Hot Toys Issues Infringement Notice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except the wording of the letter is so hopelessly vague it covers just about anything.

Exactly, I was just going to say this. It's incredibly vague. No where do they explicitly mention recasts, knock offs or bootlegs. You can infringe on Hot Toys in a lot of ways without copying their products. It's not so cut and dry without any context.

Whatever it is, it must be getting pretty bad if they have to make a public announcement to everyone asking for help. The banter in the comments section is hilarious, you'd think Hot Toys pissed in their cereal or something. :lol It'd be funny if people sent them a generic, automated message similar to what Jameson Rook did.

I was reading the comments on their Facebook post... So which one of you guys is John Brennan?:lol

I don't really want to know, lol.

I don't know about the vague thing. They might want to keep it as broad as possible. Leaves the door open and serves notice any bootleggers doing ANYTHING, not just X or Y.

I was reading the comments on their Facebook post... So which one of you guys is John Brennan?:lol

I don't really want to know, lol.

That's definitely someone from here. :lol They mentioned specific members from this board.

I bought the Winter Soldier knockoff because the HT version was considerably overpriced.

What does he look like? I can't find any pics.

The announcement is understandable and seems to affect direct knock offs only. Whats disgusting is that they think their fans can be turned into snitches so easily. I'm sure there's a handful that might be willing to take up a witch hunt even against third party companies that aren't infringing. However, I think they underestimate the dissatisfaction a good portion of their fan base has with the company.

I was reading the comments on their Facebook post...
So which one of you guys is John Brennan? lol
It-Was-Me-Jim-Carrey-Liar-Liar.gif

j/k

I've bought from Asia twice, both times being the oldest, out of production Hot Toys Thors. For all I know they're fake. Ignorance is kinda bliss on that front to collect the set, so I'm not sure I want an expert to examine them and find out. That said, if we are talking people knowingly supporting the purchase of fake toys marketed, packaged and sold as being Hot Toys when they are not, then that's just not on. No different than buying and selling counterfeit Levis. And sorry, you can't use Hot Toy's high prices as justification.

If there's one thing annoys me as a performance car owner, is somebody rebadging or swapping performance parts in say a Commodore SS and trying to pass it off (or worse, sell it!) as a Clubsport. Dishonesty at it's best.

If it's a case of Hot Toys trying to dictate who can make similar products to theirs, well unless they have an exclusive licensing agreement for that particular brand, like MCU, or DC, or Star Wars.. then they can blow it in that front.

I'm not going to get involved too much in this thread (just enjoy reading from a safe distance), as I've been hearing this mess for years over at the TF forums, ad nauseum.

However, I think the independent/third party/KO companies missed a golden opportunity over the last couple of years. Could you just imagine how pissed off Howard/HT would be if another company came along with a monster-sized Hulkbuster for about $400 while theirs was double the price and still hasn't been released yet?

On a serious note, I know that you can find re-casted headsculpts on Ebay, but has there ever been a fully bootlegged HT figure?

What's to snitch about? No one hides their recasts, bootlegs, etc. It's all in flagrante delicto

Back