1/6 Hot Toys-MMS 218/219-Batman(1966)-Batman and Robin 1/6th Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the fence about Robin as a character. I never understood why a lone vigilante dressed in black (to supposedly hide in the shadows) would ally himself with a brightly colored child prodigy. I know it was fashionable in the 40's comics for heroes to have a youthful sidekick (supposedly it brought in younger readers) but it never made sense pertaining to Batman. At least not in the comics.
That's an easy one. The Tiny Toons cartoon made it clear in their version of Robin--aka "Decoy" :lol

g4e6eaddb.jpg

I'm on the fence about Robin as a character. I never understood why a lone vigilante dressed in black (to supposedly hide in the shadows) would ally himself with a brightly colored child prodigy. I know it was fashionable in the 40's comics for heroes to have a youthful sidekick (supposedly it brought in younger readers) but it never made sense pertaining to Batman. At least not in the comics.

My rational for buying THIS Robin figure however is simple: This is NOT the comics version of Batman and Robin! THIS Robin comes from a different media with a different tone. The campy, colorful, sometimes psychedelic, 66' television version was as much about the "Dynamic Duo" as the "Caped Crusader"! Anyone who watched the show growing up wouldn't even consider one without the other!

There's a reason Sideshow hasn't announced a Robin to join their "comics-based" DC 1/6 line (and I wouldn't buy him if they did) but Bruce Wayne needs his Ward...Burt Ward that is. ;)

That's just it, though; it's never really been about "allying himself with a child prodigy," it's about Bruce finding companionship in a kindred spirit, and offering someone with the potential to go to very dark places another path. Bruce has experienced all the things Richard has, and he knows just what kind of darkness those things open up inside of you. Robin doesn't exist because Batman needs help; Robin exists because Batman is trying to help.

In some ways, I think people who don't like Robin are only people who don't like certain aspects of Batman; because Robin is Batman at his most optimistic; he represents the idea that there is hope in the future and that Batman is more than just a weapon of righteous vengeance, he's an instrument of justice, and, finally, that the idea of fighting for justice does not only entail punishing the wicked, but saving those who've fallen victim to injustice, as well.

I am a fan of the character of Robin. But Robin was created solely so that young boys could engage in wish fulfillment. It's hard to realistically defend the idea of taking a young child and putting him in harm's way. The logical end of that line of thought, that Batman could justify doing this, is that he was completely demented and reckless. Just one of those things you have to chalk up to being an aspect of a fantastic comic book, where the rules of the real world don't totally apply. In the DC-verse, it's not creepy and unconscionable to have young teen and pre-teen sidekicks putting their lives on the line while they act as vigilantes.

I know Robin's actual creation was as a POV character, but I'm just explaining why I find him to be an important part of the Batman mythos. I don't necessarily look at Batman's taking Robin out with him as putting him in harm's way; I see it as his way of guiding a troubled youth; he's giving **** a venue to take all of that anger bubbling up through his soul and channel it in a positive, constructive way. I think that, in some ways, Robin is akin to what people think of Batman in Nolan's Trilogy; it's almost like a radical form of therapy. With Jason Todd being the exception, look at all of Batman's other sidekicks; they've all grown up to be extremely well adjusted people, who, even when tragedy strikes, are able to utilize those circumstances in positive ways (like Babs). I think of Gotham as hell itself. Without anyone or anything to put your faith in, it will consume you and eat through your very soul.

With that in mind, I don't think Robin would be any better off had Bruce just left him under that circus tent. He would've exacted his vengeance one way or another, and it probably would've turned him into someone the Batman stalks through the night. I also think that one of the reasons the "Robin" identity is necessary is because of Batman. Bruce Wayne has devoted his life to something other than being Bruce Wayne, and, as such, he can't really connect as Bruce Wayne. That's one of the things I love about "Robin's Reckoning." He's saying things, but he's not really getting through to **** because Bruce isn't really someone you would find relatable. Batman, though, is the ultimate form of relatability for a kid who just experienced severe trauma because, in a lot of ways, Batman is just a kid who never grew up.

There's a sense of immaturity to what Batman does; this is a grown man, who is living out a promise he made as a child, which was...to become a masked avenger like the one in the movie he saw right before witnessing his parents' murder? Batman is awesome, no doubt, but a well adjusted adult he is not. A psychologically stable person would've most likely dealt with their trauma in therapy years prior and went on to using their power and influence to help those in need, rather than his body and his mind. I guess what I'm trying to address here is your point about Batman being demented and reckless by saying that, more than anything, I believe it's immaturity at work. However, I think it's also testament to his ability to save these people, not only from becoming criminals, but by turning into him as well. Nightwing, Red Robin, Batgirl; I think that they could probably give up the life more easily than Bruce could, under the right circumstances.

Last edited:
Any one got their flex pay charged yet??? When batman came out he was already shipped in the A.M. By this time two weeks ago

Sent from Le iPhone 5S using Tapatalk - now Free

When Robin first appeared Batman wasn't dressed in black, and the '66 Burt Ward Robin is very much like the Robin of 1940:

Detective_Comics_38.jpg

I see the Hot Toys Robin as being very much the early comics version of the character.

