1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if any of the gloves from previous SS Vaders fit this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's really incredible just how many people even notice the tusk difference... after having never noticed it before on their huge flatscreens.

The education of a new generation.
I'll be honest that I've never noticed it before and I'm floored that HTs got it.

This figure is truly phenomenal. When posed with the other HT Star Wars figures he just elevates the entire display up yet another notch. Wow!

Electronics aside (which I have no interest in), this is probably the most immediately impressive OT figure from the HT line. Wandering past the figure on display, you catch different angles of the helmet and immediately flash upon specific scenes from Star Wars. Now, that's no doubt due to the strong lines of the original design, but HT have really captured the character in the sculpt - which, as we know, is no small accomplishment. Very, very impressive.

Just got him. How do I set up the stand? I'm having trouble slotting in the vertical stand to the base. Is there a trick to it? The instructions aren't exactly in depth, and I don't want to try and force it in unless I'm supposed to.

Just got him. How do I set up the stand? I'm having trouble slotting in the vertical stand to the base. Is there a trick to it? The instructions aren't exactly in depth, and I don't want to try and force it in unless I'm supposed to.

If you're setting it toward the back (last row) you have to angle it in - there is a small notch that goes under the edge. Angle it in no matter where you're placing it actually. You do have to force it a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you're setting it toward the back (last row) you have to angle it in - there is a small notch that goes under the edge. Angle it in no matter where you're placing it actually. You do have to force it a bit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect! Thanks.

A lot of people probably don't even realize he wore the tunic on the outside in ANH and then under the armor after that. You'd have to either be very analytical or more than a "casual" fan. :lol

I'm one of these people. I always knew he looked slightly different in ANH being that he looked darker, but I couldn't quite tell what it was. When I was informed that he wears the tunic over his shoulder armor and his respirator didn't light up in the OT until ESB, those were exactly what I couldn't place my finger on as to what made him look different in ANH. :lol

Yeah, Vader parts go real quick. They have been restocking him about once a week or so....

Cool, I'll just keep checking then. I messed up my belt attempting to move the belt boxes closer to the buckle. I was able to salvage it to where he at least has a belt on for display purposes, but would prefer to have an in tact one again and then just let it be. :lol

Cool, I'll just keep checking then. I messed up my belt attempting to move the belt boxes closer to the buckle. I was able to salvage it to where he at least has a belt on for display purposes, but would prefer to have an in tact one again and then just let it be. :lol

I did the same thing. Belt I have now is from TA - about a week or more ago....the belt wasn't cheap cause they sell it with the belt boxes, so I have extra belt boxes now......lol

Okay, for those that want to see the body opened up to expose the electronics, see below. Steps to open up are as follows:

1. Remove 4 Phillips Head screws from back of torso.
2. Pull upper body (arms and chest) as a single unit away from torso.
3. Gently work the back torso cover away from the front, being careful to not yank the wires/soldered connections.

Here is the view after step 3:
20160111_234344_resized.jpg

4. Remove two small Phillips Head screws from circuit board and you get this:
20160111_234407_resized.jpg

Now, while it will be possible to remove the speaker and electronics, it will be a permanent change to the body. Note the large black globs of adhesive in the above picture. The speaker is screwed into a small enclosure on the chest and is simple to remove along with the circuit board. The microswitch and the battery terminals are what you would need to grind out (or, alternatively, just cut the wires and solder in a new battery enclosure and microswitch.

The Hot Toys stands are easy to separate (6 Phillips screws on the underside separate the halves, no adhesive). There is enough room to make a shallow speaker enclosure and it will also fit the circuit board and batteries. A small hole in the back or sides will allow you to mount a microswitch accessible from the outside.

Is it possible? Yes. Would it take some work? Yes...probably more effort than most people can/will put into it for the reward of hearing the select few James Earl Jones quotes. Plus, you are making an irreversible change to the body if you grind out the microswitch and battery terminal strips. The speaker, by the way, suffers from not having a large enough bass enclosure. You will see what I mean by cupping your hands over the speaker holes on the chest while the sounds play...sounds much better when you enclose the speaker better.

Okay, for those that want to see the body opened up to expose the electronics, see below. Steps to open up are as follows:

1. Remove 4 Phillips Head screws from back of torso.
2. Pull upper body (arms and chest) as a single unit away from torso.
3. Gently work the back torso cover away from the front, being careful to not yank the wires/soldered connections.

Here is the view after step 3:
View attachment 236505

4. Remove two small Phillips Head screws from circuit board and you get this:
View attachment 236506

Now, while it will be possible to remove the speaker and electronics, it will be a permanent change to the body. Note the large black globs of adhesive in the above picture. The speaker is screwed into a small enclosure on the chest and is simple to remove along with the circuit board. The microswitch and the battery terminals are what you would need to grind out (or, alternatively, just cut the wires and solder in a new battery enclosure and microswitch.

The Hot Toys stands are easy to separate (6 Phillips screws on the underside separate the halves, no adhesive). There is enough room to make a shallow speaker enclosure and it will also fit the circuit board and batteries. A small hole in the back or sides will allow you to mount a microswitch accessible from the outside.

Is it possible? Yes. Would it take some work? Yes...probably more effort than most people can/will put into it for the reward of hearing the select few James Earl Jones quotes. Plus, you are making an irreversible change to the body if you grind out the microswitch and battery terminal strips. The speaker, by the way, suffers from not having a large enough bass enclosure. You will see what I mean by cupping your hands over the speaker holes on the chest while the sounds play...sounds much better when you enclose the speaker better.

Just a crazy thought, but would it be possible to reprogram it in such a way to eliminate the 15 minutes standby permanently. So that the voice function always works when you press the remote button?

Honestly what we all need is someone who's savvy with electronics to hook the wiring up to their computer so they can record the sounds at a higher quality than just through the speaker, and then post an MP3 for everyone. Really Hot Toys should just provide that. I'd be happy enough to play the sounds on my phone.

Back