1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what they did to the ESB body (which is the same as the ANH body) to make it visibly shorter? I'd like to do that so I can keep the electronics for what they're worth.

I haven’t checked but it’s gotta be the foot pegs. The ESB legs look a bit shorter.

Looks good. Very well done. :clap

It’s mostly v1 ANH?

Mostly, except for the RO gloves, cape and tunic... and the v2 bodysuit. :D

But honestly, I'm not sold on the RO tunic or cape really. And I might very well go back to v1 bodysuit (once tailored). So he may one day be even more 'mostly'... definitely a work-in-progress.

What, didn’t like that line? :lol

Levity aside, nice job. I don’t have the R1 cape in hand nor have ever seen it in hand, but based on pictures, I haven’t really seen what’s so much better about it. The stock ANH cape is indeed a bit poofy, but I haven’t seen where the R1 cape really makes it look like a night and day difference. Plus, with R1 Vader being taller, I would think the cape would be a little bit long on ANH Vader. Could be wrong there though.

And after looking at the ANH tunic and rewatching ANH scenes, I’m not as disappointed with it as I stated a little while ago. It’s not as smooth as I was thinking it was off the top of my head when I made that statement. It’s adequate.

What, didn’t like that line? :lol

Levity aside, nice job. I don’t have the R1 cape in hand nor have ever seen it in hand, but based on pictures, I haven’t really seen what’s so much better about it. The stock ANH cape is indeed a bit poofy, but I haven’t seen where the R1 cape really makes it look like a night and day difference. Plus, with R1 Vader being taller, I would think the cape would be a little bit long on ANH Vader. Could be wrong there though.

And after looking at the ANH tunic and rewatching ANH scenes, I’m not as disappointed with it as I stated a little while ago. It’s not as smooth as I was thinking it was off the top of my head when I made that statement. It’s adequate.

The difference is negligible. Depends how your ANH v1 cape is. On mine, the silk lining is all crinkled and messy and causes the cape to curl in odd places. Its also too long -- even for the too-tall Vader. Things was bunching on the floor. It looks like the silk edge on the v2 cape is much smoother and cleaner.

But all the ANH capes are about the same too-long length, particularly on the front 4-5 inches or so. Even when my v1 Vader stood proudly tall, his cape bunched up on the floor in front. My only solution was to re-hem the front 4 inches along the bottom of the cape. Now it just touches the ground so the material's weight pulls evenly all the way down so it hangs right.

But all this work is crazy. It's like the nose plug or helmet lowering a millimeter or any of the other maddening mods done here. Yeah, its better... but its necessity is really up to individual preference.

It's totally for the OCD control. :lol

The difference is negligible. Depends how your ANH v1 cape is. On mine, the silk lining is all crinkled and messy and causes the cape to curl in odd places. Its also too long -- even for the too-tall Vader. Things was bunching on the floor. It looks like the silk edge on the v2 cape is much smoother and cleaner.

But all the ANH capes are about the same too-long length, particularly on the front 4-5 inches or so. Even when my v1 Vader stood proudly tall, his cape bunched up on the floor in front. My only solution was to re-hem the front 4 inches along the bottom of the cape. Now it just touches the ground so the material's weight pulls evenly all the way down so it hangs right.

But all this work is crazy. It's like the nose plug or helmet lowering a millimeter or any of the other maddening mods done here. Yeah, its better... but its necessity is really up to individual preference.

It's totally for the OCD control. :lol

I know what you man regarding the cape curling in odd places. Mine kind of does that at the bottom corners. Though I’m usually able to straighten it by bending it back and draping it in such a way so it stays straight. I haven’t run into the issue of it bunching up at the bottom though as a result of it being too long. I have mine displayed on a generic oval base and the tip/edge of the cape comes in contact the ground, but not enough to drag or bunch up. It still retains the pleats.

To me, the main adjustment on him to make him discernible as ANH Vader is raising the codpiece, sliding the belt boxes next to the buckle, and using the R1/v2 gloves if you’re going to have the hands showing. To me, all the other stuff is extra. Sure it looks better like you said, but it’s not really something that’s necessary to me to make it recognizable as ANH Vader.

I’m too faint of heart to crack open the sculpt or dull up the chest armor. :lol The tunic/robe covers the majority of the chest armor anyway, so it doesn’t really bother me.

To me, the main adjustment on him to make him discernible as ANH Vader is raising the codpiece, sliding the belt boxes next to the buckle, and using the R1/v2 gloves if you’re going to have the hands showing. To me, all the other stuff is extra. Sure it looks better like you said, but it’s not really something that’s necessary to me to make it recognizable as ANH Vader.

I’m too faint of heart to crack open the sculpt or dull up the chest armor. :lol The tunic/robe covers the majority of the chest armor anyway, so it doesn’t really bother me.
Agreed. These are the only adjustments I’ve made too. He looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pic. Nose mod was the one that defeated me..lol.

