Hot Toys - Iron Man 2:Mark IV Limited Edition spec

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall they have gained their reputation for good reason, but there's room for improvement whenever there is compromise.

Yet in between times the DX Batman fiasco is damaging it a lot with collectors.

Years to build reputations, seconds to destroy.

Yet in between times the DX Batman fiasco is damaging it a lot with collectors.

Years to build reputations, seconds to destroy.

Sorry to be dumb, but what happened with the DX Batman? Was there something wrong with the figure or just the fact that they released it at all and people felt like they were double dipping?

I don't know if it's so bad when you know it's a possibility. It's like vanilla DVDs versus special edition ones. There are certain companies you know might release a special/director/collectors edition down the line and you know it's a risk to get the first version. I know it's different with Hot Toys in some ways... going back and getting the first version can be hard if a special version never materializes. But in some ways you have to throw that back on the consumer. If consumers didn't purchase special/deluxe editions then companies would be less inclined to buy them.

Personally, as I just started collecting HT stuff... I won't be sad if they make a super cool version. If it's cool enough and I have the money I'll buy it. If it's cool but I don't have money or not that much better than what I have... I won't get it. But I'd be happy for those who wanted it and happy with my initial purchase. The one exception I can see is where the first release is of a bad quality (maybe this happened with Batman?) but I don't equate less features with bad quality.

I ll bite.Which one??

Well, it might not mean much unless you're into RC stuff but I work for Horizon Hobby.

Last edited:
I was talking about the wrists. The abdomen on the first suit is also more or less skin tight. Sorry I should have been more specific.
got you. sorry, should have known.

Sorry to be dumb, but what happened with the DX Batman? Was there something wrong with the figure or just the fact that they released it at all and people felt like they were double dipping?

I don't know if it's so bad when you know it's a possibility. It's like vanilla DVDs versus special edition ones. There are certain companies you know might release a special/director/collectors edition down the line and you know it's a risk to get the first version. I know it's different with Hot Toys in some ways... going back and getting the first version can be hard if a special version never materializes. But in some ways you have to throw that back on the consumer. If consumers didn't purchase special/deluxe editions then companies would be less inclined to buy them.

Personally, as I just started collecting HT stuff... I won't be sad if they make a super cool version. If it's cool enough and I have the money I'll buy it. If it's cool but I don't have money or not that much better than what I have... I won't get it. But I'd be happy for those who wanted it and happy with my initial purchase. The one exception I can see is where the first release is of a bad quality (maybe this happened with Batman?) but I don't equate less features with bad quality.
i think the poster meant the oil leak in the bat dx. but to throw my two cents in, double dipping sucks. we all know by now ht is absolutely positively capable of making a kickass figure, so make it count the first time around. there's no excuse now for a subpar 1st try and then to go back to it again with an improved version. so, no rush please. collectors need to learn to be patience if they expect quality. screw the general populace.

Well, to give you an idea, there are three guys I work with who liked comic books as kids and enjoy the movies. They don't really collect toys - and not even comics so much really - but as soon as they saw the Mark I they were amazed. I showed them pics of the Mark IV and they were asking where they can get it from.

I think sometimes people can become very shortsighted. They think there's either a hardcore group who'd be interested in these and the general populace. But there's definitely some bleed between the group.

I dunno, man. Sounds like you showed the pics to your friends (MkI, MkIV). Being a friend of a friend who follows figure news and forum posts excludes them from being a part of the general populace, whatever that term even means. Question is, would they have seen it on their own? And if so, where would they have found it?

In a way, I'm expressing my dismay over the doctored photos because I'm looking out for those who do not follow forums and figure minutiae. I'm making it sound more noble than it is, but when did disliking fake advertising become a bad thing? I know, when it became about Hot Toys. And I know how people can get if a word of malcontent is spoken about them.

the mark IV looks excellent! a few proportion issues aside, this is definitely their best effort so far.

but. i'm holding out for the inevitable markVI version. i'm fairly certain that one will address whatever slight flaws the markIV figure does/will have. plus that's the mark that is meant to be posed with war machine, and i've already po-ed that one. :D

Last edited:
when did disliking fake advertising become a bad thing? I know, when it became about Hot Toys. And I know how people can get if a word of malcontent is spoken about them.

Nah you're 100% right. Not sure what JonWes is talking about either and after reading the company he works for I doubt he was even talking about 1/6 scale stuff. More like RC cars and what not.

Because as far as 1/6 scale stuff, there is no massive amount of photoshopping going in spec pics. And I don't mean visual enhancements or environment manipulation. I'm talking about what HT did, PS'ing specific elements of a figure to show what they SHOULD look like when finished. So not only is it a new thing for HT, but a new thing for the 1/6 scale market. Hopefully it won't be a new trend because it's BS, especially for HT.

728712949_rCg6F-O.jpg
841105236_jNpdW-XL.jpg

Look at this movie poster. The armor looks A LOT bulkier than how Hot Toys is presenting it. Now I really am bummed. :(

I dunno, man. Sounds like you showed the pics to your friends (MkI, MkIV). Being a friend of a friend who follows figure news and forum posts excludes them from being a part of the general populace, whatever that term even means. Question is, would they have seen it on their own? And if so, where would they have found it?

