Hot Toys Jp - ASK Magazine - Vol. 6 (Vol.5 on pg 3, post 27)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighthsamurai

Super Freak
Reaction score
https://www.hottoys.jp/magazine/ask/

Interesting ____ from this issue:

1. The question was whether HT ever quit on something they've previously announced (sound familiar??). HT answers that it's rare but it sometimes happens due to things not going well with the licensor, the actor, their schedule, or previously released items in the line not going well.

2. Question asks whether HT would ever produce figures from "No Country for Old Men". The answer is they actually looked into it, but since unlicensed figures had already hit the market, they were unable to get approval. HT warn that if you choose to buy unlicensed products you may inadvertently prevent HT from getting the license (hmmmm...)

5. They have no plans to make figures from KICKASS at the moment.

6. Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal is still being released... look out for details soon.

10. No plans to make "Commando" Schwarzenegger. But HT laughs, saying it's a damn good choice, they have a lot of interest in it, and they may look into it.

a lot of ____ questions this week. the ones i didn't translate were about kojun's background, packaging, cosbaby packaging, and where someone can get a body for the cop joker outfit, followed by advertising for the truetype. some of these questions from "the public" look like they've been made up by HT to make a point this time round. especially the crap about unlicensed products, truetypes, and the licenses being cancelled thing. i have a strange feeling something's about to be cancelled....

Last edited:
Re: Hot Toys Jp - ASK Magazine - Vol. 6

Metal Gear won't be canceled, it's a huge popular licence whereas No Country For Old Men is fairly limited in terms of toy appeal to the point where yeah, unlicenced figures would have a much larger impact.

Metal Gear won't be canceled, it's a huge popular licence whereas No Country For Old Men is fairly limited in terms of toy appeal to the point where yeah, unlicenced figures would have a much larger impact.

I am holding my breath, mate.. Metal Gear Solid is indeed a hugely popular license, but an effort by NewSoulToys to release the Metal Boss line as a clear unlicensed Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker 1:6 line is a case that HT may be pointing out in that answer. :slap

bdu01.jpg

armor01.jpg

Surelyl, NewSoulToys didn't have the license to MGS, judging by how they played the words of the title of their first-ever toy line (Metal Boss). I just hope it's not MGS that they eventually cancel. They can very well cancel, since no proto pics have been released, only that they got the license. Just hope it's not MGS.. Been waiting for this for 4 years now. :gah:

Oh, by the way, Hot Toys.. I dare you to top Enterbay Real Masterpiece Rambo 4:

Can't wait for Enterbay's upcoming "Real Masterpiece":

141008cznnxox10vxvx0rr.jpg

:impatient:

Surelyl, NewSoulToys didn't have the license to MGS, judging by how they played the words of the title of their first-ever toy line (Metal Boss). I just hope it's not MGS that they eventually cancel. They can very well cancel, since no proto pics have been released, only that they got the license. Just hope it's not MGS.. Been waiting for this for 4 years now. :gah:

they imply it's hard to get the license after a bootleg has been on the market, but since they had the license before the figs you mention were announced, it's less likely they'll cancel i think. less likely, but still possible the license is revoked i guess.

[
2. Question asks whether HT would ever produce figures from "No Country for Old Men". The answer is they actually looked into it, but since unlicensed figures had already hit the market, they were unable to get approval. HT warn that if you choose to buy unlicensed products you may inadvertently prevent HT from getting the license (hmmmm...)

Where did this question even come from ?. :lol
Funnily enough out of all the figures I've ever owned, the most I've sold have been hot toys and I've kept a lot of the unlicensed stuff. Right now personally if I had to choose one side to keep releasing things it would be the unlicensed products since generally hot toys or the other bigger companies wouldn't dream of touching the licenses I'd be interested in seeing.

Am I supposed to let all these rare unlicensed figures sell out and miss them because hot toys apparently might be going to consider making the same character ?. :dunno

No thanks.

With this logic I think I'd have about 3 figures non of which are even close to being my favourite.

Where did this question even come from ?. :lol
Funnily enough out of all the figures I've ever owned, the most I've sold have been hot toys and I've kept a lot of the unlicensed stuff. Right now personally if I had to choose one side to keep releasing things it would be the unlicensed products since generally hot toys or the other bigger companies wouldn't dream of touching the licenses I'd be interested in seeing.

