Hot Toys Jedi Starfighter w/ Anakin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems comparable to one of the many Batmoblies they've made thus far. Has a decent chance of getting made, will probably depend on retailers' feedback.

Howard Chan's personal toy that he deliberately brought to SDCC purely to show off, wont ever make it to mass production.

Seems comparable to one of the many Batmoblies they've made thus far. Has a decent chance of getting made, will probably depend on retailers' feedback.

It's been a while since they've made anything that big though. I'm trying to think what was the last thing, delorean? the bat?

They ain’t making this.

Why do you guys let Hot Toys **** with you? :lol

It's been a while since they've made anything that big though. I'm trying to think what was the last thing, delorean? the bat?
I think the DeLorean was the last vehicle they made. Someone mentioned Hulkbuster, but I feel like that's different given that it was an Iron Man release and that's the goose that keeps laying golden eggs for Hot Toys. They haven't done a vehicle in a while.

They did the Batpod and we were amazed. Then the Tumbler, 2 versions of it, both with LEDs and movable parts. Personally I could not believe it had been done in 1/6. Then the 1/12 Bat, no problem that it was in an entirely new scale for HT. No problem.

Well, the Tumbler and the Bat are more massive than this starfighter. This ship looks more imposing only because it is also huge in height due to the very tall vertical stabilizers (or whatever those are... damn beautifully nonsensical SW things...). But once these folded down, this vehicle would have the same display footprint as the Tumbler, only way less heavy and more sparse (you could put figures in the empty spaces around it).

But heck: who would want to display this beast on the landing pad???

Then came 2 more beasts: the 89 batmobile, and the Delorean. These 2 deserve special comment: no marketing support, just 2 old movies from the now remote 80s. Yet, they made them, with lots of LEDs, complicated shapes, movable parts and detailing..... The whole package. We were astounded. They even menaced with a bttf2 Delorean, which we are still waiting for..... :-(

Would any of you state that any of the above releases was a failure? I have no data, can only guess, but by the looks of it I'd say everything sold out, maybe even in a reasonable time, and now are rare pieces that very few want to get rid of, and if they do, it is for high prices.

As it has been said before, producing this starfighter might not be that expensive, considering HT's experience and technical prowess.
Sure, extensive paint operations would be needed, and concerning electronics... well, that would be more involved... many different lights and colours in the cockpit... difficult to do with 3 or 4 big white LEDs and a bunch of chips of coloured plastic, so (many) independent coloured LEDs would be needed. That wouldn't be particularly cheap to produce. But well: I think it wouldn't be much more difficult than doing the Tumbler was, and unlike it, this one could be shipped disassembled to save lots of space and shipping cost.

Yet, HT is not going to do it. They didn't do the MF cockpit, even if SSC even got to put it up on their site as an upcoming new product. It was all for naught. Same for a way smaller but equally nice item: Rey's bike (that one would have been such a top seller even for ST haters like me...).

So, what has actually happened to the bold Hot Toys? When did the bold Howard Chan give way to the conservative, unchallenged Howard Chan?
Or is it Chinese inflation?: would manufacturing these things (even Rey's landspeeder) be so expensive that they do not even dare to offer them? Not even feel the waters with a Kickstarter? Won't investing in more technology help reduce costs?
If only there was a channel to ask HT this kind of questions and get meaningful answers... The times I have tried via their Customer Support Service, it was useless.

BTW I am not forgetting the Hulkbuster, which finally arrived after several years of wait and struggle. The most complex 1/6 stunt ever pulled. But it is something else: HT did it only because it has constant marketing coverage by Disney/Marvel, and because Marvel, particularly Iron Man, is the best selling IP in 1/6. All those suits sell very well, no matter how many of them there are.

RfC
m.

If that's true, then I'll have to find someone else to make mine. I wonder if there's anyone capable enough on here who would take that commission, or if I would be better served on model forums? This is too good to pass up, one way or another I'm getting one made.