I've actually grown to love the rogue one cod piece, so my displayed piece is definitely not screen accurate, but looks awesome

My EP IV Vader it´s happy with his new gloves from Tarkin pack. I was not difficult to put:

DuGCJbGW4AE2rV4.jpg

Does anyone have an MMS297 base they are looking to part with? Or even know of a place I can get one? Please PM me if you do. Thanks all!

Well after years of going back and forth, I finally decided to pick this guy up on eBay. He finally came today but I’m far from happy, and I think disgusted better describes how I’m feeling (rant incoming).
So it was never marked as shipped but it got here so no fuss. Little did I know that was only the beginning. The first problem: I open the box it came shipped in and there’s no shipper even though the listing said “with shipper” but hey, it’s just a box no biggie. Then I open the figure box and this is how it’s packed:
d5bb47bfeb7374c1c5049a53baf3c228.jpg

Now personally I prefer everything be in the right place in the box, but I can understand a few hands in the wrong spot. Not the case here as the plastic couldn’t even shut properly. The interrogation droid is shoved in there even though the space is cut perfectly for it, the attachments are just thrown in the bottom, the base was missing the nameplate even though it was attached in the picture (I later found it on the top tray), and the remote is just thrown under the figure. At least the lightsaber was packed nicely right? Except for the red wire sticking out of it because that’s actually the one from the light up arm. I would have been fine with everything else because as annoying as it is, there was nothing broken but breaking the light up arm is unacceptable. It can’t even have been ignorance because the whole arm with hilt is packed separately when you get it, they installed the batteries in the arm implying they understood what it was for and I’m assuming they have the instruction manual since that was nowhere to be found. This person had to rip the hilt out of the hand and possibly even cut the wire if it didn’t come out right away. So yeah, that’s been my experience.
Any advice on what to do? I don’t want to send it back and then have to buy another entire figure but even just giving the guy negative feedback doesn’t feel good enough. I can’t imagine he’ll be excited to just give me a partial refund and I don’t know if PayPal/eBay will do anything except suggest a return.

Well after years of going back and forth, I finally decided to pick this guy up on eBay. He finally came today but I’m far from happy, and I think disgusted better describes how I’m feeling (rant incoming).
So it was never marked as shipped but it got here so no fuss. Little did I know that was only the beginning. The first problem: I open the box it came shipped in and there’s no shipper even though the listing said “with shipper” but hey, it’s just a box no biggie. Then I open the figure box and this is how it’s packed:
d5bb47bfeb7374c1c5049a53baf3c228.jpg

Now personally I prefer everything be in the right place in the box, but I can understand a few hands in the wrong spot. Not the case here as the plastic couldn’t even shut properly. The interrogation droid is shoved in there even though the space is cut perfectly for it, the attachments are just thrown in the bottom, the base was missing the nameplate even though it was attached in the picture (I later found it on the top tray), and the remote is just thrown under the figure. At least the lightsaber was packed nicely right? Except for the red wire sticking out of it because that’s actually the one from the light up arm. I would have been fine with everything else because as annoying as it is, there was nothing broken but breaking the light up arm is unacceptable. It can’t even have been ignorance because the whole arm with hilt is packed separately when you get it, they installed the batteries in the arm implying they understood what it was for and I’m assuming they have the instruction manual since that was nowhere to be found. This person had to rip the hilt out of the hand and possibly even cut the wire if it didn’t come out right away. So yeah, that’s been my experience.
Any advice on what to do? I don’t want to send it back and then have to buy another entire figure but even just giving the guy negative feedback doesn’t feel good enough.

I would contact eBay and tell them about the misleading description, poor packaging missing parts and broken arm. If you can live with the figure demand a 50% refund. If not return it for a full refund.

My heart goes out to you ryan; you expect it to be one way then it comes and your hopes are dashed. My question is, after taking a critical look after a day or two, is it salvageable? My opinion is that it is more of a hassle to return the item then to send pics to the seller and calmly yet firmly request a partial refund. If they charged for shipping then ask for a refund for the shipping. If the shipping will not make you feel better then what amount will?

I have received my fair share of disheveled items and after I calm down I take pics with my phone and try to be critical about what I have and what I would have paid if I knew this was the state of the items I bought. Then I send a message to the seller; I accuse them of nothing but I firmly let them know this is unacceptable and tell them I want a reasonable refund. If that does not work then I get Ebay involved. Good luck.

Yeah, either file a claim that item was received damaged or not as described (that’s your better option). And then you’re looking at two options:

full refund (this is always an option based on what transpired but is more work in terms of having to ship back)

partial refund (if they can offer enough that makes you happy, can let you buy a replacement saber arm). Probably good to figure out what that dollar amount is in your head and see what they offer when you initially file a claim. eBay will encourage you to work it out with the seller. Curious, but what’s their feedback like? Do they have lots of transactions?

Back