1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If this looked like the Marmit version I would have paid $400-500 for it easily. Not sure I'll be paying $300 plus shipping on this. Have to think about it. Plus, knowing Hot Toys, they will re-release Vader for sure, maybe learning from their old mistakes and thus making a better one. Too much iconic factor for HT to make just this single Vader.

Hi all I from the UK and own the ssc vader. Just had a look at the pictures of the hot toys release. Don't you find the neck and mask a bit odd. It doesn't look right to me. Also the price is a bit steep on what you actually get for your money.

yeah I want the best DV I can get and at the time I felt the ssc deluxe version just didn't impress me enough.
I couldn't get over that under suit and skinny arms. But now that HT is charging 300$ for theirs god ssc's version for
260$ sounds like a good deal! I know this one has the led gimmicks and voice sounds but damn 300$!!! It's like
HT got the idea in their heads that since this is DV they want to charge as much as they can get away with :cuckoo:

Yeah, SSC V1 was like $120... then SSC V2 is $250... now this at $300.:slap

If this looked like the Marmit version I would have paid $400-500 for it easily. Not sure I'll be paying $300 plus shipping on this. Have to think about it. Plus, knowing Hot Toys, they will re-release Vader for sure, maybe learning from their old mistakes and thus making a better one. Too much iconic factor for HT to make just this single Vader.

I'm still debating as well. If they do make a ton, then the wait-for-in-hand-pics rule applies.:lecture

Who knows, it is only a proto, maybe the sculpt/details will be tweaked. Or not.:lol

Without any doubt we will see another HT ESB or ROTJ version, and I'm not that picky which OT movie Vader's from.

Same. It's a pass for me since I got the last ssc Vader which I thought was excellent. With dollars already stretched this was an easy decision.

As much as I like Darth Vader. Wish they did a better job with the weathering and paint job. This version looks like he stepped out of the Factory.

I will probable not get there dv it doesn`t impress me enough to get him besides the $300.00 hash mark. I have two vaders already might swap out the helmet if it look good enough. but for the gimmicks of breathing sounds and light up sabers nah

Pre-ordered without question. Because it's a big screw you to all that Marvel ****, and because it's a Hot Toys Darth Vader.

Why Marvel ****? I, like so many here, grew up with and love both equally.

Anyway i do wish they would have gotten rid of the gimmick sound and light effects, even the interrogation droid if it would have meant this thing coming in at <$250. Do any high end collectors use lights and sounds after trying it out for a few minutes? Sure it's cool but the extra costs and eventually it breaking (which will happen) it just seems like a pointless feature and an added cost. Batteries leak and damage the figure if left in and who wants to put in the batteries everytime? If they had a mains plug on these things, especially for light-up bases then maybe i could get with it.

Man i think i'm going to buy another ss version and mod that again. I'm not spending what will become €300 and having to mod it again.

Best,

Robert

I just modded my vaders again in hopes of not falling for this one, basically swapped suits for v1v2 and put v1 on a v2 body :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
this will be an easy pass form me as I have the SSC version and that one has the removed helmet look when I get bored of looking at it. Hot Toys don't need to get their Star Wars line right first time because they know they will sell what ever it looks like and if they did then who would buy versions four, five and six. They make us part with our money by making slight improvements over the last. How many versions was there of Tony Stark and they only just got him looking right and he still sold out.

The only thing I currently need from this version with fair certainty is the mask/dome, to upgrade my modded SSC ROTJ Vader. Other things like bodysuit and chest armor remain to be seen, when in hand pics start rolling in.

I'll be picking this up since I don't have a vader in the collection.

For those complaining about the price.. while it is on the expensive side, keep in mind that this is the SW license we are talking about. As someone who has worked on products under the SW license in the past (4-5 yrs ago and before Disney took control), I know it can be quite a lot. This is also the reason the suit my be different, LFL/Disney has final say over everything look wise.

edit: Also, when you work on something under the license, you are sent/can request photos that are not available online. They are part of the lucasfilm library, so while I can't be 100% positive.. I'm pretty sure they know exactly what the suit looks like, but again, they may be overruled on design.

I had a dream I wanted to buy this figure but started noticing it's defects, for some reason I remembered the lights weren't working right, and the helmet was made of corduroy for some odd reason... lol I will probably wait a while before I get this, since I haven't bought any 1/6 vader version.

Back