Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much to say in all this debate. I hate seeing those broken ones. Mine came in, a day or two ago, in great shape. It is one of the last figures I am gonna get for a long time, and means a lot to me personally, hell, the Alien is the first real figure I ever got, (the Kenner and the old MPC kit) so this represents thirty years of collecting to me. I do have opinions about the figure, and have kept them to myself for a long time now.

I have read the spirited "conversations" and have to side with Goforindian. Good on you pal! I agree.
I LOVE, and let me say this clearly, LOVE my Hot Toys Big Chap. It took me GREAT pains to get, during tough times, and not without a lot of sacrifice, so I must reiterate, it represents more to me than it could to many of you.
That having been said, I have mine, it's fine, I did readjust the mouth a bit, ten minute transfer of tongue (from a MadFarlane Alien) and a hit with a Krylon silver leafing pen on the teeth, some washes of color, not much, a trim here or there, and done. EASY fixes all. Therefore, I say, the figure as is, is amazing. I was breathless opening the box. And pretty darned grateful also.

Here are the pics of mine, posed with my now FINALLY completed Ripley, which I have worked on for nearly four years...(she needed hair is all...this figure put that fire into me..and no, I am not making them...she is not for sale at any price...but I will share the recipe anytime...) so enjoy one of these, in one very grateful person's collection.

AD021.jpg

AD024.jpg

AD025.jpg

AD026.jpg

And in the collection

AD027.jpg

AD028.jpg

Hope these pics help any of you on the fence. I think this figure RULES!!!! Totally! GET ONE! And if you don't want it, don't. Your loss, not mine. :rock

I coudn't agree more. AMAZING stuff, Les! The A L I E N looks fantastic and that easily the BEST 1/6 Ripley figure I've ever seen. Top job!

I have such Les Ripley envy. :(

I'm going to follow in the great one's footsteps and give my Alien some ballin' chrome Crunk Teeth!

Too bad I cant find a damn Krylon Silver pen anywhere in New York City. Suburbia I miss sometimes... Wal Mart comes in handy. Anyway I had to order one off the net so he'll have dull teeth for about a week still.

Still not reply from Hot Toys about my broken Peg. They have until Friday until I pester them with another email...

Well said, Dave, I agree. Now just convince the other 6 people in this thread that can't handle it. Where is the photo of the A L I E N sucking it's thumb. Biggest thumb suck in A L I E N thread history, right here, right now. :D

It's just their opinion, not fact. Everyone sees things differently and there is no standard. What they want is an FX head on a stand and about 10 different heads expressing different emotions. :lol

Whoa, wait a minute... it is fact that the HT alien has made up detailing on legs and arms. It is fact that the skull is placed way back in the HT sculpt in comparison to all the props. It is fact that the back tubes on the HT alien have female genitalia whereas Giger's sculpt doesn't. It is fact that it has too many teeth.
We're not making this up. There's enough pictures all over the place so you can see for yourself.
Whether those inaccuracies or artistic interpretations bother anyone or not is a different matter and one that can and should be discussed, but to say it's just an opinion is plain wrong.
It's an opinion that some of us don't like some of the liberties taken with the sculpt, and it's an opinion that to some others this is the best alien figure out there.
What is not debatable is that the figure has lots of things wrong with it from an accuracy stand-point.

Now let's see more pics guys!
I'm still debating over having this one shipped right away or not!

We could always use -- and love -- more pics of this guy. Please post 'em if you got 'em.

Mine's just arrived, so here are some quick shots. This is my sixth HT alien and IMO the best looking. A nice air of menace! Have to say though that the wrists seem very loose.

DSC_2202.jpg
DSC_2203.jpg
DSC_2204.jpg

DSC_2209.jpg

DSC_2210.jpg

Whoa, wait a minute... it is fact that the HT alien has made up detailing on legs and arms. It is fact that the skull is placed way back in the HT sculpt in comparison to all the props. It is fact that the back tubes on the HT alien have female genitalia whereas Giger's sculpt doesn't. It is fact that it has too many teeth.
We're not making this up. There's enough pictures all over the place so you can see for yourself.
Whether those inaccuracies or artistic interpretations bother anyone or not is a different matter and one that can and should be discussed, but to say it's just an opinion is plain wrong.
It's an opinion that some of us don't like some of the liberties taken with the sculpt, and it's an opinion that to some others this is the best alien figure out there.
What is not debatable is that the figure has lots of things wrong with it from an accuracy stand-point.