I totally agree!

My post wasn't meant to illustrate the difference (or similarities) in color. By "dressed in black" I didn't mean the way Michael Keaton or Christian Bale was "dressed in black", I meant Batman was originally designed to be a dark, brooding figure dressed in dark colors (in which to camouflage himself in the night). Brightly colored Robin clashed significantly with the original design of the character. That's the only reason I brought up color.

My post was meant to illustrate that I personally didn't like Robin as a comics character but from the 66' television show he's a must for me as an action figure!

That's it really.

That's just it, though; it's never really been about "allying himself with a child prodigy," it's about Bruce finding companionship in a kindred spirit, and offering someone with the potential to go to very dark places another path. Bruce has experienced all the things Richard has, and he knows just what kind of darkness those things open up inside of you. Robin doesn't exist because Batman needs help; Robin exists because Batman is trying to help.

In some ways, I think people who don't like Robin are only people who don't like certain aspects of Batman; because Robin is Batman at his most optimistic; he represents the idea that there is hope in the future and that Batman is more than just a weapon of righteous vengeance, he's an instrument of justice, and, finally, that the idea of fighting for justice does not only entail punishing the wicked, but saving those who've fallen victim to injustice, as well.

I know Robin's actual creation was as a POV character, but I'm just explaining why I find him to be an important part of the Batman mythos. I don't necessarily look at Batman's taking Robin out with him as putting him in Hamm's way; I see it as his way of guiding a troubled youth; he's giving **** a venue to take all of that anger bubbling up through his soul and channel it in a positive, constructive way. I think that, in some ways, Robin is akin to what people think of Batman in Nolan's Trilogy; it's almost like a radical form of therapy. With Jason Todd being the exception, look at all of Batman's other sidekicks; they've all grown up to be extremely well adjusted people, who, even when tragedy strikes, are able to utilize those circumstances in positive ways (like Babs). I think of Gotham as hell itself. Without anyone or anything to put your faith in, it will consume you and eat through your very soul.

With that in mind, I don't think Robin would be any better off had Bruce just left him under that circus tent. He would've exacted his vengeance one way or another, and it probably would've turned him into someone the Batman stalks through the night. I also think that one of the reasons the "Robin" identity is necessary is because of Batman. Bruce Wayne has devoted his life to something other than being Beuce Wayne, and, as such, he can't really connect as Bruce Wayne. That's one of the things I love about "Robin's Reckoning." He's saying things, but he's not really getting through to **** because Bruce isn't really someone you would find relatable. Batman, though, is the ultimate form of relatability for a kid who just experienced severe trauma because, in a lot of ways, Batman is just a kid who never grew up.

There's a sense of immaturity to what Batman does; this is a grown man, who is living out a promise he made as a child, which was...to become a masked avenger like the one in the movie he saw right before witnessing his parents' murder? Batman is awesome, no doubt, but a well adjusted adult he is not. A psychologically stable person would've most likely dealt with their trauma in therapy years prior and went on to using their power and influence to help those in need, rather than his his body and his mind. I guess what I'm trying to address here is your point about Batman being demented and reckless by saying that, more than anything, I believe it's immaturity at work. However, I think it's also testament to his ability to save these people, not only from becoming criminals, but by turning into him as well. Nightwing, Red Robin, Batgirl; I think that they could probably give up the life more easily than Bruce could, under the right circumstances.

I don't do this often because I find it needlessly takes up thread space but..

:goodpost::clap:goodpost:

I really enjoyed reading that.

Any one got their flex pay charged yet??? When batman came out he was already shipped in the A.M. By this time two weeks ago

Sent from Le iPhone 5S using Tapatalk - now Free

I have been charged and Robin is on the truck! :yess:

The caped crusader has arrived:clap. To bad I have to wait 6 hours to check for QC issues.. Robin is now on the way. Hot toys needs to hurry up an announce the batmobile

Officially cancelled I'm afraid to say.

Well it wasn't really that hard but with other stuff coming out that I want and with space becoming a real issue I just couldn't justify fitting these guys in and missing out on some other figures that I really want in my collection.

I had to cancel a few weeks ago too, but it hurts oh so bad. :( That's why I've been avoiding this thread. They will be mine someday. Oh yes, they will be mine.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I'm right there with you. I hate Robin. In every shape, form & incarnation. Him and all his clones, predecessors and wanna be's.

Although I kinda like his little green slippers though...very fashionable. :slap :wink1: :lol

wow and i thought i was the only one with those sentiments....pure Batman fan only!!!

I'm not much of a Robin fan either, but I think Burt Ward's version is an exception though.

I hate Robin. Always have. Batman doesn't need some kid to help him fight crime.

Like vintij , the Burt Ward Robin is the only exception.

I had to cancel a few weeks ago too, but it hurts oh so bad. :( That's why I've been avoiding this thread. They will be mine someday. Oh yes, they will be mine.

Sorry to hear that pal. Hopefully you can pick them up later on down the road.

Back