1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That how the hobby goes.You overpay for some things and get lucky with others. I paid $320 for AoU War Machine, now its a lot cheaper but I bought my Han and Chewy during Popcultchas glitch sale last year and paid 195 for han and 205 for chewy. I also bought Vision from them last week during another glitch for 150 so it kinda evens out in the long run.

That's how I see it. You have to try and predict the future market when it comes time to PO a figure at retail. Should you PO now and snare it for retail before it potentially increases in value on the secondary market? Or hold off because you could potentially steal it for less than retail on the secondary market?

I have figures in my collection that I probably overpaid for, and some that I got for steals.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Returning or cancelling ebay items because you changed your mind is way worse than scalping in my opinion. It happens to me all the time, and is pretty insulting. When you bid or buy it now, you enter a contract and the seller had to put time/resources/and money into selling these items. And just because someone pays more than retail for something, it doesn't mean the seller is an evil scalper

Selling on ebay isn't as easy as a lot of customers think! So dont do it chubs&doggers! ZE_501 seems like a pretty legit collector whose just doing what most of us do (or should do), keeping the collection fresh by selling off stuff you dont want anymore.

Thanks Reefer; I'm known for being obsessive about keeping a minimalist, tightly edited collection and sell without remorse.

My eBay feedback is stellar; and I've sold at or below retail to several forum members.

I could have posted that Obi Wan as a BIN only, but decided to let the true market (and the buyer) rather than the artificially inflated scalper market decide what I could sell it for.

Bidding four times in a row to take out the competition and snag it, sounds like commitment to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Reefer; I'm known for being obsessive about keeping a minimalist, tightly edited collection and sell without remorse.

My eBay feedback is stellar; and I've sold at or below retail to several forum members.

I could have posted that Obi Wan as a BIN only, but decided to let the true market (and the buyer) rather than the artificially inflated scalper market decide what I could sell it for.

Bidding four times in a row to take out the competition and snag it, sounds like commitment to me.

Definitely man! Agree 100%

I tend to do the same, if I list something as an actual auction, i feel it goes for what the true market value is and I feel good about that. If I list something for BIN, I typically do it a bit under currently closed auctions for that item as I feel that's true market value, and lowering the price helps sell it more quickly.

Let alone provide proof of this forum conversation to Ebay if he decides to file a claim, as he is clearly asking the ethical question which he already knows the answer to.
Nothing wrong was done are your part ZE_501, clearly buyers remorse on Chubbs part, which you should not be held responsible for.
That said Chubbs knew the answer was clearly "no, not cool"...as he would not have bothered asking for our feedback otherwise. Doubtful it will become an issue.

Let alone provide proof of this forum conversation to Ebay if he decides to file a claim, as he is clearly asking the ethical question which he already knows the answer to.
Nothing wrong was done are your part ZE_501, clearly buyers remorse on Chubbs part, which you should not be held responsible for.
That said Chubbs knew the answer was clearly "no, not cool"...as he would not have bothered asking for our feedback otherwise. Doubtful it will become an issue.

Sorry but No buyers remorse. Just with all this buz about re-releases i was curious to as how people respond to everytging it would entail.

Last edited:
Never mind, I just cross-referenced your eBay profile, Instagram account and Freaks profile. You bought that Obi Wan from me.

• As mentioned, I only made my money back having bought him at an inflated price myself.
  • I started the auction slightly above retail but at a price where I was still losing money.
  • You bid on the figure four times to win it.

Just before I shipped it out to you (same day if I recall), we had an exchange where I pointed out "You should know this doesn't come with the brown shipper, that's how I received it" -- and you were fine with it, citing that the figure was more important to you than a brown shipper -- a brown shipper that was never listed as part of the auction.

You then left positive feedback.

So to be clear, yes, that'd be a "dirty move" and no, I'm not a "scalper". :slap

I'm sorry you paid more, but so did I, and you know what? I just bought an MMS304 for above-retail plus shipping because I wanted it. If it got re-issued tomorrow I wouldn't return it.

Considering I have the brown shipper messages, that wouldn't hold water anyway.

I have no intention of returning it. Just wanted to see how people responded to such a thing as with these reissues are causing a lot of havoc. It is a small world and I guess in the 1/6 world it's even smaller. Sorry to ruffle ur feathers but it gets people thinking. I had a budget and I didn't go over it. I believe the listing started at 300 and I blelieve I got him for about 390. So he came under my budget. So in your spare time, ur what a detective? Those bread crumbs always give you away 🍻

It's a sensitive topic to be sure.

I have no intention of returning it. Just wanted to see how people responded to such a thing as with these reissues are causing a lot of havoc. It is a small world and I guess in the 1/6 world it's even smaller. Sorry to ruffle ur feathers but it gets people thinking. I had a budget and I didn't go over it. I believe the listing started at 300 and I blelieve I got him for about 390. So he came under my budget. So in your spare time, ur what a detective? Those bread crumbs always give you away ��

Thats not bad "losing" about $140(but you did choose to buy it) but probably doesnt feel good either. If it makes you feel better I spent more than that when I went out last week and I didn't come home with a Hot Toy.

Thats not bad loosing about $140 but probably doesnt feel good either. If it makes you feel better I spent more than that when I went out last week and I didn't come home with a Hot Toy.

Did u at least come home with a hot girl?

Has anyone ever returned a purchase made on Ebay? I bought Obi Wan about 2 weeks ago and since then all this news of the 2nd run has broke. My wailist also just converted but before I cancel I thought I would ask. It's a dirty move I feel but would end up saving me some $$.

Thoughts? I mean we all hate the scalpers... Right?