Sorry if you found it hard to understand, I may have been unclear. I'll try to clarify. The general populace are those people who are outside a core group of collectors who avidly follow a product. It's often a mistake hard core collectors make that they are the end all and be all of a market... or more specifically, a POTENTIAL market.

My co-workers are representative of a group of people who might be interested in Hot Toys products but are not aware of them. They are part of a potential market that Hot Toys/Sideshow cannot always reach through the usual channels.

When a movie is released awareness for everything about it goes up. That's why there's a ton of merch available when a movie first comes out. Other than a smaller push when the DVD comes out, that's really your only time to make a huge impact and when you get the most sales. It's just a basic marketing thing.

Hot Toys is removed from that game. With the complexity of their products it's probably a struggle to get them out in as timely manner as they do. So the best they can do is get the info and photos out there for people to find. If they aren't lucky enough to have a really cool co-worker who is into this stuff ( ;) ) then there are still many channels they can find out about it through. Maybe a feature on a show like Attack of the Show on G4. A feature in a magazine. A news article they stumble upon while looking for news about the movie. Try Googling Iron Man 2 through News - Hot Toys stuff comes up because other websites cover it!

So it makes sense to get the photos and info out there as soon as they can to maximize their exposure. Will they reach a greater audience than the usual suspects? Who knows! I just think they are trying.

In a way, I'm expressing my dismay over the doctored photos because I'm looking out for those who do not follow forums and figure minutiae. I'm making it sound more noble than it is, but when did disliking fake advertising become a bad thing? I know, when it became about Hot Toys. And I know how people can get if a word of malcontent is spoken about them.

I think it just depends. I don't think it's right to photoshop something to look way better than it does (I think Hasbro crosses this line with the way they heavily photoshop some of their promo pics) but there's a big difference between that and what HT seem to be doing.

Nah you're 100% right. Not sure what JonWes is talking about either and after reading the company he works for I doubt he was even talking about 1/6 scale stuff. More like RC cars and what not.

Because as far as 1/6 scale stuff, there is no massive amount of photoshopping going in spec pics. And I don't mean visual enhancements or environment manipulation. I'm talking about what HT did, PS'ing specific elements of a figure to show what they SHOULD look like when finished. So not only is it a new thing for HT, but a new thing for the 1/6 scale market. Hopefully it won't be a new trend because it's BS, especially for HT.

If Photoshop is just used to show a representation of how something is supposed to work (the type of product is inconsequential) - an expression of a feature that cannot be show on a prototype, for instance - this is not "false" advertising. There is certainly no intent of bamboozling the customer. Looking at the missiles, it's possible they're ability to snap on requires them to be made out of more pliable plastic than the proto affords. So it has to be Photoshopped on. For the chest, it's possible that this feature isn't even built into the proto. I'm not saying thats' the case, it's just possible.

Now if people get the figure and it looks much worse than the proto or it's completely different (especially in a negative way)... that's a problem.

Last edited:
The only one thing that I dont like about this figure is the LED switch on the arms, is on the side of the bicaps (see pic below) it looks really odd, HT please fix this ... :banghead

Atlease make it red like the armor :horror
20100417_09ac076cbc21dc66f299gvTAv98QMw5b.jpg

HT hide the switch with camera angle in the official pics and photoshop the JP ver.
mark4-07-big.jpg

Some JP official pics
mark4-04-big.jpg

mark4-05-big.jpg

mark4-07-big.jpg

mark4-13-big.jpg

mark4-17-big.jpg

mark4-23-big.jpg

I just cancelled my EX BD Mark III. It was painful to let go of. Good luck to whoever is on the waitlist. I really like this Mark IV and preordered it instead. Just lovin the engineering on this bad boy. Also I know these are just early promo pics but I don't see any hint of a giraffe neck like the BD Mark III.

the long n skinny neck is still there imo. the head should be more pressed down to get closer to the shoulders.

I just cancelled my EX BD Mark III. It was painful to let go of. Good luck to whoever is on the waitlist. I really like this Mark IV and preordered it instead. Just lovin the engineering on this bad boy. Also I know these are just early promo pics but I don't see any hint of a giraffe neck like the BD Mark III.

aiya... too bad, bro. IMMIIIBD actually is very nice figure.:emperor
I think the neck should be same with IMMIV.
I'm going for IMMV instead of IMMIV. :( cause money does ruling...
Anyway, it's ur call... happy hunting then!

I've just POed this one.

It's still bothering me. Is there any different in MarkIII and Mark IV helmet? It really look exactly the same to me.

aiya... too bad, bro. IMMIIIBD actually is very nice figure.:emperor
I think the neck should be same with IMMIV.
I'm going for IMMV instead of IMMIV. :( cause money does ruling...
Anyway, it's ur call... happy hunting then!

Yeah man, it was a hard decision. IMMIIIBD is an amazing piece. Oh no, what have I done! j/k

Back