1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 320 - Star Wars Ep.VII - Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That also introduced us to STAR WARS. This is 2015 with 6 movies of examples of what mistakes not to repeat. Can we really not do any better in this day and age? Or should we just continue to find more excuses for why this is acceptable?
Also not only did this movie copy multiple things from a new hope, but it had significantly more problems lol.

You don't like it. We get it. Why not just ignore it?
Why not just steer clear of the SW threads?

He's ventured in only to rag on the movie and the characters. His first foray into the Star Wars section at all was to do just that, predicting "jar jar Abrams" would do a disservice to SW the way he did to Star Trek. Obviously has no interest in any of the figures. There has to be another site/place to clog up threads that are at least supposed to be about the movie.

Saw the movie on Wednesday and really enjoyed Ren. People comparing him to Anakin I think are off-track but to each their own. I liked how he was handled in pretty much all respects and think Driver did a great job. Movie wasn't perfect by any means (I loathe the fact they did another Death Star and even went to the trouble to explain that it was bigger than the last 2... ugh) but overall it set the stage nicely for Eps VIII and IX.

Looking forward to how all the new characters develop over the next two movies. Think Ren has the makings to be a great villain. If I were interested in the character, though, a Driver sculpt would now be a necessity to me but guessing that'll have to wait until Ep VIII.

Some people love to champion their contrarian opinions, despite how ridiculous they are.

It has to be said, all opinions are valid. From the point of view of the person stating them. I actually *really* like the 2014 Robocop. It's a decent movie, in a totally different tone to the original. Just a statement of my own opinion. I loved the original SW films(Still like the prequels for all their flaws), and reckon TFA is a nice taster for what is to come.
I understand someone coming in here and saying: "I was disappointed with this movie. I expected more, etc".
But to come in here smashing it over our heads again and again and again seems a bit redundant.

TonTon said:
Obviously has no interest in any of the figures.

Some people love to champion their contrarian opinions, despite how ridiculous they are.

Username said:
But to come in here smashing it over our heads again and again and again seems a bit redundant.

worldburn-top.jpg

It has to be said, all opinions are valid. From the point of view of the person stating them. I actually *really* like the 2014 Robocop. It's a decent movie, in a totally different tone to the original. Just a statement of my own opinion. I loved the original SW films(Still like the prequels for all their flaws), and reckon TFA is a nice taster for what is to come.
I understand someone coming in here and saying: "I was disappointed with this movie. I expected more, etc".

I too liked Padilha's reboot.

But Driver's Kylo was fierce, and mad. Every scene he's in he easily steals. Even when Rey gets the upper hand Driver just eats every frame (there's this great moment where she's already pushing him back and he stumbles whilst grinning).

His reaction to Rey's power in the torture room, the shame in his eyes as Han proposes taking him home, "Traitor!!!!!!"....

Excellent characterization by a great actor.

idwxe8.png

Yes..my thoughts exactly.
Loved when he screamed traitor to Finn and all his lightsaber twirls lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So as long as my opinions are positive than its ok to clog up a figure thread with them. Got it.

The fact that you keep coming back to this thread to diss on the character obviously shows that you didn't "get it" yet. This is not the general TFA thread where you can talk about the movie. This thread is about Kylo Ren himself, so I don't see what you're doing in here if you hate the character...

Saw SW VII yesterday, loved it....I thought Ren was superb. Love the part at the begining where he stops the blaster-shot using the force and the bullet/ray/thing is just suspended in mid air. Adam Driver was great.

You all talk about Vader without thinking about Epidode 1-3 Vader. Anakin Skywalker wasnt that different then Kylo Ren in Episode 8.

You all talk about Vader without thinking about Epidode 1-3 Vader. Anakin Skywalker wasnt that different then Kylo Ren in Episode 8.

I think the comparison with Anakin that I see is that this is what I would have wanted to see. Better acting namely, but also more time in the suit as Vader.
The turn to evil was rushed for me with Anakin, would have really liked to see him in the suit for all, most of Episode III. With Ren they have the benefit of making him somewhere between episode III Anakin and Vader right off the bat. Don't have to see the full transition, which was rendered extremely difficult in the prequels with Anakin by starting with an 8 year old who showed zero signs of evil for the entire first movie.