Am I supposed to let all these rare unlicensed figures sell out and miss them because hot toys apparently might be going to consider making the same character ?. :dunno

No thanks.

With this logic I think I'd have about 3 figures non of which are even close to being my favourite.

personally, i think that question is a load of bollocks, probably not even genuine. i doubt HT ever had plans to make figures from No Country, but they used it as an example to scaremonger. why would a company say "no" to a legit company to make figures, just coz bootlegs had appeared on the market? it doesn't make sense commercially. i can see why HT would want to discourage us from buying from small bootleg companies though. didn't HT themselves start out bootlegging figures? and look where they are now. i call BS on that answer.

Marketing strategy of Hot Toys. :)

Exactly mate ,I think that's a one off example they've mentioned really too if it's true ( which it probably isn't ).

Look at how many Leon rip off figures there have been and enterbay have just picked up the license , terminator unlicensed , alien unlicensed , just to mention a few. Things like that are all over ebay, all usually using similar names to the movie titles they're from just like most of the bootleg 1/6 figures you see.

They've been around for years from all different types of things that would usually require a license. Not only figures but statues , kits , everything. They can't expect to be the one company who comes along and says " STOP " and we all bow down and wait for them to consider the licenses first and not even tell us if they decide to forget it anyway. :rotfl

Last edited:

it's total nonsense... besides, what better way for a licensor to piss off bootleggers than to give figure rights to a legit company? look at the century toys joker... as soon as HT announced their plans, the value of that figure plummetted. i doubt century toys or anyone else will consider a v.3 now.

HT... you gone :cuckoo: if you think we'll believe anything you say. things changed the moment you TOOK AWAY MY RORSCHACH! the days of unconditional trust are OVER!!

Has anyone confirmed that T2/Rambo picture as 1/6? I know it says 'Real Masterpiece' but I'd like some clarification.

:lol at the Rorschach comment

I agree that this seems like BS, but who knows how licensors function? They might well lump all these "dollies" into the same category, and assume that folks who buy knock-offs are not gonna buy legit figures when released (which is apparently the Triad/Showtime fear with Dexter). But there's no way I'm gonna refrain from buying a legit Solid Snake just because some half-assed knock-off exists, even if I already owned the knock-off. And I suspect this is the case for the majority of collectors. We buy high end figures because we want real quality, and in 80-90% of cases, unlicensed figures are not even gonna approach HT quality.

I would assume that HT knows this, but if their answer is a BS attempt to try to keep folks from buying unlicensed figures b/c HT is afraid of the competition. . .I dunno, I guess I can't blame them if there is some perceived threat. Just like Triad, they pay for a license and want to reap the full benefits of that I guess. I also don't know the impact of unlicensed figures on the Asian market, though I'm pretty sure that my above comments apply to western markets for the most part. I think Hicks' preference for unlicensed figures most of the time is an extreme outlier case (folks who only collect Rainman figures, etc.) and really shouldn't register on HT's radar.

But whatever the case, I agree with the above comment--folks just aren't gonna stop buying a custom/unlicensed figure because there is some chance that HT may eventually decide to pursue it. Maybe, if HT sent out a list of licenses they were looking into, and asked folks to refrain from buying unlicensed characters from those licenses, but even then I'm not sure.

cosbaby packaging
You WILL translate this part. :mad:

I think that was just a really bold statement.
I've said it before but I prefered this forum when hot toys were making average products and not incredible. :lol

The 1/6 community has always been linked to customizing , improving and creating in some way regardless of if the character technically required a license or not and this king of the figure world attitude from hot toys just makes the hobby have a bad taste.

The amount of products pouring out for so many licenses nowadays from hot toys still makes people and small companies interested in trying a few things hot toys haven't attempted and now they want to stop that too !?.
Yeah right.

If unlicensed products were ever stopped I know for a fact it would make the hobby extremely boring for myslef and many others.

You've got enough money HT. :lecture

Until someone steps up and dethrones HT as the king of 1/6 I think they can say whatever they want. Having that attitude has put them where they are today, so more power to them.

Back