Hot Toys Issues Infringement Notice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh too tempting not to so here we go.

HT: Jacerc130 other 1/6 figure manufacturers are Evil

Me: From my point of view Hot Toys is Evil

HT: WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST

Me: You are either with me or you are my enemy

HT: Only a true collector deals in absolutes

Now name that movie and the characters from dialogue!

Are all of those hating on Hot Toys in this thread, still buy product from them?

So what if we do? We go where the product is. Were consumers. If no one else is doing the product we want except for one game in town, what else are we supposed to do? Go into debt for a ****** looking custom, just to spite them?

So what if we do? We go where the product is. Look up consumerism. If no one else is doing the product we want except for one game in town, what else are we supposed to do? Go into debt for a ****** looking custom, just to spite them?

Pretty defensive and aggressive response for a simple impartial question.

Same story with what Takara Tommy experiences. The Masterpiece (Transformers) line is yuge. So many third party manufacturers do that as well. It all started as "fill-ins" for figures Takara wouldn't make, but it is much more now. Takara doesn't really fight it legally, as it is quite hard to do in China. What they do is simply release a better product, fairly priced, thus making the 3P version obsolete.

Many disagree, and claim that 3P has gotten better, but the fact remains< once Takara releases the real thing, eBay gets flooded with the bootlegs. Takara also prices them competitively too, so we all win.

They don't release a crying letter stating an absurd cease and desist, they GET TO WORK for the benefit fo the consumer.

HT? Nah, they release a ****ing 6" rat and price them at $230 plus shipping.

But of course, the HT white knights will state that it takes more "art" and "engineering", therefore $$$ to make an Iron Meh than doing an officially licensed Lamborghini car that TRANSFORMS into a cartoon accurate AS HELL Red Alert. Yeah, right.

Last edited:
all of those hating on Hot Toys in this thread
Ah, yes. Let's just call it "hate" because generalisations are kewl and edgy.
I guess a man actually hates his whife when he criticizes her cooking...

Pretty defensive and aggressive response for a simple impartial question.
It's not impartial if you call people names.
And look who's bein' defensive now. :lol

Ah, yes. Let's just call it "hate" because generalisations are kewl and edgy.
I guess a man actually hates his whife when he criticizes her cooking...

In my opinion, the overall theme of those opposed to this letter, IS hating on Hot Toys. But thats my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree with me. Nor am I forcing the way I feel down anyones throat. All I did was ask a simple question. I actually don't care much about the letter or whether its right or wrong. People here get offended quite easily........about toys.....

Hot Toys has been robbing the collectors for a long time now. Until they lower their prices and stop the price increases long may it continue.

Keep on bootlegging China. :lecture

HT doesn't want competition... so then lower your goddamn prices.

In my opinion, the overall theme of those opposed to this letter, IS hating on Hot Toys. But thats my opinion. I'm not asking you to agree with me. Nor am I forcing the way I feel down anyones throat. All I did was ask a simple question. I actually don't care much about the letter or whether its right or wrong. People here get offended quite easily........about toys.....

The only thing offensive, is HT's business model. And please, don't bring up the "toys" angle. Did you forget where you're at?

I ordered the AC Play civvies Bucky out of desperation. If Hot Toys doesn't want knock-offs, they should make 'em themselves :dunno
I'd have killed for a civvie CW Hot Toys Bucky, but they'd rather do more Iron Men :lol

Hear, hear:clap. You have the license for a certain character who spends a good bit of time in a hugely popular movie in significant scenes costumed a certain way, and no variant re that said costume is produced (along with, say, a custom accessory like the custom Harley which would probably sell on its own). Are we ever going to an have an Ancient One to go w. our Dr. Strange? How about when Steve Rogers was released and WASN'T wearing the civvie outfit he was wearing re one of the most iconic fights in film history? Or the shield he actually used through the film? (And WS' missing Gerber Mark II knife...)

No global company is going to do EVERYTHING and every variant, but seems like these KOs are (often) small-scale operations filling a niche for a fraction of collectors who want specialty items related to what was actually in a film. It's not these collectors' fault that HT misfires when it decides what to produce, and what not.

Oh too tempting not to so here we go.

HT: Jacerc130 other 1/6 figure manufacturers are Evil

Me: From my point of view Hot Toys is Evil

HT: WELL THEN YOU ARE LOST

Me: You are either with me or you are my enemy

HT: Only a true collector deals in absolutes

Now name that movie and the characters from dialogue!

tumblr_muqc49PP9Z1rsrbdko1_500.gif

:wink1:

I think they are mostly talking about knockoffs and recasts like Davy Jones, Blade, Bane, Wolverine and Godfather. In that case I can certainly understand their point. Although the collectors take a hit on those as well. It's also possible they could be seeing excess figures being churned out by factories and sold on the gray and black markets, which would not be surprising considering that todays figures are going for $220-$350 per. A factory could overrun an extra 100-200 figures, sell at half price and make a quick profit.

