1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait and see I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200413-225651_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200413-225651_Chrome.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 270
Can?t wait to see how this little overpriced guy turns out. Still I?ll have to buy him, but in the meantime I couldn?t help buying another set of the SSC Jawas since I can?t get enough Jawas. Beside the useless body (pain in the ass junk) these guys will be hard to beat. The real leather work is absolutely perfect. Maybe the robe can be beat by HT, but who knows, HT doesn?t have a flawless history with robes and capes...
70f4555a96d1fcd8b3704f90b853657e.jpg

I agree, the leather quality and craftsmanship on these guys is top-notch. The bandolier and that vest are some of the best leatherwork in my collection. I have been thinking about picking up another pair... cuz they are just too damn cool!

59BA543B-9685-4C31-964D-3FE1D410D909.jpg

Still curious to see how the HT version will turn out.

The Sideshow Jawas are great to have despite the issues we are all aware of by now. No intention of replacing them but I did buy a HT just to see how it turns out and potentially have a "hero" Jawa out in front.

baseJawas.jpg
base.jpg

Yeah these little guys are great. One day I'll get around to finishing off and printing my Jundland Wastes base for them.

I really want this Jawa/Gonk set but the price. $300 roughly after taxes & shipping through sideshow is insane. HK sellers have it for around $230 which is a little better. Be cool to have in my upcoming Mando set even if these Jawa?s are different

This set is still on my radar, but I haven’t pre-ordered. Kind of want to see how good the final product turns out (more for the Jawa itself). Gonk would be nice to have.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Looking forward to see the material HT uses for the leatherwork. It?s kind of a dealbreaker.

This set is still on my radar, but I haven?t pre-ordered. Kind of want to see how good the final product turns out (more for the Jawa itself). Gonk would be nice to have.

The custom gonk that rustyj sculpted (resin casts recently shown in customs section) is more accurate than the Hot Toys version. I'm still curious to see how the HT one turns out but the rustyj one just looks noticeably better, and I believe he's offering it painted by Pete (part of the custom landspeeder team.)

Looking forward to see the material HT uses for the leatherwork. It?s kind of a dealbreaker.

Yeah while their bodies are crap and the cloak/hood fabric only okay to decent, Sideshow really hit their Jawa leather work out of the park. I can't imagine HT will top those bandoliers.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Btw a little tip. I think the jawas look much better when the bandoleers are adjusted to hang lower. There?s plenty of extra length in them.

i paid in full to an online store that said they had this set instock,unfortunately it was a user error.
Not bummed,just means I get to pick something else in the meantime...

Re: Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Btw a little tip. I think the jawas look much better when the bandoleers are adjusted to hang lower. There?s plenty of extra length in them.

I'll have to try that. I bought two sets for super cheap and just threw them on display without much playing around/futzing.

I do hope an affordable smaller child type body becomes available in the next few years like the "fat body" did. Would be great to port they SSC Jawas over to them - while the cloaks could be a touch better, I really don't have much other problem with them other than the bodies (and neother of my sets were hugely rpoblematic, but I kept thinking "start playing around with the joints and the bodies will get loose fast")

I'll have to try that. I bought two sets for super cheap and just threw them on display without much playing around/futzing.

I do hope an affordable smaller child type body becomes available in the next few years like the "fat body" did. Would be great to port they SSC Jawas over to them - while the cloaks could be a touch better, I really don't have much other problem with them other than the bodies (and neother of my sets were hugely rpoblematic, but I kept thinking "start playing around with the joints and the bodies will get loose fast")

Agree.
Here?s a couple of shots with the looser bandoleers.
9ba4139fa9b92e34273fcebcfe24528e.jpg

50f5b49716c7a29912369aaa38977d26.jpg

I haven't tried it yet, but I saw on an old video for a Sideshow figure that they put a small piece of flat rubber band in the joint.

This effectively filled the gap and increased friction on the ball joint in the hole, while also being somewhat flexible.

I might try it on the weekend to make the joints a bit tighter.

Has anyone tried that idea ?

I also swapped the"leather" vest on mine to the taller one so the smaller one was more like our hero Jawa who blasts R2. My bodies are loose but not so loose they don't hold a pose or stand. I've got the Hot Toys Jawa set on PO but I did that more for the Gonk droid (which became redundant once I got on the Rusty/Scratchbuilder/Pete the Painter list for one of those super accurate versions). Personally I don't think the HT looks better than the SS, it's head proportions seem way off to ANH in my opinion. SS did a great job (body aside) and I don't expect the HT to be an improvement (again, body aside).

I'm really just curious how the HT fabric comes out for the robe. It is a super, super tricky thing to get right and if you go with accurate texture, those types of fabrics don't drape well. Sideshow seemed to go with a fabric that flowed/draped really well (you can really futz the crap out of it) versus something that has the exact right weave to it.

I wonder if HT has found a "bullseye" fabric that looks right but also drapes very well. Given how poorly stuff like the HT Ben robe and the HT Leia dress came out (both very tricky fabrics to get right) my guess is not. HT Ben's robe is almost a light chamois fabric and the HT Leia dress is almost like very light shower curtain fabric.

Back