Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's one of the most accurate ones out there.
when you compare - don't think, better look.
thinking is for ideas.
if you want to see - just look. get some photos of movie alien, there are plenty of in this thread.
look at the stomach first. see how detailed is movie suit or museum models. see how low-detailed is medicom alien.

hell, what am i posting? i try to convince a buyer that he bought crap. i'm stupid :)

Hoping that HT keeps working on theirs. They sure seem to be listening.
though they should be looking.

Obviously a 12" tall figure isn't going to be as detailed as the original suit.

But it is more detailed (and accurate) than any other Alien toy currently released.

And that's why I like it.

Ok, you think the medicom is crap, I get it.

It's no marmit, but it's close in figure form, and yes, I can look at the ref photos and also compare it to my 99 marmits. Some details soft, but It's still closer than most of the figures out there.

What's the most accurate figure in your opinion? The neca? Also very nice.
Or are none worth having to you since they're all inaccurate?

What does "soft" mean? Do you mean it is missing specific detailing that is there on other figures? Or simply that some of the detailing is an approximation?

The only specific area I can think of is that it's missing the teeth on the ox jaw heels.

No, by soft I mean the detail is not a "crisp", not as sharp in the way it is sculpted.

Compare this:
DSC01098.jpg

To this:
DSCN4270.jpg

Not the best of pics, but you can tell that the details on the sculpt of the NECA figure are sharper.

Those comparisons are of two totally different materials...
you can't get the same details on "soft" vs. "hard" plastics...

Yeah, I thought so too, but Hot Toys has some pretty crisp detail on their A3 dragon.
Still, the material must have some influence, Medicom's figure uses a different type of material, not rubbery like Hot Toys' at all.

All this talk of the Medicom is driving me nuts. White Wizard has them, but won't return my emails and I cannot check out on their site. Does anybody know if they have gone under? Just wondering. I really want to pick one of these up.

I would imagine the quality of detailing you get in rubber is relative to the detailing you put into the mold, you probably have to go above and beyond hard material sculpting to get it to come out normal in production.

Most Hot Toys human portraits have very extreme skin texturing in prototype in order for the production piece to come out with the correct level.

I would imagine Medicom just sculpted the Alien for the mold and didn't compensate for production loss of sharpness in the details. Hot Toys has been doing these for some time and I'm sure they're well aware what they need to do to make the details sharp and pop in production.

All this talk of the Medicom is driving me nuts. White Wizard has them, but won't return my emails and I cannot check out on their site. Does anybody know if they have gone under? Just wondering. I really want to pick one of these up.

There's quite a few in ebay, you might want to try there.

No, by soft I mean the detail is not a "crisp", not as sharp in the way it is sculpted.

Not the best of pics, but you can tell that the details on the sculpt of the NECA figure are sharper.

I really don't agree. I think the details are neater and more precise on the Medicom, and I've owned both. The NECA looks roughly made and the detail looks imprecise.

A fairer representation of the Medicom's level of detail is this HD vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOwkeO3ljc

One of the things that struck me about it when I got it in hand was actually how sharply tooled the detailing is. So I completely disagree.

A fairer representation of the Medicom's level of detail is this HD vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOwkeO3ljc
it looks like T-1000 in metal form.

but the head is excellent. maybe the first one among other figures. pity it's so small.

p.s. it seemed to be a lot more detailed on promo photos. real product was sad.

med-alien_02.jpg

but hell, how close this head is to a movie variant. maybe not close enough, but after uglies from neca and ht it seems perfect.

Last edited:
p.s. it seemed to be a lot more detailed on promo photos. real product was sad.

Absolute nonsense. It looks the same as that promo shot in-hand, and even if it isn't it's hardly "sad" in comparison. That's just a very well lit, hi-res picture.

No figure is perfect. But the Medicom is the closest "toy" representation there is.

Absolute nonsense.
"opinions are like asses: everyone has one, and they all stink" (c)

p.s. i waited for HT alien very much. it appeared to be crap. i would purchase medicom if it was the same size as HT predators because i agree, it is the closest HEAD representation. body is awful.

It's not an opinion. I have the figure, I have the photo. The detailing is the same.

How is the body "awful". Go on, amaze me.

I would get the Medicom version if it wasn't so damn small. I was just thinking last night about selling what few Medi figures I have. They are so different from my Sideshow and Hot Toys figures. They just don't work together in a display.

I ordered a Sideshow Stormtrooper from White Wizard about 3 weeks ago. Got him in about a week, no problems.

I was pondering how many versios of the Alien there are, and why Hot Toys wouldn't have gone full on accurate. Maybe their reasoning was that we would want something a little different looking instead of the same old Alien.

The only problem with that if that is what they thought is that we were waiting for the all encompassing perfect 1/6 version which nobody has done yet.

I would get the Medicom version if it wasn't so damn small. I was just thinking last night about selling what few Medi figures I have. They are so different from my Sideshow and Hot Toys figures. They just don't work together in a display.

Display it somewhere else?

There are just so many cool figures around that I'd hate to restrict myself to one size. What are we collecting, cool figures, or figures of a certain size? How could you deny yourself the 22" NECA, or the 5" Revoltech Alien? It just seems to miss the point of why we are all doing this.

Back