Sorry, but that's opinion, not fact. I don't know the source of those photos and many could be from people that have made replica suits and the like. How do we know where the photos come from when there is no source mentioned. There isn't enough official confirmed material showing the details of the movie suits to decide one way or the other about the small details, it's a matter of photo interpretation and angle of perspective etc. You do understand that a photo can show details that aren't there or are exaggerated because of editing, light and shade etc. The lighting director plays a big part in how the onscreen ALIEN appears.

No sharp CGI images showing every minute detail back then. No high res official photo books have been release that show all the ALIENS used in the film to compare it with and I'm not going to take the photos posted over and over again in this thread as 100% proof of anything. Alleged photos of hero and stunt suits used in the movie shouldn't be used in a debate as fact, that high school stuff.

Like I said, what you would probably like is an FX head on a stand and about 10 different heads expressing different emotions. The ALIEN can express a wide array of facial expressions, there isn't really one iconic facial look to model it on. None of Sabres ALIEN stuff looks the same, he has a hundred different version of the ALIEN. One day we will get an official book that has hundreds of photos of the suits used in the film, one day

A few mm here and there doesn't bother me. :dunno

The ALIEN can express a wide array of facial expressions, there isn't really one iconic facial look to model it on.

My problem with the HT figure is its face doesn't capture a single one of the 'expressions' I recall from the film. Its totally generic. This is not a good thing IMO and it stopped me from buying this figure.

That's a good reason not to buy it if that's what you see. I have the figure sitting in front of me when I watched the movie today and it looks pretty much spot on to me, as good as can be expected.

That's a good reason not to buy it if that's what you see. I have the figure sitting in front of me when I watched the movie today and it looks pretty much spot on to me, as good as can be expected.

You need to get yourself a new pair of glasses.

Not much to say in all this debate. I hate seeing those broken ones. Mine came in, a day or two ago, in great shape. It is one of the last figures I am gonna get for a long time, and means a lot to me personally, hell, the Alien is the first real figure I ever got, (the Kenner and the old MPC kit) so this represents thirty years of collecting to me. I do have opinions about the figure, and have kept them to myself for a long time now.

I have read the spirited "conversations" and have to side with Goforindian. Good on you pal! I agree.
I LOVE, and let me say this clearly, LOVE my Hot Toys Big Chap. It took me GREAT pains to get, during tough times, and not without a lot of sacrifice, so I must reiterate, it represents more to me than it could to many of you.
That having been said, I have mine, it's fine, I did readjust the mouth a bit, ten minute transfer of tongue (from a MadFarlane Alien) and a hit with a Krylon silver leafing pen on the teeth, some washes of color, not much, a trim here or there, and done. EASY fixes all. Therefore, I say, the figure as is, is amazing. I was breathless opening the box. And pretty darned grateful also.

Here are the pics of mine, posed with my now FINALLY completed Ripley, which I have worked on for nearly four years...(she needed hair is all...this figure put that fire into me..and no, I am not making them...she is not for sale at any price...but I will share the recipe anytime...) so enjoy one of these, in one very grateful person's collection.

AD021.jpg

AD024.jpg

AD025.jpg

AD026.jpg

And in the collection

AD027.jpg

AD028.jpg

Hope these pics help any of you on the fence. I think this figure RULES!!!! Totally! GET ONE! And if you don't want it, don't. Your loss, not mine. :rock

How cool is Jonesy! I wish that Hot Toys made him in the space cat carrier and included it with the fig.

Ok guys, there is a lot of strong passion on both sides of the fence with this figure, and there's really no tearing down that fence either.

Let's just try to focus commentary on the figure, for better or worse, criticism or praise.

