Hot Toys - MMS 95 - Terminator Salvation - John Connor- spec + hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Terminator: Salvation-John Connor- spec + hi-res pics

Some of the problem with the look is the flash used for the picture. Flashes are always bad when shooting something that small. It flattens everything out and in turn you lose the little details. Like texture and wrinkles. I'm still very excited to get it and cant wait to see more pictures. If you want a good example, look at all the picture variations on the Hellboy thread. He has fantastic texture and in some you can't tell. Note for the photographers, don't use the flash!

:lecture:lecture:lecture Very true.

i really think both sculpts look great, if i had to choose i'd go with the 1st option but this last one looks good too. and yep, its probably the flash that screwed this pic up and makes it hard to appreciate all the little details.

Some of the problem with the look is the flash used for the picture. Flashes are always bad when shooting something that small. It flattens everything out and in turn you lose the little details. Like texture and wrinkles. I'm still very excited to get it and cant wait to see more pictures. If you want a good example, look at all the picture variations on the Hellboy thread. He has fantastic texture and in some you can't tell. Note for the photographers, don't use the flash!

I agree totally, too many people here take photos with flash, it takes the paint detail on the head all away. And from that you get comments saying it looks awful.

I agree totally, too many people here take photos with flash, it takes the paint detail on the head all away. And from that you get comments saying it looks awful.

IMO the best thing to do is try taking pics outside on the deck or next to a tree to see the real detail. But for the best detail (sculpt) interior would probably be best with the right light and no flash.

If you look at the promo pics you have at least three lights sources, maybe four. These things are being shot by professional photographers that have the resources to make the product look the very best it can. If you look at Hot Toys website they have moved up in the photo complexity. The early figure lighting is pretty weak, but as the sculpts get better and the prices go up, so does the complexity of their shots. They go from single light shots to key and fill lights with additional washes. They are trying get the best possible shots to sell their product, no doubt.

Don't know if these were posted but some more pics from Toy-World

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

I can see V2 ending up with a changed sculpt with quite a few not 100% happy with it.
Might end up with another joker and bank robber situation where people are buying the sculpts or end up with both figures even though they wern't planning it.

Then of course they release the dx version with the best of both. :lol
I'm going to wait until the second one just to see what its like and then see what I want to do. I think in the end I will end up buying parts from both.

The V2 hasn't actually been confirmed has it ?.
I know it looks a dead set but did it get confirmed ?.

Some shots look like some of the likeness was lost and others look fine. Anyone who was disappointed by the likeness in the first place won't be completely happy regardless. Still a must-buy for me.

Agree on the flash issue. I don't understand why so many people use flash when taking their in-hand pics. I'm one to talk because my pics are poorly prepared at best but I hate using flash because it wipes out all shadow which is vital in capturing the realism of these sculpts and outfits.

I thought the original sculpt was dead on. This doesn't look like Bale anymore. It almost seems like they had to change the sculpt for licensing issues.:(

Well, maybe I'll just get another one of Eric Sosa's sculpts. Those things are BEAUTIFUL!

Here's one painted up by Seb! Beautiful work man!

IMG_2634.jpg

I thought the original sculpt was dead on. This doesn't look like Bale anymore. It almost seems like they had to change the sculpt for licensing issues.:(

Well, maybe I'll just get another one of Eric Sosa's sculpts. Those things are BEAUTIFUL!

Here's one painted up by Seb! Beautiful work man!

IMG_2634.jpg

thought this was a custome figure

He's saying he wants to buy another one of those custom heads to replace HT's disappointment.

Yep. It sucks, because I'm normally blown away by HT's stuff. However, as mentioned earlier, this feels like a Joker V1 situation.

Yep. It sucks, because I'm normally blown away by HT's stuff. However, as mentioned earlier, this feels like a Joker V1 situation.

which is the exact reason I'm personally waiting. I only want one figure of this guy and if the next one has a more impressive sculpt , base and accessories thats the one I'll want.
I don't find it annoying I have to wait though , its awesome we get so many choices. I just hope they change the sculpt and to increase sales of the next figure I have a feeling they well.
I mean they've already changed the Marcus one.

Is it just me, or does this look like a Medicom figure? (Super blue eyes lol)

OMG...
the HS is so OUT!!!!
it looks almost nothing like the prototype...
the finishing, the eye colour, the texture, skin colour.... all off!!
im gonna cancel this for sure....if its not too late...
grrr....def. a step backward in terms of HS.
This sucks...but i still think the unifrom is spot on...

That's what happens when a prototype is shown prior to production. In the same way car manufacturers design "Concept Cars". You will never see a production car that resembles it's "concept" exactly. The reality factor sets in, and changes are made to facilitate cost and production issues.
Prototypes serve a purpose, to generate hype, and excitement. They are a marketing tool....as well as setting a bar for production to shoot for.

The prototype shows a piece in it's best possible "light" so to speak. Then it is up to HT to wrangle production into replicating what the original artists/company envisioned.
HT will make the best proto/master they can...we have seen this time and time again.
Everything that goes into these "masters" are honed to a precision. Castings (usually resin, and resin doesn't shrink/pinch like production PVC) clothing, and paint. Paint is done by JC Hong, who is a master at what he does. The pieces are lit and photographed to take every advantage possible at making the piece look awesome, and they do. Photoshopped back drops...you name it.

So...when production finally cranks these pieces out, it really is a wait and see game. And it is pretty much guaranteed that you will never get a piece that looks exactly like the prototypes. On top of that....photos of production figures start flying around the net that definitely don't show the figs in the best light! Bad photography alone can make a great piece look like crap.

All I am saying is that once you arm yourself with this knowledge...you will understand why things turn out the way they do sometimes, instead of freaking out.
It's so funny to see old threads where people get worked up into a lynch mob mentality, and cry foul. Then someone gets the actual figure in hand and says..."hey, this thing is pretty cool, much better in person".
Then it becomes..."ah!!! What!!! I wished I would have kept my order"....

Half the fun of this "hobby" is to tweak, and alter the figure to make it look the best it can. Personally, I am never 100% happy with a figure right out of the box. But that's just me.

T-mex

I have paid half of the PO already, so ^^^^^in bout the paint job most certainly wont help.

There's always a silver lining to it, at least I have already owned a kojun bale:monkey3

Back