1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely looks like QS002-itis to me. A reinterpretation. Some will like it, maybe even most. I couldn't though.

Man, my opinion of the QS002 really dropped, but for a completist need I'd sell mine :lol

He does not really look like a giant here...

That video shows how important the dome is to the look. I think the figure would be tremendously improved with a correctly sized and proportioned dome. I hope someone makes a custom one.

That is an awesome video. And you can really see how the helmet seems to flare out more along the sides than the HT helmet does. And also how far out the brow seems to sit as well.

I say that all the time. It's all about the flare.

f.ashx

You'll have to watch the whole thing - I was just pulling pics of the helmet and not sure where the "black voice" thing comes in.

By the way, this video has some great behind the scenes footage of the making of Empire (England soundstages) and is actually a pretty interesting show about the film business as it existed in 1980:

Wow, these are brilliant! Now what was that kids movie show with Michael Aspel on BBC1? Mark Hamill appeared on it around the release of ESB. Oh, and am i right in thinking Hamill appeared on Jim'll Fix It (gulp) having a picnic on Dagobah with some kid?

You know someone will be offering red lenses. :lol

I'm not a mod guy/customizer, but if you wanted to achieve that dusty look, couldn't you apply talcum powder and seal it somehow?

View attachment 155839

I've had to explain a lot of things to my wife, but telling her why I'm carefully applying talcum powder to a large action figure of Darth Vader is one conversation that's not going to happen.

that's no "comb over"... that is a pompadour... and the dude knows how to rock it.

That is the rockin'est pompadour in the history of rocking pompadours.:yess::clap

I always thought Luke was as tall as Vader's silver/or gunmetal nose, Fett was at his eyes and Han and Lando were at Vader's forehead.

I'm pretty sure in Empire strikes back there's a shot of General Veers talking to Vader right before he goes to Hoth and he looks just as tall and imposing as Vader, if not more so.

Yeah, the actor who played Veers is nearly Prowse's height (it's like 6'-2" versus 6'-4" or something.)

Haven't seen many complaints about it, but is anyone else bothered (and/or creeped out) by the skinny, deformed looking fingers on this thing? I'm fine with the idea of separate pieces, but it would have been nice if they actually sculpted the hands to look like they were wearing the same gloves!

Looks here like he's wearing Dexter's serial killer gloves instead or something.

View attachment 155822

:exactly: Yeah, noticed that when I first saw that the gloves were separate pieces. Vader's fingers were somewhat thick and the leather smoother than those hands show.

What can I say.. it ain't the Vader I was hoping for. At this point - even if one was cashed up enough to buy a bucket of 1/6 Vader bits & pieces.. the parts are still scaled for a taller than appropriate base body. Doing the shortening mod - even on the nice customs, makes them look like large dwarfs (slight exaggeration).

It's going to be the issue with all three Vader figs - SSC V1, SSC V2/DX and now HT - you can shorten the figure with a new body, but the armor parts themselves are too big (I kept noticing oversized/too-tall boots on SSC shortened figures.) Then you have the Medi parts - which are too SMALL.:gah:

I bet she's not really a nun.

Julian Glover, he of Last Crusade and GoT fame, is 6-2, three inches shorter than David Prowse.

As the old saying goes, always an inch shorter than you remember.:lol

And I always loved this one of Veers (and Piett for some reason) getting ****ed off at Vader...

Wow, these are brilliant! Now what was that kids movie show with Michael Aspel on BBC1? Mark Hamill appeared on it around the release of ESB. Oh, and am i right in thinking Hamill appeared on Jim'll Fix It (gulp) having a picnic on Dagobah with some kid?

'Screen Test'. Or 'Clapper Board' ?

I think the Jim'll Fix It ESB clip is on You Tube, and it's quite unfortunate with Luke's saber being a bit phallic. Especially with what's come to light about Savile.

Just noticed I had a pic of Vader and the stormie both on the same stand at around the same picture height/angle so thought it might be a rough relative size guide. The width of stand and height of vertical post were made the same to make both pics about equal. This is the taller stormie. From movie stills, looks like the taller stormies should come up to around Vader's nose.

10gllw6.png

Almost looks to me like Vader's torso needs to be shortened by about 3/8" and it would be good. Torso looks too long as is, so chest details are too spread out. The armor looks like it will still look right on a shortened figure, the boots are always the problem and it looks (from this rough comp) it may be okay.

I do see how the figure could be improved quite a bit with some modding and futzing here and there (the first step being obviously to lower the dome and redden the eyes). But still, for $300 you would hope a figure straight out of the box wouldn't NEED so much fixing.

The neck is a little long, hopefully they adjust it a little, or its gonna be the toys fair batman begins cowl all over again.

Back