The pissing contest as to who is more right or wrong for their opinion has been going on for a long time, gotten nowhere, just keeps spinning around and around with no change on either side, and all it's really doing is turning a thread about a figure into the most looked down upon thread at this site because of all this fighting.

Let's just talk about the figure and whatever people's opinions are, leave them be for having it, counter it with you own opinion on the figure, but let's end the attacking each other for having a certain point of view.

I have the figure sitting in front of me when I watched the movie today and it looks pretty much spot on to me, as good as can be expected.

I think someone is trying to justify the dent in their bank balance. Which is understandable, I do it all the time.

It's ok to enjoy your figure, in fact I'm envious when people enjoy something that I cannot. But to question the veracity of abake's info isn't on. A lot of those photos are actually official source material, coming as they do from the Quadrilogy DVD, or in my case from the official Alien Movie book showing stills from the film. The facts are there mate, whether you like them or not, the only "opinion" here is whether you still like the figure, despite the undeniable fact that it's inaccurate.

I wish I liked the figure.

The pissing contest as to who is more right or wrong for their opinion has been going on for a long time, gotten nowhere, just keeps spinning around and around with no change on either side, and all it's really doing is turning a thread about a figure into the most looked down upon thread at this site because of all this fighting.

haven't been following this thread in a while... u mean there are people who're STILL whining on and on about this figure? :rotfl

how mature :D

Oh I have no issue with the figure any more. The only reason I pop in here and give my opinions is because some people have decided to be stubborn and not accept the truth.

And no, for those who are ready to jump on me, the truth isnt it sucks. It's just not accurate. And thats fine. Some people dont mind. Good on you!

Ok guys, there is a lot of strong passion on both sides of the fence with this figure, and there's really no tearing down that fence either.

Let's just try to focus commentary on the figure, for better or worse, criticism or praise.

Let's just talk about the figure and whatever people's opinions are, leave them be for having it, counter it with you own opinion on the figure, but let's end the attacking each other for having a certain point of view.

Funny thing is, it had actually settled down almost completely.

And was really just several people discussing it and posting pics to support either side of those views.

It was actually fun and informative.

Then you get one noob that comes in here and starts right back into it. :rolleyes:

What a weird ignorant thing to say, that's got nothing to do with it. What offical Alien Movie Book?

Scott chose not to show the Alien in full through most of the film, showing only pieces of it while keeping most of its body in shadow in order to heighten the sense of terror and suspense. The audience could thus project their own fears into imagining what the rest of the creature might look like: "Every movement is going to be very slow, very graceful, and the Alien will alter shape so you never really know exactly what he looks like." The Alien has been referred to as "one of the most iconic movie monsters in film history" in the decades since the film's release, being noted for its biomechanical appearance and sexual overtones. Roger Ebert has remarked that "Alien uses a tricky device to keep the alien fresh throughout the movie: It evolves the nature and appearance of the creature, so we never know quite what it looks like or what it can do...The first time we get a good look at the alien, as it bursts from the chest of poor Kane (John Hurt). It is unmistakably phallic in shape, and the critic Tim Dirks mentions its 'open, dripping ______l mouth.

There is no single look for the movie A L I E N.

What a weird ignorant thing to say, that's got nothing to do with it...

Exactly my point of my post above. :rolleyes:

There's no point in calling anyone's opinion "weird and ignorant".
It's their opinion and they're allowed to share it here whether you like it or not.

Or, did you not bother to read MaulFan's post?

Why don't you try doing what some of us have done and post some pics in support of your view?

Speaking of which you can't even open the mouth because the rubber tendons will break. You can't bend the legs more than 15 degrees or the rubber bodysuit will tear. Big Chap is one big steaming pile of Big Crap. :lol

Yes, they didnt show much of the Alien in the film. But yet....the one piece of the creature they did show, in full glory...they got wrong. So very very wrong.

And seriously, you're arguing weather or not the pictures are real? Most of them are from the Alien Quadrilogy, pictures from 1979, when they were shooting the movie. How can that not be good refrence?

Back