1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favourite figures
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457077336.571157.jpg

You think there are no artists who can paint a better paint app than an HT factory app? What sheltered life you lead. :lol
Nope, I was quoting the caricature-move on part, forgot about the paint stuff although a great part of modern head coolness is being cast directly in a natural looking material.

You think there are no artists who can paint a better paint app than an HT factory app? What sheltered life you lead. :lol

No I didn't say that, I can, do and have painted better heads than hot toys myself. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I also think there are artists out there, both here on the forum and some of the Asian artists who can paint even better than I can.

If you actually read what I posted and not hurled out insults and commentary that wasn't thoughtful, I said that no paint job will make it look more realistic than the hot toys head because of the lack of detail and refinement in the sculpt, the scale and the fact that the original sculpt which does have a great likeness is dated and toy-like.almost cartoon like by comparison.

I've seen skiman's paint jobs of this. I also have one of these painted by Josh Small and it's also an unbelievable paint job. And Trevor grove is still one of my favorites. With all that next to the hot toy figure, it just doesn't fit in anymore, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's a dated head sculpt now.

Do I still like it for what it is? Absolutely. But it's not the same caliber. It won't be replacing the hot toys in any realistic way to sit on the shelves with the new figures.

I've said people need to let it go because of all the human hot toys heads, all of which have major problems with likeness Old Ben is actually the best of the bunch and in my estimation pretty darn close in likeness.

For the record hot toys head needs modding too... I've painted it a lot to fix the color of the beard and bring out the likeness in other parts.

To me the HT version looks like Obi Wan all cleaned up and ready to lead his weekly force Friday service. The essence of him is there in an incredible way. But when you put him next to movie stills he doesn't match up. I'd call that the technical likeness, which isn't nearly is good.

That's why the opinions on him are so split. Some judge by technical standards and others judge by an artistic standard. Personally I love him.

A recurring problem with most hot toys sculpts is that they are too beautified or clean.

It's why I don't even care they didn't do a driver sculpt... There's no way they would get that dudes face right.

Much like when they did Adrian Brodey

I like how everyone who argues their opinion here thinks they are right and speaking the truth. But everyone is only speaking their own truth and point of view. "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

I like how everyone who argues their opinion here thinks they are right and speaking the truth. But everyone is only speaking their own truth and point of view. "You will find that many of the truths we cling to are based on our own point of view."

TRUTH. :lecture

I like how everyone who argues their opinion here thinks they are right and speaking the truth. But everyone is only speaking their own truth and point of view. "You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

:goodpost:

You'll find that in any walk of life though really, not just here. Everyone has their own opinion and everyone thinks their opinion is the "truth".

When there is vast disagreement about a sculpt, and then someone comes in and says it's 100% the actor it seems as if they're disregarding/ignoring the fact that loads of people really do not agree. Sounds more like hyperbole even if it is indeed just their opinion.

Even Leia probably isn't 100% and yet the consensus is that she turned out great, haven't even seen a handful of people say the likeness isn't good nor has anyone even suggested she looks more like so-and-so.

When there is vast disagreement about a sculpt, and then someone comes in and says it's 100% the actor it seems as if they're disregarding/ignoring the fact that loads of people really do not agree. Sounds more like hyperbole even if it is indeed just their opinion.

Even Leia probably isn't 100% and yet the consensus is that she turned out great, haven't even seen a handful of people say the likeness isn't good nor has anyone even suggested she looks more like so-and-so.

That's true, but why should that person say they dislike the likeness of a sculpt just because the majority of other people are saying that? Or judge the likeness of a sculpt based on how everyone else judges it?

When it comes down to it, what matters is how a particular person feels about a sculpt and a figure in general on their own because the figure is going to be in their collection. If they feel that a sculpt looks 100% spot on and they are happy with it, that's all that matters. For the rest of the majority, they have the option of not buying the figure and/or selling it if they don't feel that it meets their specifications.

That's true, but why should that person say they dislike the likeness of a sculpt just because the majority of other people are saying that? Or judge the likeness of a sculpt based on how everyone else judges it?

When it comes down to it, what matters is how a particular person feels about a sculpt and a figure in general on their own because the figure is going to be in their collection. If they feel that a sculpt looks 100% spot on and they are happy with it, that's all that matters. For the rest of the majority, they have the option of not buying the figure and/or selling it if they don't feel that it meets their specifications.

Of course they should say what they think is true, I think a lot of what it just comes down to is people don't qualify much and it sometimes comes across as if they're speaking gospel, whether they intend to or not, so it can begin this opinion back-and-forths that jedijim mentioned. Using percentages, when they become absolutes, can make it sound like some sort of precise calculation when in reality it's still just opinion.

I don't mind any of it, the back and forth can be enjoyable/funny/enlightening if good points are made, the only opinion's I find obnoxious are the absolute ones followed by "anyone who says they see so-and-so in this sculpt is just trolling" or comments like that that do attempt to undermine the opinion of others.

I respect everyone's opinion regarding likeness. Even the trolls to some degree because it makes me laugh and I enjoy that. I never take those opinions nor movie reviews (another example) to heart while forming my own conclusion. Regarding Obi-Wan here, he looks best with the hood up. Even then he isn't dead on but still, he is the best 1.6 representation of that character in the entire world (customs aside) at this point in time. 3/4/16

Of course they should say what they think is true, I think a lot of what it just comes down to is people don't qualify much and it sometimes comes across as if they're speaking gospel, whether they intend to or not, so it can begin this opinion back-and-forths that jedijim mentioned. Using percentages, when they become absolutes, can make it sound like some sort of precise calculation when in reality it's still just opinion.

I don't mind any of it, the back and forth can be enjoyable/funny/enlightening if good points are made, the only opinion's I find obnoxious are the absolute ones followed by "anyone who says they see so-and-so in this sculpt is just trolling" or comments like that that do attempt to undermine the opinion of others.

No I concur, I think that's what was intended to be meant, is when people speak in absolutes like you said. Where they make it sound like if you don't agree with whatever their opinion and perspective is, it must be because you're stupid, ignorant, trolling, etc.

But as I mentioned, you get a lot of that mentality in today's society no matter where you go; not just on here when it pertains to 1/6 scale figures.

I respect everyone's opinion regarding likeness. Even the trolls to some degree because it makes me laugh and I enjoy that. I never take those opinions nor movie reviews (another example) to heart while forming my own conclusion. Regarding Obi-Wan here, he looks best with the hood up. Even then he isn't dead on but still, he is the best 1.6 representation of that character in the entire world (customs aside) at this point in time. 3/4/16

Now this is a post I can get behind. :exactly:

I still maintain the conviction that it's nearly impossible to acheive someone's likeness dead on in 1/6 scale form. Some likenesses are extremely easy to capture, while others are seemingly very difficult. There's only a few sculpts where I can say the likeness unmistakably is dead on, bereft of any flaws. I also feel there's only a few sculpts where I can say the likeness is just utterly horrible to where it's in no way recognizable of who it's supposed to be. The majority of sculpts I think are at least decent to really good. To me, as long as you can look at the sculpt and know who it is without giving it a second thought, then that particular company did a good job on that sculpt.

For most sculpts, it's all about angles and lighting and shadows that really bring out the likeness in it of whoever it's supposed to be.

Back