Hot Toys MMS 141 - Platoon - Sergeant Barnes official specs and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah they waited too long. If they don't say anything this year, I'm probably selling my Taylor and Barnes.

I just bought that figure and it is way too brown. Anybody has the procedure to dye this figure? (I have no idea how to do it). Do you simply buy OD Green dye at the pharmacy and what not?

Also, can anyone point me to a site where they sell 1/6 Flak Jackets? I cant find any on eBay.

Thank you

Wish Hot Toys would have finished off the line. Really wanted to complete my Platoon set. Such great sculpts on both these figures. Elias would have been awesome to have. Seems like this will never happen :gah:

Use a mixture of diluted RIT dyes (forest/dark green and chocolate brown). The results are perfect!

Is it half and half? I bought a tshirt of the same color as the brown Barnes uniform at the Dollarstore and will make some tests on it first

Wish Hot Toys would have finished off the line. Really wanted to complete my Platoon set. Such great sculpts on both these figures. Elias would have been awesome to have. Seems like this will never happen :gah:

Honestly I'm kinda amazed they even did figures for an 80s movie which, while being excellent and firing an amazing Vietnam war craze at the time, isn't exactly action figures sellable. Not sure they made enough money with the line to warrant pursuing it.

Honestly I'm kinda amazed they even did figures for an 80s movie which, while being excellent and firing an amazing Vietnam war craze at the time, isn't exactly action figures sellable. Not sure they made enough money with the line to warrant pursuing it.

Well, from what I read, Sideshow did a line of Platoon figures in 2002 and they were really popular. I think Hot Toys thought it would work for them 8 years after. I don't know how well they did, but I love this figure. I need to get Chris soon. However, I feel they should have at least done Elias, cause it feels like something is missing and Elias is it.

Also, I thought it was cool that they choose to do figures from what many consider to be one of the best films of the 80's, not to mention one of the best war films ever. It would be nice if Hot Toys could do more classic films like this, but it's tough when they get all the Recent blockbuster license.

As for the color of the Fatigues, I never noticed it before. Now that I do look at it looks more brown.

He's very easy to photograph.

Is it half and half? I bought a tshirt of the same color as the brown Barnes uniform at the Dollarstore and will make some tests on it first

Yeah, you don't really need too much to make it work (half a spoonful of each). If anything goes wrong, you can always bleach it (this will make the fatigues a light lime green, which in turn is easier to dye).

When it comes to dyeing, always remember:

Experiment, experiment, experiment!

Well I'm experimenting on some fabric and it's a god thing because it turned out wAaay to dark, and this with only a half a tea spoon of each. but ill wait until its totally dried before judging it

They would have sold better if not for the fact that we all knew they probably wouldn't finish the line. With this film you need Taylor, Barnes and Elias. I ended up selling Taylor and Barnes because it was an incomplete set. Others had the foresight not to bother buying in the first place. A pity, really great sculpts on these.

They would have sold better if not for the fact that we all knew they probably wouldn't finish the line. With this film you need Taylor, Barnes and Elias. I ended up selling Taylor and Barnes because it was an incomplete set. Others had the foresight not to bother buying in the first place. A pity, really great sculpts on these.

Yeah, the sculpt on Barnes is really good. It sucks they never made Elias, but I'm content with Barnes and Taylor.

Yeah it was a very out of the blue kind of release at the time but it's what made me like Hot Toys in the first place. It is one of my favorite movies of the 80s. And I never thought they'd be manufactured by anyone. They probably didn't sell as good as there other licenses which is why they lost interest in continuing the line. Glad I have these two in my collection at least lol. But I think Elias is a long shot especially with all the Marvel and DC licenses producing way more profitability than these smaller lines. But I can always hope :pray:

Yeah, you don't really need too much to make it work (half a spoonful of each). If anything goes wrong, you can always bleach it (this will make the fatigues a light lime green, which in turn is easier to dye).

When it comes to dyeing, always remember:

Experiment, experiment, experiment!

How long did you leave the clothes in the water?

attachment.php
One of my favs still.

Last edited:
Finished dyeing it. need to put back the scarf and will post comparison shots during the day

Edit: still too brown. :(

Last edited:
Anybody has a malboro pack print out so I can build that cigarette pack myself? Else I may have to build something myself in Paint!

Back