1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the new "sculpt" only has minimal change over the proto. Much better paint applications are making it look so different but the major features are still basically the same.

Han and Chewy will determine if I buy any SW HT figures.

Harrison Ford's face cannot be sculpted (apparently) and that Chewbacca fur sculpt...I'd be concerned it will not age well. Like the melting rubber Batman and Comedian figures. I used to own the Sideshow Ben, I prefer the look of this one. Both are not exact but the Hot Toys is less toy looking, as someone else noted.

I know from experience that hair is difficult to paint but man that beard is horrible. Al other paintwork like skin, eyes, lips are all amazing, and then they get to the beard...

"Hmmm...What do you want to do here guys?"
"How about we dunk the whole thing in the paint can and leave it to dry?"
Sounds good! Lets do that."

Did Hasbro do this?

I know from experience that hair is difficult to paint but man that beard is horrible. Al other paintwork like skin, eyes, lips are all amazing, and then they get to the beard...

"Hmmm...What do you want to do here guys?"
"How about we dunk the whole thing in the paint can and leave it to dry?"
Sounds good! Lets do that."

Did Hasbro do this?

Agreed. Cancelled.

Harrison Ford's face cannot be sculpted (apparently) and that Chewbacca fur sculpt...I'd be concerned it will not age well. Like the melting rubber Batman and Comedian figures. I used to own the Sideshow Ben, I prefer the look of this one. Both are not exact but the Hot Toys is less toy looking, as someone else noted.

Ford's sculpt on SS's Hoth Han is almost perfect.

HT Ben's sculpt isn't perfect but it's way better than SS, but then it's not nearly as old. I think SS's Ben cost $60?

It's really not for me to criticise anyone who thinks this sculpt could be improved but this is an honest attempt to make a great figure and it's only off in the sense that ANY sculpt will be slightly off - the perfect sculpt doesn't exist, but this is as good as it gets. I don't see anything lazy or cynical about this, HT have tried hard to get it right.

attachment.php
4.png

Grabbed small_studios repaint just for quick compare.

I still think the Sideshow looks closer to my eyes -- granted a bit of caricature there and a bit surprised looking.

11002509_864410323620959_1796651288227806644_n.jpg

Leaving aside it's flaws HT have it near to perfect for me

It's really not for me to criticise anyone who thinks this sculpt could be improved but this is an honest attempt to make a great figure and it's only off in the sense that ANY sculpt will be slightly off - the perfect sculpt doesn't exist, but this is as good as it gets. I don't see anything lazy or cynical about this, HT have tried hard to get it right.

HUA! :lecture

Love it or hate it, I'm just glad Ben Kenobi is out. Hopefully Hot Toys gets a move on with the next 7 Star Wars releases and calls it a day (until whatever Force Awakens stuff they're no doubt planning). I'm glad that they got Kenobi, Ultron and Thanos out with a swiftness. The turn around for Star Lord, Ichabod Crane and the Stormtroopers makes all the stuff you're not personally interested in easier to process because at the rate Hot Toys is goes, they're old news before they're even out.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed for EIII Anakin and Jedi Luke!

Here, here! I'm still pretty convinced that many of these first SW entries from HT have been in the planning and possibly prototype stages for a while. They probably held back after Bespin Luke waiting for their own shot at negotiating terms with Disney that bypassed Hasbro and Sideshow...so we get a flurry of classic announcements and prototypes right out of the gate closer to ready for production.

Wasn't EpIII Anakin rumored to be the follow-up to Bespin Luke way back when (along with ANH Han)?

Well, Han is on the way...and I hope that rumored Anakin finds a way forward before the focus shifts to Disney's new movie...

Back