Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I found the Krylon brand and I love the way it improved the figure instantly. I am a big fan of quick and easy upgrades. The figure is still off but this helps.

I agree 100% its a quick lil upgrade that makes a difference. I was also amazed by the paint. It REALLY looks like a chrome finish, not silver paint.

I agree 100% its a quick lil upgrade that makes a difference. I was also amazed by the paint. It REALLY looks like a chrome finish, not silver paint.

I also liked that it dried really fast. I was switching brushes to put detail in-between the teeth and it was already dry. :mexwave

Did you do a blackwash or something?

No, I wanted to keep the chrome look, so I took a really fine brush and went in-between each tooth and brushed the edges. I wanted to give the teeth some separation. I am not the best painter but I think it came out pretty good, I just took my time.

Reiny, did you get yours yet? Any pics? Any thoughts?

Hey Paul. Good to hear from you bro. Yup, got mine. Pics will be a while unfortunately (my new son is taking up all my free time! LOL). But I LOVE him. Every day I look at him I like him more and more. The guy is huge and backdrop does so much to elevate the figure to collectible status. I'm going to do the Krylon treatment hopefully sooner than later.

No, I wanted to keep the chrome look, so I took a really fine brush and went in-between each tooth and brushed the edges. I wanted to give the teeth some separation. I am not the best painter but I think it came out pretty good, I just took my time.

Good deal. Did you simply use black paint?

Good deal. Did you simply use black paint?[/QUOTE]

Nope, I used an acrylic paint, pure black and a brown and mixed it together until I got a dark rusty color. I feel that just black is just to extreme and I liked the rust color Big Chap. I also painted the finger and toe nails. I really liked the way it came out.

Hey Paul. Good to hear from you bro. Yup, got mine. Pics will be a while unfortunately (my new son is taking up all my free time! LOL). But I LOVE him. Every day I look at him I like him more and more. The guy is huge and backdrop does so much to elevate the figure to collectible status.

Funny, because I am this close to jumping off the fence. The Big question for me to decide is whether I'd rather have it than not, believing this is the Only one will see from HT.

And also, having dome and mouth issues with this, can I get away with posing him with his head down and being able to live with that.

What's making me lean towards getting him now is what you Guys are saying -- knowing all this, having it in hand, and still feeling it's a cool figure. Especially you Reiny, we go back to Ed 209 when you first joined the board, so your word is THAT solid with me.

So I'm still torn over this but if I can get it a reasonable price (130 shipped is my number) I may jump. :cool:

Well Pjam... personally I got one only to complete my HT alien collection. (missing are the Newborn and Queen)
It's nice to see all of them lined up.

However, if you passed on a few before (like the Dog), then I don't think you should feel pressured to get one. Often times I notice people buy stuff on here, and sell it just a few months later. Maybe it's because others say they like it, so they feel like they should as well. My point is.... I respect the opinions of others here too, but only buy it if YOU want it.

It's a nice figure, but I don't believe it's a "must have".
So, if you have the spare cash....go for it. But again; as an avid alien collector, I wouldn't recommend you choose this figure at the expense of another.

Mother
pic024-2.jpg

Father
newpics024.jpg

Son
2010008.jpg

2010014.jpg

:D :D

Last edited:
I found the rubber suit on the Nostromo crew space suit to be massively disappointing.

Still waiting to see somebody paint one of those suits white and make Lucky Star Ripley.

Why was the suit disappointing, I thought it looked fine.

Because it's rubber and not a cloth suit. It's not that complicated. It ends up looking like a regular action figure instead of a 1/6 scale doll/whatever. The rubber suit doesn't bother me on the alien since that's what the real thing was but to do a fabric space suit as sculpted bit of rubber is lame. I said so at the time... but we're getting a bit off topic here.

What's making me lean towards getting him now is what you Guys are saying -- knowing all this, having it in hand, and still feeling it's a cool figure. Especially you Reiny, we go back to Ed 209 when you first joined the board, so your word is THAT solid with me.

Thanks brother!! Means A LOT.

Just know that I'm not as worried about him being completely screen accurate. So if you are looking for a cool artistic rendition of the Alien then you will like him, but if you want something very accurate, then you will be disappointed.

For me I've just wanted a really high quality Giger collectible for a long time and not being much of a statue person haven't had much out there. I know people will argue with me on this point, but regardless of accuracy issue it looks like the work of Giger and that's the most important thing to me. and of course I wouldn't be able to spot the inaccuracies without them being pointed out to me.

Back