably once they are set up for display, they're ok.

More shots and thoughts later....

Wow...is interest in this set dead in here already? Unfortunate if so. No new posts for it since I posted yesterday...

Got the Jawa outside today for some shots. Before anyone asks, no, the eyes are not that bright outside. I gave them a little help for the shots. The eyes are the biggest FAIL on this figure. The single light source for both eyes, the ridiculous "lids", the (WTF) red tint and the smooth cartoon-like face. Ugh. Was able to pull the hood forward by pulling it off of the velcro.

The overall look of the figure is good. The gun, welder and droid caller are well done. The bandoleers look better in person. Will I get another one? We'll see what comes with the possible next one and if they improve the eyes. This set is overpriced, but judging from recent POs that have been offered, that appears to be the new normal.

On with the shots:

HT-JAWA-001.jpg

HT-JAWA-003.jpg

HT-JAWA-005.jpg

HT-JAWA-006.jpg

Excellent shots!

:clap

Love the last one with Obi-Wan.

Interest for this figure hasn't been high, given the price point and niggling issues that some have with it. I think it's a great set though and am happy to have a pair of the Jawas in my collection.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Wow...is interest in this set dead in here already? Unfortunate if so. No new posts for it since I posted yesterday...

Got the Jawa outside today for some shots. Before anyone asks, no, the eyes are not that bright outside. I gave them a little help for the shots. The eyes are the biggest FAIL on this figure. The single light source for both eyes, the ridiculous "lids", the (WTF) red tint and the smooth cartoon-like face. Ugh. Was able to pull the hood forward by pulling it off of the velcro.

The overall look of the figure is good. The gun, welder and droid caller are well done. The bandoleers look better in person. Will I get another one? We'll see what comes with the possible next one and if they improve the eyes. This set is overpriced, but judging from recent POs that have been offered, that appears to be the new normal.

On with the shots:

View attachment 493127

View attachment 493128

View attachment 493129

View attachment 493130

Great shots as always, jedibear. :clap

The head really killed this figure for me, and then I think comic con and other arrivals took everyone's focus away. Robe color is less of an issue for me, and I like the gonk enough.

I remember enjoying the SS Jawa quite a bit when I got them. The floppy bodies made me try sitting poses, etc. Didn't have the same enjoyment from this one unfortunately.

Do hope they offer the R5 we saw.

Jedibear really does take amazing pics that bring figures to life. But even his skills can't stop this looking like a toy doll :monkey2

I'm actually OK with the Sideshow R5. If HT were to offer another Jawa with a droid, I'd like to see it be something from the ANH droid auction that we haven't seen in sixth scale before. And I hear you...I really enjoyed the SSC Jawas (floppy bodies and all) when I got them and I had a great time snapping shots. Because of the floppy bodies, I ended up posing the two of them "working" on R5...using the droid as a support for them....

J-A-W-A-S-_008.jpg

As for this new HT version...I'm unsure how he'll end up on display...probably next to the Gonk. Gotta say, the Gonk in this set is the major selling point. The SSC on may have a seam on the hood, but it can be futzed to look better from the front than the HT version.

I do appreciate what HT was going for here....it just doesn't blow me away.

HT-JAWA-004.jpg

Back