Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the Tsukuda, which is basically the same thing.
Tsukuda and Halcyon used the same molds.

I think the tongue on the Halcyon is sculpted in though.

I know the Tsukuda version's tongue comes out, but I don't think that's the case with the old Halcyon,

S.jpg

Yep, same one. OK in its day. I haven't set eyes on it for 10 years. :lol

The tongue slides in and out on the Halcyon too. No lever, just pulls out loosely and you can set it whereever you like like below.

Actually, the old Halcyon tongue might be a good replacement for the HT tongue though. Looks pretty accurate.

alien.jpg

Yeah, Tsukuda and Halcyon used the old Kenner figure to make their molds.

And it cool to hear that the tongue moves on the Halcyon.
It really does look like it would work as a replacement as well.

Yep, same one. OK in its day. I haven't set eyes on it for 10 years. :lol

The tongue slides in and out on the Halcyon too. No lever, just pulls out loosely and you can set it whereever you like like below.

Actually, the old Halcyon tongue might be a good replacement for the HT tongue though. Looks pretty accurate.

The only other 1/6th scale Alien kits I have are the original MPC plastic model that came out in conjunction with the original film and some garage kit resin model I got in 1993-4... not the Alien Pile kit but one more based on the actual alien, crouched, not sure what it was called, Yellow Pearl I think.

EDIT:

Yeah, its "Yellow Pearl" Alien by Jeff H. Johnson, 1992. No pic online.

Last edited:
I had the Tsukuda for a while, but it was a poor replacement for the Kenner Alien I really wanted, so I sold it on.

I really love the new Hellpainter head, so it is entirely possible to sculpt something that satisfies both casual fans and those who really know what the prop and film close ups looked like. Alas, my Medicom is 12" tall, the HT is 16", and the Hellpainter falls in the middle at 14.5". Still, it might just work...

Last edited:
I'd love to see comparison pics between this and the Cinemaquette.

Here you go Dave.

Hope these are helpful.
The Cinemaquette is not an easy beast to take pics of.

100_0610-horza.jpg

100_0596-horz.jpg

100_0599-horz.jpg

100_0601-horz.jpg

100_0600-horz.jpg

100_0602-horz.jpg

100_0594a-horz.jpg

The only other 1/6th scale Alien kits I have are the original MPC plastic model that came out in conjunction with the original film and some garage kit resin model I got in 1993-4... not the Alien Pile kit but one more based on the actual alien, crouched, not sure what it was called, Yellow Pearl I think.

EDIT:

Yeah, its "Yellow Pearl" Alien by Jeff H. Johnson, 1992. No pic online.

Here's my Yellow Pearl Alien...

aaaa.jpg

Thank you.I understand that the Cinemaquette is one of the highest prized Alien replicas and your excellent pictures have enabled me for the first time to see exactly what the purists were so upset about.I see now there are considerable differences.Interesting!

Another thing that really bugs me about the Hot Toys version is the tongue.

They really did take liberties with that.
And that is something we got a damn good look at in the shuttle.

4127508973_919420d1ab_o.jpg

4127509171_c6e36400d8_o.jpg

4128281208_b6dde91907_o.jpg

alientongue2.jpg

Alien_-_The_Creatures_Articulated_H.jpg

100_0978.jpg

I don't see what the big problem with the tongue is on the HT version. The only thing I see wrong is that it is upside down on the HT figure pictured.

Yeah, the tongue is definitely a very weak spot on the figure... too small and of course not white.

Love what you did with the figure Les!!! Swapping out the inner tongue and other tweaks really makes a huge difference. And your Ripley is awesome... really a beautiful looking figure :lecture

AD021.jpg

I don't see what the big problem with the tongue is on the HT version. The only thing I see wrong is that it is upside down on the HT figure pictured.

Is this a wind up?

It's the wrong colour, the wrong size, and it's upside down. It's hard to see what else they could have got wrong!

Edit: Oh, and now I look again, the detailing on the side of it is wrong too!

cinemaquette looks like crap! It reminds me of the avatar alien, super skinny with huge heads, hate the pose too. Totally not meaning to be disrespectful, as i know they are super expensive. But I think HT destroys it. Their head looks off too tho no? But the mouth does look more accurate as does the color of the head being deeper black.

It's not to my tastes either. The front view of the face is indeed pretty good though.

I've been castigated on one or two forums for criticizing the Cinemaquette Alien, but those pics by Sabres make my point very well: it looks nothing like the creature seen in the film: the head is way too large, the body is too skinny and emaciated, and the pose looks like a dance move. On top of that, the detailing in the paint job ranges from minimal to lousy. A severe disappointment on all counts (especially given that Giger himself signed off on it), and persistently overrated by collectors. By no means the definitive Alien collectible. We can only hope that Sideshow manage to get it right with a 1/4 scale Maquette.

Back