Hot Toys Han Solo & Chewbacca re-release with poll.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How important is exclusivity to you?

• Exclusivity is important to me and am discouraged about purchasing more Hot Toys

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • I'm happy for the re-release and it encourages me to purchase more of the Hot Toys Star Wars line

Votes: 108 78.3%

• Total voters

Batsugun

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hot Toys has announced they will re-release the sold out Star Wars figures of Han Solo & Chewbacca as well as Obi Wan.

I'm curious how everyone feels about Hot Toys re-releasing sold out figures? Do you buy Hot toys figures expecting exclusivity?

For those who missed out the first time, will the re-releases make you want to purchase more Hot Toys Star Wars figures? I can understand Hot Toys position. Not having key figures may discourage people from purchasing the rest of the Star Wars line.

I did get these figures when announced and am a little disappointed they will be re-released. The exclusivity of the figures made me preorder future figures. The re-release has me rethinking about purchasing more Star Wars Hot Toys figures. They are very expensive so I may only purchase the figures I really really want in the future if at all.

Seems to me that Hot Toys underestimated their popularity. It's the simple business ethic of supply and demand. They would be silly not to and at the end of the day everyone wins. No amount of bitching or feeling hard done by will change their mind, accept it and move on.

I hate exclusivity. It's only good for scalpers. I hope they flood the market and leave those who bought several to make profit on others with their stock on their hands.

A toy should never be exclusive and available to anyone who can afford it at a fixed price for a long, long time after its release. It should become a collection piece only after 15 to 20 years, just like the old toys of our youth. More so when most of the will become worthless when the movie has lost its appeal. Star Wars will endure, but who will care about AntMan in a few years?

This hobby should never be a investment method, just pure entertainment.

Considering that Star Wars is one of (if not, the biggest movie franchise of all time), it's hardly surprising that they are making more figures.

Let's not forget how merchandise, toys and Star Wars have always gone hand in hand.

Hot Toys have sold a lot of figures and made a lot of money. They are a company that relies on sales - of course they are going to make more.

I say GOOD. Gives those who missed out the first time a chance to get figures that are now only being sold for stupid eBay prices.

Who would have thought that some of the most beloved and iconic set of characters of all time would sell out?

Who would have thought that a toy company would keep making more toys that are popular and selling well? Mental.

I've said it elsewhere - this hobby is entertainment, not investment. I don't care about exclusivity at all.

My one and only concern would be if HT decides to revise and high light the fur around Chewie. If it remains the same then finally those people that missed out on it like my wife can be happy!!

I don't see how manufacturing another batch is a problem unless a company specified it was a limited run in the first place. Only if they take this opportunity to make corrections or alterations does it become a problem. That would be unfair to those who purchased first.

I'm not in this for your revolution man. I don't collect for exclusivity. I collect for enjoyment. When I see other like minded people getting similar enjoyment, I am genuinely happy.

Considering I'm getting Chewie on the re-release I guess I'm happy for it this time. A packaging change is probably appropriate for something like this.

Comic Books get re-released. The first edition is always king for collectors, but I'm not a ****** who thinks a good story should never be read by a new audience.

EDIT: A buddy of mine collects Criterion DVDs and Blu-Rays. He has a complete collection. I game him sh-- for owning Armageddon, a movie I know he loathes. He said he gladly purchased it because big titles like that allow Criterion to do little projects that don't make money.

So Star Wars is a huge hit for Hot Toys, maybe it allows HT to do a few small run projects they might not consider otherwise.

Unlike other collectibles where there are fixed edition sizes written on plaques/stands/bases (and even there we see re-releases and exceptions), Hot Toys items can be made without an edition size in mind. I don't mind remakes of the most popular figures at all, especially because this helps fellow collectors get what they might have missed, and this also stops scalpers.

Don't think you'll become rich after selling a few Hot Toys (or other similar collectibles) at overprice - in the end there is a balance in life, and thus you can be sure that in exchange you'll have to get other things that are overpriced too. Collect what you really like, not for resale, neither for investment purposes. Enjoy this hobby for what it is.

Didn't we have another thread like this already for several weeks? Newbs need to learn 'search'.

I bought almost the entire HT Star Wars line when it first came out and happy I did. Also happy that others get a chance to share in Star Wars.

What are you worried about -- another 5,000 people will have your toys?

I'm not in this for your revolution man. I don't collect for exclusivity. I collect for enjoyment. When I see other like minded people getting similar enjoyment, I am genuinely happy.

You're awesome. Love the attitude. Anyway. I would say the figure I have that "has gained the most value" is the DX 11 or 01. I don't look at either one with more enjoyment than say the '66 Batman and Robin, or Man of Steel. Those I would be lucky to even get my money back on with selling, but I don't intend on selling. I wish they would release another batch of DX 11, I would buy another. Another Blade would be nice as well.

Yes, I would feel bad for the eBay buyers but I have bought figures on there as well. I've also started a figure at .99 cents and doubled my money, so as someone else stated, it does even out in the end. I wasn't selling figure to make money, I just quit collecting Marvel figures because I couldn't keep up.

Even with re-releases, I believe that the first editions still maintain their exclusivity because later on down the line, they generally end up being the more highly sought after one in terms of value.

Even with re-releases, I believe that the first editions still maintain their exclusivity because later on down the line, they generally end up being the more highly sought after one in terms of value.

2mfyre8.gif

Back