1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is looking fantastic. No longer looking like a toy, but an actual full scale costume. Well done.

Btw: why don't the images show up when I quote, like it does when everyone else quotes? Am I doing something wrong?

I don't know. The images in your quote are showing up for me. I see them fine. I've noticed that when I quote others the same thing that you described happens to me as well.

And thanks, by the way! 20 years of customizing Vader figures...it really never ends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was thinking about the eye mod. I think it really makes a big difference but I'm far too squeamish to attempt cracking the head open. What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to just, say, stuff the head with cotton to achieve the same effect? I won't have my Vader until next week so I thought I'd ask.

Suggestions, instead of cracking my vader helmet open, to do the lens mod, can I not use a white reflection material and just fill the head up?

View attachment 247152

What has me nervous is the circled areas - and especially the neck seam.....that is with just a little cutting.

View attachment 247154

So I was thinking about the eye mod. I think it really makes a big difference but I'm far too squeamish to attempt cracking the head open. What I'm wondering is, would it be possible to just, say, stuff the head with cotton to achieve the same effect? I won't have my Vader until next week so I thought I'd ask.

You could work some tissue paper inside and up against the lens..

Suggestions, instead of cracking my vader helmet open, to do the lens mod, can I not use a white reflection material and just fill the head up?

View attachment 247152

What has me nervous is the circled areas - and especially the neck seam.....that is with just a little cutting.

View attachment 247154

take the head off first!! ahhhh!!! just try to separate it with your fingers. it works!! don't cut it!!

Thanks! I mainly changed the cheek areas and covered the sculpted imperfections and then I painted it a glossy gunmetalish color where the asymmetrical parts are, as well as repainting the neck area. For the tusks, I would have kept them on but unfortunately the helmet got damaged in shipping, so I just cut off the other one and painted them silver. The dome was the tricky part, I would have liked to use a clear gloss on the original helmet, but I don't have one, so I just painted it glossy black. It was a pain to get it to not have brush strokes.

thank you man... tough work, but there is a big reward! congrats on that mod.

Well done on the pose. That looks magnificent! :clap

Sweet pics, Gipetto, nicely done, boyd. :clap

Thanks fellas...super late on this reply :slap

Apologies for not participating more in this thread. Not alot of time for figure talk lately, unfortunately...looks like many great mods have been done from the speed reading I've been doing. Might do the lens mod now.

Keep up the great work everyone :clap: Lots of amazing pics and amazing Vaders in this thread :rock:

Has anyone received a shipping notice from Sideshow regarding getting this Vader? If I wasn't already invested with a NRD and discount code I'd cancel and buy it from other dealers that seem to have this figure in stock. If Sideshow is requesting that they correct some issue like the belt or the voice feature that's fine, but at least let us know. I'd hate to have Sideshow comeback and say we're not getting anymore of these and miss out.

Has anyone received a shipping notice from Sideshow regarding getting this Vader? If I wasn't already invested with a NRD and discount code I'd cancel and buy it from other dealers that seem to have this figure in stock. If Sideshow is requesting that they correct some issue like the belt or the voice feature that's fine, but at least let us know. I'd hate to have Sideshow comeback and say we're not getting anymore of these and miss out.

I know, it is odd that it's taking so long.

Got Vader from that fantastic ThinkGeek sale (thanks again, ShawPaw!) and I’m glad I did. I was planning on waiting for an ESB version, but couldn’t pass up that great deal. I have Sideshow’s original ANH Vader and was maybe planning on just tracking down the HT head to swap out, but ultimately I’m glad I got the full figure because it’s really impressive and a good improvement over Sideshow's—although I won’t say “huge” improvement.

I haven’t had too much time with him, but the first thing I did was do the cod piece mod and it made a huge difference. I tried messing with the belt and the boxes—tried shimmying them over the velcro, but it was starting to wrinkle the front of the belt that way, and investigated bending the hooks on the boxes, but I’m afraid they’ll break since they’re plastic. So it looks like the only viable solution would be to remove the velcro like people here have suggested.

Getting Vader precipitated me having to get a larger shelving unit, so I went to Ikea this weekend for one, which doubles the space I have now and will give the figures some room to spread out. They were looking pretty crowed on their shelves, so it was a long time coming.

I haven’t had any time since I started commuting into the city, so I haven’t had a chance to put together the shelves, and I haven’t even finished getting all of Vader’s stuff out of the box! I’m most likely not going to bother with the voice feature, but I’m really debating not bothering doing the belt lights either. Maybe I’ll do the lightsaber, though. I’m actually in the process of removing all the batteries from my other figures (in case of leakage, plus I don’t really use them anymore), so I really have to wonder if it’s worth the trouble to add them to Vader.

One thing: my Vader’s cape was really wrinkly, particularly around the front bottom edges. Is the cape safe to iron? Or steam? Any suggestions from someone who had to deal with cape wrinkles?

Got Vader from that fantastic ThinkGeek sale (thanks again, ShawPaw!) and I’m glad I did. I was planning on waiting for an ESB version, but couldn’t pass up that great deal. I have Sideshow’s original ANH Vader and was maybe planning on just tracking down the HT head to swap out, but ultimately I’m glad I got the full figure because it’s really impressive and a good improvement over Sideshow's—although I won’t say “huge” improvement.

I haven’t had too much time with him, but the first thing I did was do the cod piece mod and it made a huge difference. I tried messing with the belt and the boxes—tried shimmying them over the velcro, but it was starting to wrinkle the front of the belt that way, and investigated bending the hooks on the boxes, but I’m afraid they’ll break since they’re plastic. So it looks like the only viable solution would be to remove the velcro like people here have suggested.

Getting Vader precipitated me having to get a larger shelving unit, so I went to Ikea this weekend for one, which doubles the space I have now and will give the figures some room to spread out. They were looking pretty crowed on their shelves, so it was a long time coming.

I haven’t had any time since I started commuting into the city, so I haven’t had a chance to put together the shelves, and I haven’t even finished getting all of Vader’s stuff out of the box! I’m most likely not going to bother with the voice feature, but I’m really debating not bothering doing the belt lights either. Maybe I’ll do the lightsaber, though. I’m actually in the process of removing all the batteries from my other figures (in case of leakage, plus I don’t really use them anymore), so I really have to wonder if it’s worth the trouble to add them to Vader.

One thing: my Vader’s cape was really wrinkly, particularly around the front bottom edges. Is the cape safe to iron? Or steam? Any suggestions from someone who had to deal with cape wrinkles?

Sweet! Happy for you Lu! :duff

It is safe to iron. Just be on lowest setting and be cautious. Mine is wrinkled in the same area. I've gotten most of it out with water treatment and light ironing. I'm going to be going back and trying some real ironing.

Sweet! Happy for you Lu! :duff

Thanks! :duff

It is safe to iron. Just be on lowest setting and be cautious. Mine is wrinkled in the same area. I've gotten most of it out with water treatment and light ironing. I'm going to be going back and trying some real ironing.

Thanks! I'll try that!

I hope they get it soon too. I don't think they've (Sideshow) ever had something up for pre-order then all of a sudden let people know they weren't getting anymore. Remember they are the US distributor who buys all the U.S. stock directly from Hot Toys. Plus I used $270 in rewards points on this guy, only leaving the $30 NRD I had to pay and the flat $10 shipping. They better not cancel!! :( ..Perhaps Hot Toys is just deciding how many to produce for the 2nd wave based on demand. I don't mind being patient, especially if it turns out they are fixing any previous issues (sound features)..

Back