1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Darth Vader Sixth Scale Figure

*looks around for gif of office guy jumping out of skyscraper window* :lol

Looking for this? :mwaha

Chris-morris-jumps-out-window-o.gif

Other than skinny arms and dem pants, that Vader on the right looks pretty damn good.

I'll add a few more wrong things...Height, Helmet Dome, Facemask Sculpt, wrong saber(the actual ROTJ saber was the ESB MPP reused, the MOM style saber that comes with the SS figure was a stunt version)

I can't wait till' the Hot Toys Vader is shown. He's gonna be nitpicked to hell and back.

If Hot Toys gives him a rubber suit, WATCH OUT.

I can't wait till' the Hot Toys Vader is shown. He's gonna be nitpicked to hell and back.

All good by me...I have an accurate 1:1 ANH Vader display so 1/6 doesn't do much for me anyway.

I was never majorly fussy about accuracy with the Star Wars stuff. Mainly my beefs were about stuff that looked stupid, anatomical weirdness and so on. Talking about the Hasbro 3 3/4 figures here. Softgoods robes and capes, ugly ball-joint heads, giraffe necks, bulbous limb joints, heads too small or too big, anorexic Han Solo figures etc etc.

Hopefully HT's is 'perfect' so we can finally have some peace in regards to Vader. Nitpicking and *****ing about the SSC's is one of my least favourite things to read in this section simply because of how much it's reiterated by the same people ad nauseum. Gets tiring when anytime anyone says it's OK, it's like an invitation for 'someone' *coughs* to ridicule their taste. Hopefully HT's is 'good enough' for all the self proclaimed Vader 1:6th experts. :pray:

Yeah, its kind of sickening.... I'm glad I don't care about every last detail and expect everything to be 100% perfect. Both of those look exactly like Vader to me and that's all that matters. Why waste energy complaining about something that's really not a big deal.

Your Darth Madden cartoon in your sig looks like Darth Vader to me... but I don't think that would be a version I'd want. Nitpicking aside, I think it all gets down to how "real" Vader looks out of the box without major futzing and upgrading. HT has a very good track record for things looking awesome right out of the box. I think everyone is hoping for the same here. Of course not every button will be scaled perfectly or every thread a total match, so there will always, always, always be a margin for improvement -- each to his own on where they draw the line.

That used to be my hope as well for 1:6 figures, but I think it's just not realisitic. The closest thing to what you are describing is hurricane's Vader, and he spent years and years improving his versions to get it to that level. While HT of course has greater means and more people working on it, they also have time and budgetary contraints keeping them from that level of perfection IMO. Of course this is not to say I don't want to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see it happening.

This is probably one of the best attitudes to adopt regarding these toys, yes I say toys. In the end they will always look like a 12" figure, no matter how good. There will always be things they miss or don't get right. And I am super picky, that is why I usually stick with 1:1 stuff. 1:6 and 1:4 just cant capture the same nuances as 1:1. The irony in my collection is although I am privileged to be in the know regarding Disney/HT/SW I don't own any 1:6 figures. I have seen pics of the upcoming HT Vader figure from different angles and I will tell you right now...it is not perfect, its damn close and a whole lot better than what has been offered thus far. But in the end it is a 1:6 toy and it looks like it and will never look like a 1:1.

I have seen pics of the upcoming HT Vader figure from different angles and I will tell you right now...it is not perfect, its damn close and a whole lot better than what has been offered thus far. But in the end it is a 1:6 toy and it looks like it and will never look like a 1:1.

And Jack Bauer is always right (being serious), so there. Damn close is enough for me. I wish I could see what you have seen with your eyes...

Between SS and HT there's a good chance we will get the entire original 12 Kenner "early bird" characters within the next year. If we get that I would be happy and amazed. As long as everyone looks good I'll keep my calipers away from them.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They are pushing out a lot of OT characters at the moment, but once they've done the big hitters it will be full steam ahead with the ST and spin offs, with perhaps some PT in between.

Yeah, after this surge of OT goodness through the end of 2015, we may see TFA and not love it and then get 2 years of 1/6 TFA characters we don't really want shoved down our throats. Seems like Disney is abandoning the PT but HT would be crazy to not do Maul, Anakin and Padme.

Their batman and iron man lines tend to disagree with you.

I have seen pics of the upcoming HT Vader figure from different angles and I will tell you right now...it is not perfect, its damn close and a whole lot better than what has been offered thus far.

Considering how obsessed you are about Vader, I love the sound of this. :joy

And Jack Bauer is always right (being serious), so there. Damn close is enough for me. I wish I could see what you have seen with your eyes...

Soon, brother, soon....

Due to the lighting from TESB, Vader looked cool in every scene/location. In ROTJ his helmet looked kind of plastic or something....:dunno

Don't get me wrong I like ANH version too which is why I will pre-order.

Your Darth Madden cartoon in your sig looks like Darth Vader to me... but I don't think that would be a version I'd want. Nitpicking aside, I think it all gets down to how "real" Vader looks out of the box without major futzing and upgrading. HT has a very good track record for things looking awesome right out of the box. I think everyone is hoping for the same here. Of course not every button will be scaled perfectly or every thread a total match, so there will always, always, always be a margin for improvement -- each to his own on where they draw the line.

I agree that there is always room for improvement but some people just take things way too far and complain about the smallest things and it just gets to be too much. There will NEVER and I repeat NEVER be a 100% perfect 1/6 scale figure that everyone will agree is 100% perfect. And whats even worse are the arrogant on their high horse people that say "Well if YOU like it that's fine but I don't pay for garbage." I just feel like punching them in the mouth. :)

Yeah, it can get brutal and callous. I think it also works on the other side though -- for example, people who have the Tamashii can get pretty cruel over its superiority. It isn't just those who are never satisfied... it's also those who have invested and don't want any more satisfaction. :lol

The nit picking about previous Vaders is inevitable whenever anyone asks why HT would revisit a character SS has just done.

Interesting...the darth madden vader helmet is clearly from the medicom vinyl collectible sculpt....

There are sculpts that are fairly distinct...the artfx vader (the one people complained about him in a potty stance) actually has a pretty good helmet sculpt, but because it is more of a model than a figure, no one notices how good it is...we've come to expect statues or model kits to look good, but we are forever skeptical about the "toys"

The lines are getting blurred now, and I for one am hopeful that as long as it is an improvement over the sideshow, I'll be satisfied as long as they don't screw up new obvious things...

I don't mind a symmetrical helmet as long as it is in favor of more ot angles ( like koto, marmit or even the kaiyodo 1/6 model which the Revoltech is based upon)

For me the helmet is most important since I've seen other products that look quite decent.....

and yes that includes the jakks pacific 31" figure...the dome stripe is a little thick but the overall shape is vaderesque ( this is from digital models I believe also used for the face on the Disney figure and the Star Wars weekends popcorn bucket) minor shapes are loft like the bridge of the nose, minor slices are simplified between facets on the mask, simplified, but the overall look is right....

With vader, there are cheats in order for the helmet to sit as screen accurate on the shoulders, if it includes the neck brace, because it is typically without the rear neck brace...it sits lower, making the domes flare look longer than it is. The neck brace literally lifts the whole helmet on top of the shoulders making the dome appear shorter. Correctly sculpted or not people will find fault in the helmet or it's position.

The cinemaquette vader helmet is a scan from an official helmet from the archive...
It even has the right warbles and idiosyncrasies as the screen used masks...
the dome sits just a little higher due to the sculpted cinemaquette connection,
but it is because of the neck brace that the helmet sits higher overall making the dome appear even shorter.

Back