Hot Toys MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys – MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

How I've felt during most of these comparisons:

eyedoctor.jpg

I'm all for discriminating taste, but I just don't see a lot of difference. I'm not crapping on folks who do, I'm just not among them. I feel the same way when people do screenshots that compare graphics on the Xbox One and PS4. I'm also the guy who looks at comparisons of all the capes (stock and custom) for the DX09 Batman and think they all look great, so there ya go.

Re: Hot Toys – MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Ya'll are nit-pickier than ever. I remember why I stopped coming here.

I'm more worried bout that crease in the rubber

Statements like these is why it's hard to take all of these complaints seriously. You guys are looking for things to be angry about, so naturally you find them.

In this case, the "crease" in the rubber, that has been mentioned multiple times, is deliberate and is in fact part of the design of the suit.

There are some legitimate complaints - the lazy choice to re-use DX09 faceplates, the lack of blood on the Wayne sculpt, the awkward PERS panel, the inaccurate torn cowl (should go up to his ears), etc.

But a lot of the complaints are really quite unfair.

You complain he looks like Val Kilmer? Of course he does, when you pose his body and eyes in Kilmer-esque poses, it will inevitably remind you of Kilmer's Batman - that would be true in real life too.

His philtrum is too long? How come it only looks like that in some pictures - and an error in the molding process would affect either a faceplate or the cowl, but not BOTH, in equal amounts.

The Keaton sculpt sucks? I'm not so sure. Some pictures look fine and he looks like Keaton to me. It all depends on the photographer and the lighting. We all know this - some photographers can make any great figure look bad or inaccurate, and we have such a small sample size of photos for this figure at such an early date.

The mouthplates don't fit quite right? Come on - DX09 had the exact same issue, and most of us figured out we just have to slightly adjust the faceplate and fiddle with it - something many of the photographers never bothered to do for DX09. It's not that they don't fit right, it's that people are lazy about them. There's nothing to indicate this is any different for MMS293, and it would actually surprise me if the exact same issue wasn't present.

I understand why you guys are reacting this way. You waited years for a figure that was promised and never delivered, along with two great villains who are quite unlikely to EVER show up. You're like the dog whose been abused all his life - you're just expecting to get kicked yet again by Hot Toys, so you almost go looking for it.

But it's not all doom and gloom, it's not as bad as you're indicating, and many of these problems are being manufactured by people who are sub-consciously looking for these problems.

The body looks fine to me. No different in quality than the DX 09.

Body.jpg
Body 2.jpg
Body 3.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

If Edub means the dent in the breast plate, I'm sure it's just on that figure. None of the other ones have it.

Yea I mean the dent in the chest plate. I've seen a couple like that. And I have no clue what Haytil is talking about with me complaining. If it's a qc issue then it's a qc issue. I have a feeling a lot will be like that.

I stand by my particular criticisms - awful Wayne sculpt and pathetic alternate mouth choices.

I offered a tentative agreement that maybe the ''philltrum'' area looked too long in some shots, allowing for the possibility that it may be my imagination.

Anything else was said by other people.

Yea I mean the dent in the chest plate. I've seen a couple like that. And I have no clue what Haytil is talking about with me complaining. If it's a qc issue then it's a qc issue. I have a feeling a lot will be like that.

Why don't you be more specific? The only thing that I see that could be a "dent" is the groove directly beneath the symbol, between the two "breasts," which is part of the design of the suit.

If you're taking about something else, please point it out to us.

Why don't you be more specific? The only thing that I see that could be a "dent" is the groove directly beneath the symbol, between the two "breasts," which is part of the design of the suit.

If you're taking about something else, please point it out to us.

Here ya go. There were a couple other pics posted yesterday on Facebook with the same problem image.jpeg

As far as the suit goes, I wish Hot Toys was a little more ingenuitive. I know they didn't do it with the DX 09 five years ago, but it would have been nice if they made a fabric or a wet suit over the True Type body, with the a vinyl/pliable plastic segmented armor bits glued over the fabric ala DX 12 and Armory TDK Batman. There's really no excuse to make it a one piece rubber body suit again, especially when there's clearly a black fabric suit underneath the rubber suit anyway.

Little things like that would have really made this more realistic and put it over the DX 09 had they implemented them. His articulation would have been SWEET too. High kicks would be achievable and none of his punching or grapple aiming poses would look awkward.

Batman Returns.jpg

If they had done this one the way DX 09 like customizers did it would be just like the films. It's not like Hot Toys isn't capable of achieving that reality in this scale when we have the TDK Batman with complex armor or Stormtroopers that they keep churning out efficiently. It'd be so simple.

armor.jpg

The old DX 02 faceplate and moveable eyes thing they've been doing on all their Batman figures is old hat now too and only takes away from the realism as far as I'm concerned. It worked on Robocop because of the way the mouth piece and helmet envelopes Robocop's face. It's a great illusion.

HT_Robocop_09.jpg

Batman though? Not the best. After seeing what NECA did with their 7" and 18" Keaton Batman figures with that REAL, sturdy cowl, I don't see why Hot Toys wouldn't be capable of the same thing. Imagine a partial 1/6 Keaton head underneath that mask. No moving eyes gimmick, no faceplates gimmick, no "robotic" seam panel on the back of the head. It'd be pliable enough to get movement and articulation too (like their muscular bodies) instead of this solid, plastic piece.

Batman unmasked.jpg

Last edited:

I like it! I'm ready for Cats and Penguin!

Merry Xmas to all!! :fireworks

by show of hands even after some you guys that "say"your not going to get the batman figure.and dont lie to yourself.Who gonna get this figure regardless?.I am just talking about the single batman figure not the crap "bruce Wayne" figure lol

:wave

Man, this figure is absolutely beautiful. The best Batman HT have released, by far. They NAILED the Keaton sculpt; so worth the wait. 10/10

The figures, Batman in particular, are decent, but we know what HT's capable of doing now and we know that they could have done way better.

I think I may have said it before, but the final product now makes it seem obvious that this figure was made just so HT can already cross this out of their to-do list. Like it was done not because they want to, but because they have to. We can all feel that HT has less if not no care at all towards this license. I was looking forward to Returns' Batman in quarter scale but it's very unlikely now, and even if HT feels compelled to make it, it might look just okay instead of stellar.

Back