This might be a first, quoting urself... But I was making stew yesterday and this last line was just to get the pot stirring. I actually cancelled my wailist as soon as it converted. I have no interest in flipping. If I really wanted to make up the difference I would have bought from popcultcha when they had their glitch. Either way now my OT lineup is pretty much complete. Just waiting on the princess. The good ones always keep u waiting.

This might be a first, quoting urself... But I was making stew yesterday and this last line was just to get the pot stirring. I actually cancelled my wailist as soon as it converted. I have no interest in flipping. If I really wanted to make up the difference I would have bought from popcultcha when they had their glitch. Either way now my OT lineup is pretty much complete. Just waiting on the princess. The good ones always keep u waiting.

Right on man! Enjoy the collection, they are truly a sight to behold on the shelf. :duff

I kick myself a little too in those situations too btw, paid over retail for Solo & Chewie & now wish I had waited - but what can ya do? Its just not worth my time to chase a better deal after the fact in my ripe old age. :lol

Listing items on eBay is indeed a tedious process. It's not as easy as what sellers think, as mentioned.

The only time I'll sell a figure is because I genuinely don't enjoy it anymore, or if it just seems practical to do so (multiples of one character, etc.) in favor of something else. Whenever I buy a figure, I always do so with the intention that it'll likely be something that I'm going to always keep. When I do sell, I'm not intentionally looking to make a profit. Don't get me wrong, if a figure is selling easily for 350 bucks, I won't be a fool and list it for retail, nor will I try and list it for 400 bucks just to see if someone bites. If anything, I'd probably list it at $300, just to give people an incentive to buy it for a bit cheaper than what it seems to be actually selling for. To me, as long as I more less get back the money that I paid for it and it goes to another collector who is looking for that particular figure and will enjoy it more than I do at that moment, then I'm happy.

For instance, I purchased a second AoU Cap last year for $299 to keep MIB, but ended up recently selling it. They were easily selling for $350, but I listed mine for $300 because that's what I paid for it and it was a bit less than what they are going for. Sold it in two hours after listing it.

lol, saw Ze's original post last nite, just before I fell a sleep, and was about to say would be Hi-larious if...

I always make stupid buys and lose out. Often or not a sale comes and it's cheaper, or I forgot to cross reference a search. Worse are the super sale purchases I don't need that really screw me up. I'm gunna get screwed over again in June-July.

Again, it's all the people who absolutely believe and swear things won't get released again that help guide the ebay prices that everyone watches to assess the value of the stuff they own or want to sell. Including manufacturers and stores. Stores have low quantity or mass order levels know they can make an extra few bucks too. Take your pick, we're all as bad as each other.

Never mind, I just cross-referenced your eBay profile, Instagram account and Freaks profile. You bought that Obi Wan from me.

• As mentioned, I only made my money back having bought him at an inflated price myself.
  • I started the auction slightly above retail but at a price where I was still losing money.
  • You bid on the figure four times to win it.

Just before I shipped it out to you (same day if I recall), we had an exchange where I pointed out "You should know this doesn't come with the brown shipper, that's how I received it" -- and you were fine with it, citing that the figure was more important to you than a brown shipper -- a brown shipper that was never listed as part of the auction.

You then left positive feedback.

So to be clear, yes, that'd be a "dirty move" and no, I'm not a "scalper". :slap

I'm sorry you paid more, but so did I, and you know what? I just bought an MMS304 for above-retail plus shipping because I wanted it. If it got re-issued tomorrow I wouldn't return it.

Considering I have the brown shipper messages, that wouldn't hold water anyway.

And people think Batman is the World's Greatest Detective... :lol

seems like a pretty legit collector whose just doing what most of us do (or should do), keeping the collection fresh by selling off stuff you dont want anymore.

I like it when people edit down quotes and then highlight them to make a point. "Where did you dig up that old fossil?!" You can't get much fresher than HT Obi.

I guess the bigger question is another ethical one and forgive me if this upsets anyone as I belive this is NOT the case here. But I wonder how many people got wind of the reissued fingers and put there's up for quick sale to make a buck before rebuying them at market value?

Iinquisitive minds want to know.

lol, saw Ze's original post last nite, just before I fell a sleep, and was about to say would be Hi-larious if...

I always make stupid buys and lose out. Often or not a sale comes and it's cheaper, or I forgot to cross reference a search. Worse are the super sale purchases I don't need that really screw me up. I'm gunna get screwed over again in June-July.

Again, it's all the people who absolutely believe and swear things won't get released again that help guide the ebay prices that everyone watches to assess the value of the stuff they own or want to sell. Including manufacturers and stores. Stores have low quantity or mass order levels know they can make an extra few bucks too. Take your pick, we're all as bad as each other.

Agreed and on point.

Right on man! Enjoy the collection, they are truly a sight to behold on the shelf. :duff

I kick myself a little too in those situations too btw, paid over retail for Solo & Chewie & now wish I had waited - but what can ya do? Its just not worth my time to chase a better deal after the fact in my ripe old age. :lol

It happens to the best of us. But at the end of the day all I see is an awesome figure that I'm happy to have on display �� Chewie & Han Look great together.

I like it when people edit down quotes and then highlight them to make a point. "Where did you dig up that old fossil?!" You can't get much fresher than HT Obi.

I guess the bigger question is another ethical one and forgive me if this upsets anyone as I belive this is NOT the case here. But I wonder how many people got wind of the reissued fingers and put there's up for quick sale to make a buck before rebuying them at market value?

Iinquisitive minds want to know.

It doesn't matter.

I got reissued, and everybody that paid out of the ass for this Dollie feels ripped off. $390??

Lol lol lol. INSANE.

Live and learn, I guess?

Back