They did the Batpod and we were amazed. Then the Tumbler, 2 versions of it, both with LEDs and movable parts. Personally I could not believe it had been done in 1/6. Then the 1/12 Bat, no problem that it was in an entirely new scale for HT. No problem.

Well, the Tumbler and the Bat are more massive than this starfighter. This ship looks more imposing only because it is also huge in height due to the very tall vertical stabilizers (or whatever those are... damn beautifully nonsensical SW things...). But once these folded down, this vehicle would have the same display footprint as the Tumbler, only way less heavy and more sparse (you could put figures in the empty spaces around it).

Then came 2 more beasts: the 89 batmobile, and the Delorean. These 2 deserve special comment: no marketing support, just 2 old movies from the now remote 80s. Yet, they made them, with lots of LEDs, complicated shapes, movable parts and detailing..... The whole package. We were astounded. They even menaced with a bttf2 Delorean, which we are still waiting for..... :-(

Would any of you state that any of the above releases was a failure? I have no data, can only guess, but by the looks of it I'd say everything sold out, maybe even in a reasonable time, and now are rare pieces that very few want to get rid of, and if they do, it is for high prices.

As it has been said before, producing this starfighter might not be that expensive, considering HT's experience and technical prowess.
Sure, extensive paint operations would be needed, and concerning electronics... well, that would be more involved... many different lights and colours in the cockpit... difficult to do with 3 or 4 big white LEDs and a bunch of chips of coloured plastic, so (many) independent coloured LEDs would be needed. That wouldn't be particularly cheap to produce. But well: I think it wouldn't be much more difficult than doing the Tumbler was, and unlike it, this one could be shipped disassembled to save lots of space and shipping cost.

Yet, HT is not going to do it. They didn't do the MF cockpit, even if SSC even got to put it up on their site as an upcoming new product. It was all for naught. Same for a way smaller but equally nice item: Rey's bike (that one would have been such a top seller even for ST haters like me...).

So, what has actually happened to the bold Hot Toys? When did the bold Howard Chan give way to the conservative, unchallenged Howard Chan?
Or is it Chinese inflation?: would manufacturing these things (even Rey's landspeeder) be so expensive that they do not even dare to offer them? Not even feel the waters with a Kickstarter? Won't investing in more technology help reduce costs?
If only there was a channel to ask HT this kind of questions and get meaningful answers... The times I have tried via their Customer Support Service, it was useless.

BTW I am not forgetting the Hulkbuster, which finally arrived after several years of wait and struggle. The most complex 1/6 stunt ever pulled. But it is something else: HT did it only because it has constant marketing coverage by Disney/Marvel, and because Marvel, particularly Iron Man, is the best selling IP in 1/6. All those suits sell very well, no matter how many of them there are.

RfC
m.
Great post.

Despite all of that, I really believe they would sell out if they made the Jedi starfighter. I’m sure I’m not the only one that will get one, one way or another. So what it boils down to is they don’t think it would be lucrative enough, or they’ve lost their mojo.

Despite all of that, I really believe they would sell out if they made the Jedi starfighter. I’m sure I’m not the only one that will get one, one way or another. So what it boils down to is they don’t think it would be lucrative enough, or they’ve lost their mojo.

They can count on two. I'd clear one of my walls in my man cave to hang it. It would be an interesting piece/piece of art to display.

RfC
m.

It's been stated many times before that HT don't produce these because they don't sell in Asia. Peoples apartments are simply too small. As much as we'd like to think HT is a global company from our standpoint, they are still conservative and Asia based in their thinking.

As for Batmobiles selling out etc. Budget Stark did a video a couple of years ago where he walked around Secret Base. He mentioned that the Tumbler etc were still readily available in Hong Kong. And went further to say, as I mentioned above, space is a premium in HK and China and this is why they do not sell well.

Hot Toys is all about volume and popular figures. This is what they have based their business model on and the proof is in the pudding. Look where they are now. Top of the heap. It's pretty simple really. Concentrate on main characters, differentiate yourself from the competition with photo realistic face sculpts and paint apps and work on the biggest franchises.

