1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful with the silver dot things on the chest box straps on this v2. I brushed my hand over one and it popped off. Didn’t even realize for a few minutes as I was futzing him. Talk about a pain to find and a pain to get back on. Very thankful right now I bought that single lense jeweler magnifier thing a few years ago. Made it easier to do.

How get you get it back on?

Ah yes I see them. You’re right though, some screen shots they’re barely visible.

Wait I don't see it. Metal disks on the straps themselves....?

I just checked out the pics on the toy Anxiety page...is this the only version of vader that has the silver dots on the chest box strap? Is this what you all are talking about?

Dude, I love how HT updates that and ignores the frakkin' nose plug. Not like they gotta redo anything other than reducing the length of the plug

Cking: PM sent. Gotta learn your technique for painting such tiny areas so cleanly? Honestly, that kinda blows my mind

Last edited:
You can see them best on the first photo Wor posted on the previous page. They're on the vertical straps, just above the chest box. The v2 ANH Vader chest box has these small metallic discs on the straps (as well as on the horizontal straps which I believe is inaccurate), but the v1 chest box doesn't have them I don't think. Not sure if the R1 Vader chest box does or not.

Thanks, SS. You mean those little dots within my circles? I feel special right now

star-wars-24.jpg

Its like the guy on the left is thinking, 'ah no, ya clueless idiot!!!!!'

They are also on the horizontal straps. Here's a photo of the original costume without the inner robe on.

Original-Chestbox.jpg
You can see them best on the first photo Wor posted on the previous page. They're on the vertical straps, just above the chest box. The v2 ANH Vader chest box has these small metallic discs on the straps (as well as on the horizontal straps which I believe is inaccurate), but the v1 chest box doesn't have them I don't think. Not sure if the R1 Vader chest box does or not.

They are also on the horizontal straps. Here's a photo of the original costume without the inner robe on.

View attachment 399866

Well, well... never saw them and couldn't find a frame because the robe is almost always against the chest box. Must be what HT used because I also see that ridge framed around the red and green badges.

Got to say that sure doesn't look like a screen used costume though.

Well, well... never saw them and couldn't find a frame because the robe is almost always against the chest box. Must be what HT used because I also see that ridge framed around the red and green badges.

Got to say that sure doesn't look like a screen used costume though.

That’s because it’s not. This is a pic of the promo touring costume, worn by Kermit Eller.
da789d7c62a6af2df3bfb228e5559a87.jpg
9221e69913bacfed084ca36fdaff961c.jpg
93a85175e00c14483593012be4b7f8b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's the original suit. Back then Kermit was used for various photoshoots that were used on posters, greetings cards etc.

Here we go again.

So is it one of the actual David Prowse worn suits... or is it something put together at Fox once the movie got big and they created a "touring costume"...?

Given the history of the movie prior to opening -- meaning no one got it -- and the fact they had to make an all-new costume for ESB, I would guess for whatever reason they didn't have a lot of actual Vader costumes lying around for touring, let alone release an original outfit to do tours of places like Toys-R-Us (which is actually where I saw one of the many Vader touring costumes in early 1978).

So is it one of the actual David Prowse worn suits... or is it something put together at Fox once the movie got big and they created a "touring costume"...?

That was always my understanding. Original costume used....I can try to confirm.......

This is from one of the pages of the Costumes hardcover. From the photo descriptions, it would seem that he did indeed wear the actual screen-used costume. I can't confirm that he didn't also wear other costumes, though. :)

VaderKermit.jpg

Here we go again.

Given the history of the movie prior to opening -- meaning no one got it -- and the fact they had to make an all-new costume for ESB, I would guess for whatever reason they didn't have a lot of actual Vader costumes lying around for touring, let alone release an original outfit to do tours of places like Toys-R-Us (which is actually where I saw one of the many Vader touring costumes in early 1978).

Thanks Greg.

No wonder I don't post on here very often.

Interesting. Can you get a larger picture of the one above, because the chest box looks different than the one posted earlier. Also those pics are taken at a different location judging from the background. Really strange to put a screen used outfit on in a parking lot or against a brick wall.

I just went thru the movie (Vader's opening scene and Leia torture) and for the life of me I can't see any ridged-frame around the green/red badge -- they look like very sharp, square raised blocks like all the other colored blocks on all the other badges worn by Imperials.

Back