Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's face it people and you hot toys. This is the alien we want . Check out this picture . This would be heaven.

alienmoviemonster068890.jpg

Mod Note:
To place images in a post, you have to put
at the end of the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lower right of your post, there is a button called edit.

Anyway, you need the tags.

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9246/alienmoviemonster068890.jpg

If they'd made it look like the film we'd have a much freakier, sinister looking creature...and therefore cooler. What they've made looks unintentionally funny.

Oh, they've seen it... I sent them a bunch of pics and references when they announced they had the license to all the Alien films. They answered very kindly and said they would forward my suggestions and pics to their R&D department.
Fat lot of good that did...

If its true that they used the likes of the McFarlane figure as referance, which granted it may not be, how ridiculous. Better to use actual film stills no? Better and more logically that than possibly repeating all the mistakes of someone else work? Surely Hot Toys should be above taking their cues from another company's toys.

Amazing as it may seem, yeah... the McF looks more accurate than this one.

Granted, the fact that the McF alien can be seen on Tsang's desk while he's working on the HT alien means nothing by itself, Kyle also had the McF around while sculpting NECA's. The thing is, Kyle also had Giger's Alien Book on his table and he went to see one of the suits used in the film in person, as well as asking on different forums (fora, actually) for reference pics.
But the extra teeth and the shape of the tail on the HT alien are very similar to McF's effort, as well as a lot of the extra detailing on legs and arms, so that leads me to believe that Tsang did use the McF as reference for his sculpt. Sad really.

So what do we do ? Buy the figure and show interest and proffet. Then they go version 2 for the fans. Or take the money and run. Or don't buy. Then they try again or forget the licence all together.I wish we new what there intent was.

What you do is either buy this figure as is or don't. While HT is notorious for putting out better versions of figures, I think with ALIENS, it's safe to say, the version they put out from each film is all you'll get, they did Grid from AVP but I think that's unique enough, and a horrid repaind of ALIENS, but that wasn't an improved second release, just a repaint, and just the one Alien 3 and AVPR. HT takes one swing of the bat with Aliens and whatever sort of hit they get, they settle for it, they don't step up to the plate again to try and best it. They've had several Alien figures and enough available reference material to have done the best they could with this figure, they even published in their newsletter that they felt it was the best Giger Alien figure you could get, so if they didn't do more with this one than they did, I think it's safe to say that's it, they're not going back and improving this, they had a chance to do it right and didn't.

Thankfully, HT seems to only do the updated versions of figures for new movies where the first one is rushed to be out for film release and they don't have all the reference and facts they need to make a solid figure the first go around. Anything based on older properties, it's one and done with them.

I agree with Maul.

This will be the only version of this figure you're going to see.

Get it now or don't...there won't be another version.

I'm getting Medicom's and NECA's. :D

I never liked those, because I strove for perfection...but those small, mundaine details are nonexistant after this.....thing.

I've considered getting NECAs 18inch but, cool as I'm sure it is, that scale is no good to me. I'll have to make do with the 7" and its poor QC (arm broke off at elbow). Incidentally, the guys saying that we're slagging the HT figure off because we can't afford it were right in the sense that money is a consideration. However the only reason money is a consideration for me is that the figure has turned out well below my expectations and thus I don't think its worth the money. If this figure had resembled the creature in the film I'd have bought it even if it meant selling a kidney.

I went to the Weekend of Heroes show in Los Angeles yesterday and there was a Hot Toys booth with the Alien Big Chap figure on display. It looked exactly as pictured in this thread and somewhat disappointing, to be honest. I was VERY excited about this figure when I heard about it, but it seems the Medicom one looks more accurate (I'm not that familiar with these figures, I just really started getting into them- but I THINK it's the Medicom one that I've seen photos of that's very accurate and clean- but sadly Medicom's is too short for 1/6 scale).

This Hot Toys one just looks sloppy in person. I asked if it was a prototype and they said no, it was a test shot (or wording similar).

Sean

I've considered getting NECAs 18inch but, cool as I'm sure it is, that scale is no good to me. I'll have to make do with the 7" and its poor QC (arm broke off at elbow). Incidentally, the guys saying that we're slagging the HT figure off because we can't afford it were right in the sense that money is a consideration. However the only reason money is a consideration for me is that the figure has turned out well below my expectations and thus I don't think its worth the money. If this figure had resembled the creature in the film I'd have bought it even if it meant selling a kidney.

You can't beat 40 dollars and for 150 I've said it before and I'll say it again HT Alien should look very close to what was seen in the movie. In the last two years since I sculpted the NECA Alien there really isn't any reason to not make the figure accurate. I will say it takes FOREVER to sculpt and near the end I had to cut a few corners on mine just to finish it. Maybe we will make one 1 6th scale one day and I'd love a chance to improve ours in a few areas. Don't get me wrong I love our figure but I want a perfect Alien figure and think we can put one out. HT can and should be better. It's really cool but 150 dollar figure needs the treatment Ironman gets.

Improve the head. The dome specificly. Thats the only issue I have with it. But its not even noticible compared to....ew.

Improve the head. The dome specificly. Thats the only issue I have with it. But its not even noticible compared to....ew.

China had a lot to do with it. The jaw drives me more crazy than the dome and the dome looks dead on from the front. I would love to see it painted better too. Even with the dome issues the body and all the other details are way more accurate than the HT figure. Man what could have been with all the articulation and all. If we did make ours 1, 6th I would like to do something different with the lips many just to change it for the fun of it. I always like the mouth just starting to open look. That would be sweet.

I always like the mouth just starting to open look. That would be sweet.

You mean that moment where they just start pulling back and almost vibrate as they do? I think that's one of the great parts of the mouth shots, that small vibration is freaky and just makes you more worried than simply having the mouth open.

Back