1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 317 - Star Wars Ep.VII - First Order Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, this is the one I want. Obviously a custom of this would be pretty easy, but still. It'd be cool to have the bloodied helmet version. I think we might still see a PO from Sideshow even if it's just available at the event initially, but who knows--copper chrome figure was never made available, but the squad leader was made available in huge numbers after initially being just the 300 at Force Friday in TRU.

I posed it pretty easily without removing the fat suit. Just got to extend it past the point of where you want it, then tap it down. Been holding this pose for over two months.

20160125_165707_zpsydlbnwv3.jpg

20160125_165757_zpsi80fnmoz.jpg

So I unpacked my first FO Stormie today...and like pretty much everybody has pointed out - it's a pig to pose. I like to display my figures without stands - but this guy just doesn't feel particularly solid without extra support. It's a pretty heavy figure, weighed in hand comparison between ANH Stormie and this, and I think most of that weight is up top. His boot soles seem a little squishy too.
I've got another coming in by default as part of the Finn & Riot Stormtrooper set, and had been considering the FO Stormie officer (red pauldron) but that's it for me. I don't need more of these. Unless the officer bombs in price I think I can live with just the two.

So I unpacked my first FO Stormie today...and like pretty much everybody has pointed out - it's a pig to pose. I like to display my figures without stands - but this guy just doesn't feel particularly solid without extra support. It's a pretty heavy figure, weighed in hand comparison between ANH Stormie and this, and I think most of that weight is up top. His boot soles seem a little squishy too.
I've got another coming in by default as part of the Finn & Riot Stormtrooper set, and had been considering the FO Stormie officer (red pauldron) but that's it for me. I don't need more of these. Unless the officer bombs in price I think I can live with just the two.

I need the officer. So far I have Kylo, 2 troopers, 1 squad leader, 1 heavy gunner and 1 tie fighter pilot. Phasma is on pre order also. When I win the lotto I will buy the transport ship from Hot Toys and commission a diorama to place them in.

I need the officer. So far I have Kylo, 2 troopers, 1 squad leader, 1 heavy gunner and 1 tie fighter pilot. Phasma is on pre order also. When I win the lotto I will buy the transport ship from Hot Toys and commission a diorama to place them in.

That's a lot of FO personnel. :lol

My stormtrooper first order custom with
red colored pauldron
Blaster rifle Captain Phasma repainted
Back pack
Ammo chest rig

160721031001879332.jpg

160721031001525782.jpg

160721031002775961.jpg

(Sorry to resurrect an old thread...)

Public service announcement! Tired of your duckface episode 7 trooper? The stormtrooper helmet was changed by the last jedi design team between episodes 7 and 8 to make it less friendly and more mean. See image from 'the art of the last jedi' book below;

830F6CD6-3A01-445E-8B27-726EA6A46562.jpg

As hot toys didn't release a stormtrooper from Episode 8 or 9 we don't have an easy way to get the improved design... however if you have an 'Executioner trooper' from episode 8, in addition to the matt black parts, Hot Toys did actually make to the effort to change the faceplates and add the teeth.

I got really used to the new design as its the one they use in the Battlefront 2 game. It always bugged me a little that my stormtrooper was the old helmet design. I had a play today and found out today it's super easy to pop off the faceplate, prize out the black rubber 'mouth' part and switch them over. Hey presto! Much meaner looking stormtrooper. It takes about 5 mins with a screwdriver to do. It all goes back together firmly without the need to reglue it so it can be switched back easily if needed.

40801232-D4D9-4FEC-A28D-0DF3166CE765.jpg

04B7A96A-C76D-402D-B30E-04130579DA5E.jpg

71C40DCD-BC35-4FE0-9B9D-9222543ECC38.jpg

746D17D4-9AA9-4206-9261-C8C43BE7AD04.jpg

The updated look to me is much cooler. It's a small change but it pleases me - As Star Wars fans we are all about the details so I thought I'd share incase anyone else wanted to do it. Heres some more pics...

F53ADD81-08F7-484D-8F3B-50B22A6A50C9.jpg

9E73898D-40A8-4379-AC83-9FCE83DB8212.jpg

19741E8C-12F7-4C18-8EED-544515C187E5.jpg

JR

Last edited:
(Sorry to resurrect an old thread...)

Public service announcement! Tired of your duckface episode 7 trooper? The stormtrooper helmet was changed by the last jedi design team between episodes 7 and 8 to make it less friendly and more mean. See image from 'the art of the last jedi' book below;

View attachment 484293

As hot toys didn't release a stormtrooper from Episode 8 or 9 we don't have an easy way to get the improved design... however if you have an 'Executioner trooper' from episode 8, in addition to the matt black parts, Hot Toys did actually make to the effort to change the faceplates and add the teeth.

I got really used to the new design as its the one they use in the Battlefront 2 game. It always bugged me a little that my stormtrooper was the old helmet design. I had a play today and found out today it's super easy to pop off the faceplate, prize out the black rubber 'mouth' part and switch them over. Hey presto! Much meaner looking stormtrooper. It takes about 5 mins with a screwdriver to do. It all goes back together firmly without the need to reglue it so it can be switched back easily if needed.

View attachment 484298

View attachment 484294

View attachment 484297

View attachment 484300

The updated look to me is much cooler. It's a small change but it pleases me - As Star Wars fans we are all about the details so I thought I'd share incase anyone else wanted to do it. Heres some more pics...

View attachment 484299

View attachment 484296

View attachment 484295

JR

That looks great, kudos [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm honestly struggling to see a difference...

It’s there if you know what you’re looking for.
the problem is that entire mask shape was altered for the movie and all HT did was change the nose part.
This is a good job, but it’s a shame the FO troopers all looked like iPod versions of the OT troopers. It would have been very easy to make them meaner than the OT ones.
Dont get me wrong, I quite like the design. But on the whole, most people didn’t.

It’s not much of a difference, honestly. But it does make them less cartoony/ friendly and a little meaner.

In many ways I wish the ST was a little braver with its designs. Stormtroopers, tie fighters, walkers etc are pretty close rehashes. The concept art in the art of books shows in many cases a more interesting direction was taken and then reigned back to be familiar OT style.

But hey. I’m just happy to have new Star Wars movies and I still like them :)

Back