1/6 Hot Toys -- Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I hope gas prices stay down.
:lol They won't.

So wait, why don't people like Rocket? From here it looks like he improved massively after the tweaks. I bet he'll look even better in hand
Consensus seems to be he should be free and have real fur, Pop! Looks great to me, also. Set can't arrive soon enough!

Consensus seems to be he should be free and have real fur, Pop! Looks great to me, also. Set can't arrive soon enough!

Yea, it would be awesome if he spit too :lol

Who couldn't love Hot Toys' ickle Wocket?

11150464_683552041770493_7222871158290392683_n.jpg

11205553_683552038437160_8633360835386313939_n.jpg

:lol

Something about the sculpt doesn't communicate the character of rocket to me

Looks perfect to me. There really isn't anything you can point out about the sculpt that can be changed to make him look closer to Rocket. The only thing that's making it look off for people is that you're comparing sculpted fur to VFX fur.

Qjl1Q25.jpg

Hot Toys -- Guardians of the Galaxy - Groot & Rocket

Yeah I'm gonna have to pre order this pack when I can. I'm actually digging it a lot more every time I look at it. I do honestly wish we got a neutral closed mouth sculpt for Rocket like in his poster. Love that look. Or wish we got a screaming sculpt for him. Dude, we should've gotten exclusive screaming sculpts for both figures instead of two potted Groots. XD

Looks perfect to me. There really isn't anything you can point out about the sculpt that can be changed to make him look closer to Rocket. The only thing that's making it look off for people is that you're comparing sculpted fur to VFX fur.

Qjl1Q25.jpg

Nah, there definitely is. I have him, I really like him. But.. He doesn't have enough "Rocket-ness" in the face. His expression should be less angular and more rounded. Fur shape more rounded and his eye brows more expressive. I actually studied him yesterday looking to see why he didn't feel quite right. Way too linear around the mouth as well.

Still a lovely little figure though.

Qjl1Q25.jpg

Maybe there are a few minor likeness issues like Rory pointed out, but I have to agree it's mostly about the fur. This is no different than the way Stark, Cap, Quill or anyone's hair doesn't translate perfectly to sculpted 1/6 when comparing it side by side with a movie still. Especially because on screen Rocket's fur (tail & face particularly) have a very wispy appearance that could never be captured in a sculpt

I am cool with the minor differences between sculpt and animation. I think that in person, he's going to look so awesome and the two of them (plus potted Groot) are going to look so great that you'll ignore the other details and move on.

I am cool with the minor differences between sculpt and animation. I think that in person, he's going to look so awesome and the two of them (plus potted Groot) are going to look so great that you'll ignore the other details and move on.

They absolutely do. Have to be honest it's very difficult to have any real gripe with this set in hand. They look AMAZING together IMO.

Agreed Rory. My expectations were actually lowered with Rocket but he's now one of my favorite figures. When I saw the first blogger pics i thought he looked improved over the proto but I still thought he looked kind of toyish. When I took him out of the box that thought vanished. He looks so much better in hand. The weathering on his orange space suit, the whiskers, his rifle and even the extra bent feet just make this such a cool looking figure. The leg articulation could be a little better but I can live with it. The only other thing would be the paint on the tail. It seems a little flat to me, where they could have added another wash layer or something to give it more definition. Again, that's a minor thing and depending on the pose you hardly even see the tail.

He definitely stands out on my shelf even at a third the size of the other figures.

Back