I can also see their point if they are cracking down on civilian clothes that are sold with knockoff heads. In that case companies could just offer the outfits.

However they might also be referring to knockoff characters that would fall under their license purview, such as Riddler/Mr. ? and Two Face/DoubleFace from Batman Forever; Faora from Man of Steel; Detective Mike Harrigan from Predator 2; TX from Terminator 3; as well as Slave Leia from Star Wars RotJ. In that case, I do think they're whining too much.

While Hot Toys has been focusing on the "Big 3" licenses--Star Wars, Marvel and DC, which of course makes logical business sense, they've been starving licenses like '66-'99 Batman, Alien and Predator (with maybe a figure every year or two) and sitting on licenses Rocky and The Matrix (provided they still have those) and producing zilch. Not to mention even fully servicing their main licenses -- whatever happened to Yellowjacket, '66 Batmobile (and probably '66 Joker and The Ancient One)?

In part HT may also be trying to step on the air hose, figuring that knockoff B- and C-string characters are cannibalizing dollars that they could be getting for their umpteenth Iron Man armor. However clearly there is a market demand for supporting characters. Instead of moaning about it HT could capitalize on it. For example, they could start a new division or sublicense to a small company. That way they could still make money and respond to market demand while keeping their focus on the mega licenses.

Knockoffs coupled with increasing competition from legitimate companies like Blitzway, Asmus, QMx, ThreeZero and Star Ace (who have been getting good licenses and can come close to matching HT quality) is probably starting to put a some heat on the company.

Sooo...now they are interacting with customers again :huh

When they can clean up Hong Kong with all their knock offs and recasted translucent Iron Man figs, I'll be willing to help em clean up the net.

I have to agree though...if they are not going to produce a figure the fans want, ie, Ras, Magneto, Prof. X, etc, then the market will provide...and I have and will buy if it's good enough.

I'm just hoping like he|| the market provides me a reasonably priced 1/6 scale '66 Batmobile!:pray:

If this was addressed to me, then I'll reply with "I never said that."

I said that if their costs rise then our costs ride in purchasing their products.

If it was addressed to me I have no idea how you would have come to that particular conclusion.

With this clarification I see i misunderstood what you wrote. Thank you for clarifying.

However clearly there is a market demand for supporting characters. Instead of moaning about it HT could capitalize on it. For example, they could start a new division or sublicense to a small company. That way they could still make money and respond to market demand while keeping their focus on the mega licenses.

This. And/or do limited runs of specialty costumes, sculpts (limited rooted hair sculpts, maybe for certain figs), etc. which there is a clearly a market for. All things being equal, I'm probably gonna buy an HT costume or fig first, over anyone else, even if I'm paying more. But I can't do that if HT doesn't step up to the plate and deliver.

With this clarification I see i misunderstood what you wrote. Thank you for clarifying.

No worries my friend.

But yeah, ultimately Hot Toys is right in this regard. There isn't much room for interpretation on that.

Morally... they're 95% right. They have a right to protect what they own and the bottom line is being impacted.

Hiring lawyers to go after the individuals bootlegging means more cost which trickles down to the consumer. So while those complaining that Hot Toys are gouging (which I don't deny) then in reality their costs are going up with each bootleg.

This is six in one hand half dozen in the other.

The way they've worded this seems more like their focused on people that are trying to pass off fakes as hot toys products. The Takara one is a good example - I see 2, maybe even three category of products their - 1. 3rd party products - these are original designs that infringe on licensing. 2. Knockoffs/Bootlegs - copies of official takara products (sometimes even 3rd party products). They're usually called something different. Like Takasa Tony instead of Takara Tomy. and then maybe a third category, which are bootlegs that are trying to pass themselves off as original products.

I think Hot Toys is focusing on this 3rd category as that may have adverse impact on their brand perception. For those of us who have been collecting for a while, we know how to spot fakes. As you can see which questions that pop up here from time to time, newer collectors may not.

If you really wanted to give this teeth, HT should have sued 2-3 companies first. THEN issued a release to both customers and manufacturers saying "Consumer protection is a top priority. We want to make sure that consumers are not defrauded. We have already begun the process of shutting down this practice. If you believe you are aware of the practice..."

Takes out the whole issue of licensing, costs, failing to meet market demands, etc. Frame it as a strictly consumer protection issue.

This only has to do with people taking their products and recasting and then reselling it. They cannot do anything to people who are making figures they haven't made themselves. If they haven't made a Prof Xavier or Peggy Carter, etc, they cannot do anything. But if someone takes their Heath Joker and recasts, repaints and resells it, they they can go after you, which they should.

If someone wants to make civilian clothes for a character that they never made, they cannot do anything either. Unless someone is trying to sell it as a Hot Toys Product.

Customizers need to more worry about the companies like WB, Disney, or Marvel coming after them. If a customizer doesn't have the license to make a character, then they can be prosecuted. Like I just bought the VTS Wasteland Ranger. Technically it was illegal for them to make it because they don't have Tom Hardy, George Miller or WBs permission.

Back