1/6 Hot Toys -- Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS 253 - Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

That's an understatement :hi5:

For sure, I'm really looking forward to getting these two now, Rocket is back to being my favourite with Groot in second instead of Starlord....

Spoiler Spoiler:

DO NOT QUOTE THIS< IT WILL REVEAL THE SPOILERS :lecture

I still think Drax and Rocket need tweaking before release.

I think Rocket needs work, but Groot looks just fine! :clap

Drax looks fine, a little wide maybe I'm not sure :dunno
Spoiler Spoiler:

Drax looks fine, a little wide maybe I'm not sure :dunno
Spoiler Spoiler:

That would be an awesome exclusive!

I want these guys so bad, but At bbts are sold out :(

POd mine earlier. This duo turned out my personal must-haves from the line (it was Drax before). Still not sure about Star-Lord. I have a feeling I can get him at a decent price here despite the movie's success. Just too much good HT stuff too soon coming out and not all collectors here can really afford everything.

So after having seen the film I feel as though they missed the boat a bit. With The two pack coming with a second raging Groot sculpt, its made me wish that it would also have a second Rocket sculpt with him full on shouting like he does multiple times in the film.

I also might have to do a custom acesoriy that I feel they're sorely missing....
Spoiler Spoiler:

Either way they look amazing and I plan on getting them along with the rest of the team.

SS not shipping the pack to Ireland :dunno

POd mine earlier. This duo turned out my personal must-haves from the line (it was Drax before). Still not sure about Star-Lord. I have a feeling I can get him at a decent price here despite the movie's success. Just too much good HT stuff too soon coming out and not all collectors here can really afford everything.

Agree on your "not afford everything". POd my Rocket and Groot, not getting any of the other figures. If I did Star-Lord would be the one. Saving my cash for Avengers 2. I keep reminding myself as each figure is released. Must say "No"! :pray:

So after having seen the film I feel as though they missed the boat a bit. With The two pack coming with a second raging Groot sculpt, its made me wish that it would also have a second Rocket sculpt with him full on shouting like he does multiple times in the film...
Yep, I really wish there was an additional 'raging' Rocket sculpt. I expect that will be its own release but it's too bad as it would bring this set to the next level. I've resigned myself to buying that headsculpt a-la-carte once it's parted out on e.Bay (assuming it gets made).

Agree on your "not afford everything". POd my Rocket and Groot, not getting any of the other figures. If I did Star-Lord would be the one. Saving my cash for Avengers 2. I keep reminding myself as each figure is released. Must say "No"! :pray:
Yep, I'm sorely tempted by Star-Lord but I'm not sure that he would add a ton to Rocket and Groot, visually. They look perfect together. Cool as Star-Lord is, not sure that he wouldn't get in the way.

This is going to sound absurd to most of you, but you know how Hot Toys has injected slight Asian features into some of their sculpts? Which I feel is an understandable byproduct of the sculptors and company being Asian, and a natural part of how we process aesthetics.

Okay, so how does that relate to Rocket, you might ask. I noticed a few people seemed to have issues with the sculpt, and after seeing the movie, I looked at the pics again and figured out what was bothering me. It looks more like an East-Asian raccoon dog (tanuki in Japan) instead of an American raccoon. I'm Japanese, if that helps.

If you look at photos of raccoons vs raccoon dogs, and the proto vs CGI model you can see how the HT Rocket has a more pronounced snout, slimmed head, and sunken eyes versus his CGI counterpart. Features more akin to the raccoon dog than the raccoon.

And yes, I know how ridiculous sounds. This is the strangest thing I'm posting on a forum (as a serious point, that is). And no, it's not an elaborate ploy to try to get a bunch if people to Google search raccoon dogs.

PD1405681276z8n.jpg

^^ he owns RaccoonDogs.com :lol

Seriously though this figure does need work :lecture

Yeah. HT's cannibalizing their own products, at least as far as collectors with only limited budget for this hobby is concerned. Just too much good stuff at such a small timeframe. I can theorize that it's why SSC's not released Mark III die-cast for PO yet (while it's been out here AND IS SOLD OUT at some dealers since last week). They have to see the other releases move quantities first before releasing the sure seller.

Back