For the record, I loved Kylo Ren as a character. I had reservations going in, but both the excellent writing and Driver's incredible performance sold the character as a believable, damaged villain. Walking the line between whiny brat and tortured soul is extremely difficult to do, both for the actor and the scribe.

Absolutely no offense meant, but anyone that casually dismisses Kylo as a character may not have a firm grasp of pathos, writing, or development. To have this fearsome villain who at first one might assume is a generic baddie, and slowly see the cracks in his mask and psyche adds an incredible amount of depth and refreshing heart to a character that has his face obscured for most of his screen time. At his very core, he is being torn apart by two very distinct legacies of the dark and the light, which is something many people can relate to. His tantrums were superb. That he is feared both for his power and instability is great as it lends itself well to both humorous and serious moments.

He is different and, perhaps, different than what some may have wanted or expected. However, the lineage is clearly there. Well balanced in the subtlest of ways, if you stop and think about it.

I understand these comparisons to Vader are inevitable, if unnecessary. Were he just a complete clone of Vader, people would complain it's more of the same. Frankly, it would also be a bit boring and would not work as well in an energetic, emotion and character driven plot. Some would've been happy with a near silent and flat but visually arresting spectacle like Darth Maul, but that's not what this movie or Star Wars as a whole needs now.

Darth Vader is Darth Vader, and deserves more than to have his character retread cheaply. Now we have a new villain for a new trilogy, who has Vader in his blood and wants to be like him. More importantly, wants to be seen as being like him. This, too, is something a lot of people should be able to relate to. The irony being that he's more like his grandfather than he realizes - just Anakin, not Vader. He is everything Anakin should've been had Lucas been a better writer and director.

Driver did his legacy proud in TFA and I for one can't wait to see how the character develops in VIII and IX.

For the record, I loved Kylo Ren as a character. I had reservations going in, but both the excellent writing and Driver's incredible performance sold the character as a believable, damaged villain. Walking the line between whiny brat and tortured soul is extremely difficult to do, both for the actor and the scribe.

Absolutely no offense meant, but anyone that casually dismisses Kylo as a character may not have a firm grasp of pathos, writing, or development. To have this fearsome villain who at first one might assume is a generic baddie, and slowly see the cracks in his mask and psyche adds an incredible amount of depth and refreshing heart to a character that has his face obscured for most of his screen time. At his very core, he is being torn apart by two very distinct legacies of the dark and the light, which is something many people can relate to. His tantrums were superb. That he is feared both for his power and instability is great as it lends itself well to both humorous and serious moments.

He is different and, perhaps, different than what some may have wanted or expected. However, the lineage is clearly there. Well balanced in the subtlest of ways, if you stop and think about it.

I understand these comparisons to Vader are inevitable, if unnecessary. Were he just a complete clone of Vader, people would complain it's more of the same. Frankly, it would also be a bit boring and would not work as well in an energetic, emotion and character driven plot. Some would've been happy with a near silent and flat but visually arresting spectacle like Darth Maul, but that's not what this movie or Star Wars as a whole needs now.

Darth Vader is Darth Vader, and deserves more than to have his character retread cheaply. Now we have a new villain for a new trilogy, who has Vader in his blood and wants to be like him. More importantly, wants to be seen as being like him. This, too, is something a lot of people should be able to relate to. The irony being that he's more like his grandfather than he realizes - just Anakin, not Vader. He is everything Anakin should've been had Lucas been a better writer and director.

Driver did his legacy proud in TFA and I for one can't wait to see how the character develops in VIII and IX.

:goodpost: :exactly:

Just a couple of points:
1. Kylo Ren will likely have his training completed in the next movie, I expect him to become that evil lord everyone is expecting.
2. I said this time and again, Hayden Christensen was a very good actor before signing up to the prequels, but having handed a script and lines that no one can act to, he was in a no win situation. We have seen this before, I lay the blame strictly and squarely on one George Lucas.

Back