That said even figures like the Hulkbuster were reported to be a loss maker, due to the extensive R&D. But that was perhaps a passion project to show it was possible.

In any case, considering all that and the probable losses made on Batmobiles, I don't think they will venture into low volume, hi risk projects such as 1/6 vehicles any time soon. Add to that higher Chinese wages etc and it seals the coffin I am afraid.

But don't despair. People like JazzInc are tackling them.

Great post.

Thanks.

I am sure too. People would save or kill to get it.

They can count on two. I'd clear one of my walls in my man cave to hang it. It would be an interesting piece/piece of art to display.

Three. Even if I couldn't expose it right now. One of the best SW designs, particularly that colourway.

I think they showed a TIE fighter too. I would have bought that for sure.

Me too. Better than eFX and much cheaper. Even if you have to keep it in a cellar and get it out only some times per year, it is worth it. These things come across only once in a lifetime!

I would have definitely gone for the TIE or Interceptor they displayed before.

Interceptor?!?!?!?

It's been stated many times before that HT don't produce these because they don't sell in Asia. Peoples apartments are simply too small. As much as we'd like to think HT is a global company from our standpoint, they are still conservative and Asia based in their thinking.

As for Batmobiles selling out etc. Budget Stark did a video a couple of years ago where he walked around Secret Base. He mentioned that the Tumbler etc were still readily available in Hong Kong. And went further to say, as I mentioned above, space is a premium in HK and China and this is why they do not sell well.

Hot Toys is all about volume and popular figures. This is what they have based their business model on and the proof is in the pudding. Look where they are now. Top of the heap. It's pretty simple really. Concentrate on main characters, differentiate yourself from the competition with photo realistic face sculpts and paint apps and work on the biggest franchises.

That said even figures like the Hulkbuster were reported to be a loss maker, due to the extensive R&D. But that was perhaps a passion project to show it was possible.

In any case, considering all that and the probable losses made on Batmobiles, I don't think they will venture into low volume, hi risk projects such as 1/6 vehicles any time soon. Add to that higher Chinese wages etc and it seals the coffin I am afraid.

But don't despair. People like JazzInc are tackling them.

But there is Europe, Latin America (huge 1/6 activity down there) and USA/Canada. Even the Russians collect.... Man, that is some market right? Sure they can adapt to it and make a lot of moolah.

Regarding low volume projects not making financial sense: what about all the other thriving companies doing precisely that? They make money and they survive and improve, right? So those projects are not company killers. You only need the political will to pull them.

Your statement about the HB being a financial loss contradicts itself at "due to extensive R&D". Since when putting money into R&D is losing money? And another point: remaining batmobiles and HBs would sell if prices were kept as they were upon release. I remember the Tumbler being dirty cheap (by today standards) back in the day, taxes included (in fact I remember I couldn't even believe the maths!). Are prices on those big items "updated"? If they are, no wonder they don't sell.

Those small runs by artists like JazzInc are too expensive I am afraid.

RfC
m.

Thanks.
Great post.
But there is Europe, Latin America (huge 1/6 activity down there) and USA/Canada. Even the Russians collect.... Man, that is some market right? Sure they can adapt to it and make a lot of moolah.

Regarding low volume projects not making financial sense: what about all the other thriving companies doing precisely that? They make money and they survive and improve, right? So those projects are not company killers. You only need the political will to pull them.

Your statement about the HB being a financial loss contradicts itself at "due to extensive R&D". Since when putting money into R&D is losing money? And another point: remaining batmobiles and HBs would sell if prices were kept as they were upon release. I remember the Tumbler being dirty cheap (by today standards) back in the day, taxes included (in fact I remember I couldn't even believe the maths!). Are prices on those big items "updated"? If they are, no wonder they don't sell.

Those small runs by artists like JazzInc are too expensive I am afraid.

RfC
m.

Sounds like you need to speak with Hot Toys then.

Back