1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received the 3-piece "slimmer" Vader suit from the v2 Vader. Hoping it makes a difference.

Do you like the suit? I’m sticking with the suit from the original release. The feel of the new suit reminds me of the Death Star gunner jacket. When I was removing it I was so afraid it was going to tear. I like the durability of the original, but yeah it does make him look a little pudgy.

My concern is the ability to get the RO gloves onto the ANH suited arms, especially the new gloved saber arm. I've heard its very hard as there is too much material in the original suit. It also looks odd if you bend the elbows with the baggier suit. The material kind of folds rather than crinkles.

But who knows, I might not like it -- the ribbing is flatter and it is shinier which I don't like.

But its always good to have a back-up.

I'm using RO gloves on my ANH Vader, no issues in putting them on

Hot Toys Darth Vader ANH 15.jpg

Since I was taking pics in this setup already, I thought I'd throw up a couple of my original ANH Vader (with R1 gloves).

v3bhJpW.jpg

hNbLBrY.jpg

Should have turned on the belt boxes.

I used R1 gloves on my ANH Vader without too much issue. I think I rotated the gloves slightly as I pushed them onto the arm. They went on fine. Now sure if they actually clicked into place but even if they didn't they were on well enough to hold his sabre without an issue.

I used R1 gloves on my ANH Vader without too much issue. I think I rotated the gloves slightly as I pushed them onto the arm. They went on fine. Now sure if they actually clicked into place but even if they didn't they were on well enough to hold his sabre without an issue.

I was able to put the Tarkin 2pk gloved hands on my v1 ANH Vader with no problems. Just got them in the mail this week. The sleeves won't fit inside the gloves and do bunch up a bit, but not enough to be distracting. And if you have his arms in any bent position the sleeves bunch up at the elbow joint anyway. Looks much better with some proper looking gloves.

Glad I was able to track down a complete set of 9 & I got 9 wrist pegs that I stuck in each arm since I read what a pain it was and how they stayed in the gloves instead of the arm every time they were switched out. Makes life much easier If I want to swap his hands, although I tend to leave my figures once I pose them and stick them in the cabinet. This is the 1st time I touched Vader since I displayed him. But with the new proper glove hands I have a feeling I may change him up every now and then, since I no longer need to hide his hands under the cape... :)

I think Loki said it best. I was able to get the sleeves into the gloves with some futzing. It just takes a little bit of time. And I heated the gloves up so that they were more pliable. I would suggest undressing Vader down to his suit and then putting the gloves on.

Here's a photo of my repainted belt boxes and chest box. The aluminium "washer" was painted at the base of the red lamp on the belt boxes (not seen anyone else do this yet but check the photos of the actual suit - it's there). The "washers" at the base of the 6 knobs were painted red because the factory paintjob was a bit hit and miss on them. Also the tiny hole was drilled out at the base of the chest box rods to add more realism to that part (the original rods had a hole in that location but Hot Toys just sculpted a little recessed circle there so it was drilled out with a micro drill bit).

I opted to use the V1 chestbox because although slightly smaller, the proportions and placement of the buttons and rods are more accurate on this version. The Rogue One chestbox and V2 have these elements spaced too widely apart which throws off the overall look in my opinion

View attachment 398672

I did use the Rogue One chest / shoulder armor because I preferred the shape of it. I was going to trim the edges a bit because that last gun metal section is too wide but ultimately decided to keep it "as is" because it looked good when the overall effect was seen on the V1 body.

View attachment 398679

The little rectangular "ribs" were removed from the underside of the armor so the shoulder bells can be positioned correctly sitting underneath the armor (rather than being stuck onto the edges). In ANH, the shoulder bells were always underneath the armor.

View attachment 398680

Here's a rare photo showing the armor without inner robe or capes.

View attachment 398681

Great work man!! A Outstanding!! :clap

IMG_1460.jpg

Looking for some critiques. This is almost entirely my Rogue One Vader, but I got V1 inner robes and the V1 cod piece. I hate how wrinkled the RO Vader's cod piece is; anyone else have that issue with it? I never know what to do with the cape and plastic chain either. That shouldn't be above his neck of the helmet right? But then I can't see it at all and don't see the point of even having it.

Has anyone put the Hot Toys head on the Sideshow ROTJ Vader? I know it's not accurate to ROTJ, but I'm wondering if it can be done? If so did you need to mod the neck post?

Easy? Scary? Satisfying?

Now are you doing the eyes as well as the nose plug adjustment... AND of course lowering the helmet?

Matrix actually cut a 1/6 head so just the eye section would fit in the mask and painted it silver so you'd get that amber "inner glow" in the eyes in the right light. Always thought that was clever.

Last edited:
Easy? Scary? Satisfying?

Now are you doing the eyes as well as the nose plug adjustment... AND of course lowering the helmet?

Matrix actually cut a 1/6 head so just the eye section would fit in the mask and painted it silver so you'd get that amber "inner glow" in the eyes in the right light. Always thought that was clever.

Easy... If I can do it then, I have to say yes it's easy. When it comes to projects like this I am never any good. Arts and crafts was not fun for me. :slap
Scary... I was terrified!!! Obviously I didn't want to damage anything. The only thing that gave me the courage to attempt this is that I have the V1 Helmet to fall back on.
Satisfying... For now yes. But only because I haven't broken anything at the moment. :blissy

When I took the mask apart my only intention was to do the Lenses modification. The nose plug adjustment might be going too far for me. I might be willing to lower the dome, but I need to find a friend or relative that has a dremel I can borrow.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, let me know.

So is that the v2 helmet?

How are you planning to do the eyes? Silver paper or tin foil inside?

Do you have sandpaper? You could sand down the top of the head so the helmet would sit lower? Might take a long time. But then again, the widow's peak is only going down to like the next notch on the nose.

Back