1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 249 - The Joker (Bank Robber Version 2.0) - 1/6 - TF Exclusive 2014

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tempted by this I have to say. I started off with the aim of collecting 1/4 scale, but the price tag on EB's Robocop and a UK retailer hijacking my money for the HT 1/4 DKR ended that for me pretty quickly. I've since caught up on 1/6th scale and am hoping to P.O the dark knight armory later this year. I don't own a single DK figure and I think these two guys would fit the bill nicely. I promised myself I wouldn't collect villains, but Ledger and Loki might have to find their way into the cabs...

How did you feel about DX10 compared to the original MMS. Didn't you have like 10 of those? Did you feel slapped in the face by DX10?

No, but then I'm a Terminator obsessive. I welcomed improvement there (even though it actually took some steps back too). People would have welcomed improvement here aswell, not necessarily everyone though is what I'm saying. Heck some people have posted here just to rejoice that Hot Toys have saved them money, they can keep their original and be happy with it.

I don't want to sound like a cry baby but WTF were HT thinking reusing a severely outdated sculpt? I personally think this is embarrassing for a company of that caliber to resort to methods like this in order to make a buck. The Bruce Wayne sculpt from DX12 being repainted for the armory makes sense because that at least is still considered new and up to date but this, :slap

I see this complaint a lot about the V1 headsculpt being "severly outdated". Sure, it is an old sculpt in terms of how many years it's been out, but it's still a pretty good Joker headsculpt (both of them are). It's held up well even when on display with the newer figures that came out since then, that headsculpt doesn't look out of place. When you compare Hot Toys first ever Batman figure, MMS13, to the MMS67, or their first Terminator to their recent ones, it looks like they were made by two different companies. The gap is not nearly so wide between the BRJ V1 headsculpt and their latest TDK figures, including DX11.

The question is, is it worth getting if you don't have the original because you sold it...like I did about a year ago. I like the bank robber look, but it's the same figure again. Maybe I'll wait for in hand pics, if it doesn't sell out that is...

No, but then I'm a Terminator obsessive. I welcomed improvement there (even though it actually took some steps back too). People would have welcomed improvement here aswell, not necessarily everyone though is what I'm saying. Heck some people have posted here just to rejoice that Hot Toys have saved them money, they can keep their original and be happy with it.

I hear ya and understand what you're saying. Hell, I didn't feel the need to replace my MMS with DX10. At least it was a option though. These re releases repaints etc may seem like good business practice for HT in the short term but long term it will kill them, just like McFarlane, Comic books, Baseball cards, Hasbro SW...

People will eventually get sick of buying the same stuff over and over.

I'm just relieved that most people seem to be on the same page today about this.

Yep, my first thought, when seeing the teaser pic was "huh, I could dig it. The first version was really good, but I can see how there's room for improvement after all these years." Clearly Howard didn't agree; cheapass bastard.:lol

No, but then I'm a Terminator obsessive. I welcomed improvement there (even though it actually took some steps back too).
Good point. They did regress by focusing on T2 figures for awhile there, but seem to have nicely corrected their course by focusing on T1 again.

I see this complaint a lot about the V1 headsculpt being "severly outdated". Sure, it is an old sculpt in terms of how many years it's been out, but it's still a pretty good Joker headsculpt (both of them are). It's held up well even when on display with the newer figures that came out since then, that headsculpt doesn't look out of place. When you compare Hot Toys first ever Batman figure, MMS13, to the MMS67, or their first Terminator to their recent ones, it looks like they were made by two different companies. The gap is not nearly so wide between the BRJ V1 headsculpt and their latest TDK figures, including DX11.
I agree with you. The sculpt isn't outdated at all, besting the DX-01, and rivaling the DX-11. Yulli coming onboard with HT seemed to happen at the time of a sea change away from the more primitive sculpts of their earliest releases, and into something that set them apart from your Sideshows of the world. She's still sculpting for them (having done both the sculpt here and subsequent Joker sculpts), and it isn't like her abilities have dramatically decreased. The outdated part is the paint work (which isn't always better nowadays than it was 3-4 years ago, btw), the body types used (now HT have much more options--though again, sometimes they make WTF decisions like the new Cap that would actually be better served with the old "broad shouldered" TTM-01 bodies), and maybe in the tailoring department. If I had to pick specific areas where HT seems to be incrementally changing/evolving, it would really be in terms of tailoring and body types, because those are both instances where they clearly try to correct past mistakes. I think they're paintwork has sort of plateaued, and the sculpts have been pretty consistently good (with a periodic lemon) for a long time now.

People who pay jacked up aftermarket prices on HT figures get no sympathy from me. Hot Toys' primary business model at this point is rerelease every popular character they produce until the cows come home, via either straight re-releases, slight refinements, major overhauls, or variants of some sort.

Good post.

I pity them fools.

I missed out on the Dx of this so I'd really like to get this one. I never tried to get a TF Ex on release...How do they go up for PO? I think I remember the last ones going right up on sideshows site.

That original BR sculpt was really the first thing that drew me into 1/6 scale collecting. I was even showing off pictures of the prototype to non-geek co-workers :lol

I loved/love the original Bank Robber Joker headsculpt. I owned and had seen Hot Toys before, but that was their first figure that really pushed the envelope towards realism. You gotta remember that before that, it was the V1 headsculpt.

This repaint gimmick they're doing is going to be a new trend now, I'm sure of it. It won't surprise me if we start seeing some really whacky, cash grabbing releases in the near future where they take an older, classic figure from their catalog and blow the dust off of em. They're almost at MMS 300, can't really blame then for jumping the shark.

They did the same repaint gimmick with the 1978 Superman last year. I wouldn't mind a Jack sparrow from the first film repaint with shorter black hair, using the dx head sculpt :)

Back