Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
::shrug:: the teeth are a little short... no big deal to me. It otherwise looks really close to accurate to me. I might even fix the teeth myself. Should be a pretty easy fix.

Normally I understand the complaints about inaccuracy. They're often things I don't care about but I get them. In this case If we're talking about the final in-hand Alien I don't see what's so horribly inaccurate about it. It just baffles me. Is it the tongue/inner jaw? I will agree that's wrong at least in color and perhaps even in scale (too small).

When compared side by side with the Medicom I don't see how the Medicom is so much more accurate. The only differences I see are scale, paint work, and slightly more accurate teeth shapes on the Medicom. The back "mollars" aren't quiet right on the Hot Toys.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/fo...on-ht-big-chap-medicom-rah-alien-img_5145.jpg

None of these seem like the order-cancelling horrible how could they have possibly screwed up so badly inaccuracies it seems some people see. I just don't get it. I was totally on board with some of the ?????ing until I saw the in-hand pics which look pretty damn amazing. They fixed all the major issues from the first prototype and even from the second prototype the dome looks more correct to me as do the sort of lip area.

The Medi-alien is way more accurate than the HT figure, not only because of the mouth/teeth/face, but also in lots of small details in the body in general. The legs and arms on the HT figure have many made-up details while lacking many other features of the original suit/sculpture. The NECA figure is also very accurate. I'm sure that if you look at the figures closely you will see the many differences. Look at the legs for instance, especially the lower legs.

Are they worth canceling the figure over? I don't know, it depends on your very own personal taste. I plan on getting one when it's on sale, but to me it's still disappointing.

Last batch of pics are great guys, keep 'em coming!

Well I guess for me both the Medicom and Neca just simply aren't visually appealing. Accuracy aside both have paint work that is very distracting to me. The Hot Toys figure might be inaccurate but their inaccuracies that I can't see without a lot of work and research and as a whole package it's much more appealing visually. The slight gaffs in accuracy are easily forgivable to me especially since I would never notice them.

To give you an idea of my tastes easily my favorite alien piece around is the Alien pile and those aliens aren't even close to accurate to any film but it's a damn cool looking statue.

The Medicon isn't totally without made up detail itself. The most obvious example being the cord around the edge of the dome.

Last edited:
...The Medicon isn't totally without made up detail itself. The most obvious example being the cord around the edge of the dome.

Actually, you are incorrect.

The Alien does have that cord around the edge of the dome.

aliensuit1.jpg

I love my Medicom Alien, but it's not perfect. It is however, more like the Alien we saw on screen, and that's what counts to me.

I dunno guys, maybe Giger's Alien will always be a tough one for toy companies to nail. There still isn't a definitive version, and even then the differences in the suits used on screen, personal preference over skull visibility etc, will mean that no-one is ever truly happy.

But then you see that Custom Marmit, and you realise it is actually possible. It's just a pain that I can't walk into a shop and buy an articulated version of that!

As I said, to me the most glaring defect on the Medicom, as a stand alone figure, is the paint apps...
I do hope Kyle and NECA will revisit their alien and offer it in 1/6 scale. That would make me very happy.

The customized Marmit is fantastic, I too wish one could get that articulated in 1/6 scale!

Well, mine is on its way to me from Sideshow. I'm gonna close the mouth and paint the teeth a brighter silver and I'll be happy with it. :rock

Damn, I got the Power Loader shipped rather than this, but maybe they will get my big chap out today and I'll still have him for Christmas. Can't complain about getting the PL tomorrow though. But I do want my Alien.

I dunno guys, maybe Giger's Alien will always be a tough one for toy companies to nail. There still isn't a definitive version, and even then the differences in the suits used on screen, personal preference over skull visibility etc, will mean that no-one is ever truly happy.

I don't think it would have been an impossibility to make an alien with a face that is accurate to at least one of its expressions - lip sheath covering teeth, sheath in process of pulling back, sheath fully pulled back with clamped teeth exposed, mouth beginning to open with inner jaw visible behind, mouth wide open with inner jaw preparing to strike, mouth wide open with inner jaw extended etc etc etc.
Perhaps Hot Toys would have needed to do away with the opening and closing mouth gimmick but I'd prefer that and for them to have maybe 3 sculpted 'preposed' faces that can swapped out. Instead we have a headsculpt that doesn't closely enough resemble any of the Alien's facial stages. So it just doesn't feel like the Alien to me and ends up being rather generic.

Speaking for myself, I could be happy with a Giger Alien attempt if whoever sculpts it would keep in mind whats important. I think Tankman, from what he says here, is the guy to do that. He's critical of his own work, sees where it could be improved and I think hes campaigning at NECA to be allowed to do it.

If Tankman could get them to bite on releasing a 1:6 Alien (1:6 NOT 12"), I know I would but AT LEAST three. Maybe we could arm him with statistics showing that they would SURELY sell....

I'm bored with some rare free time, so I snapped off a couple quick pics to stimulate some more interesting and thoughtful discussion... ;)

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0003.jpg

LOVE those last pics, Karnis!!! THanks!!!!

I feel like Charlie Brown here, "Good Grief!"

I'm with you, Dave. I have been a fan of this ALIEN since I saw it on the screen in 1979, in Atlanta, on a rainy night, and came home blown away. Copying Giger's art style as an 18 year old, helped me to learn better shading and how to do more detail in my pencil art. So, that being said, I can say I have studied this alien form in detail since.
This HT ALIEN may or may not be THE ultimate ALIEN figure, but I am not sure that is possible anymore. Plus, in some ways, it seems to me that there are different mental views of it from every person that sees it. I do know that the NECA is a fantastic sculpt and seems to capture something inately Giger about it. The Medicom, which I didn't get for scale issue reasons, is too clean, but is a nice version to be sure. Paint would solve it of course.

But, I kinda like this new Hot Toys rendition. It is not HORRIBLE, and is PRETTY CLOSE, to me. Not that I know anything or not. Not trying to be flip or know it all, just I think it looks pretty darned cool. To me.
And, any glaring head inaccuracies can be easily remedied in my mind. In fact, I fancy that kind of thing. I had to rework that old original model kit WAY back in 79 as well as some work on the old classic Kenner, so I remember when Alien repros looked pretty far from the source. Anyone that knows me knows I take most Aliens I get and rework them a lot. My MacFarlanes large and small are all repainted and reworked.

Now, if in hand, I say, YIKES! THIS SUCKS! Well, then I do, but I don't think I will. And, I can and will rework and repaint mine. And, rework the teeth, which I cannot wait to do, and, turn that inner tongue tip over, so the lower jaw of it is longer, might even close it completely, and let the inner teeth show in the gap of the outer teeth, as he looks a lot of times....love that look!

Whatever happens, I will enjoy having it.

I don't blast those that want a better one, but I think going on and on about it is a bit late now. It's what it is. Not what it could have been.

I choose to be happy with mine. It's a choice. If you get it, do as I plan to do, and have fun fixing it! I can't wait to. I will enjoy having mine. And I for one will be grateful.

Didn't mean to start anything. And from those great pics from Karnis - it does look like the mouth should be more open. But I assume there's a spring on it so the tongue can come out? That feature necessitates some compromises in how the jaw is built I'd imagine.

Back