Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SideShow AT-AT driver boots much worse than TIE

2 pack Vader-Tarkin at SS currently displayed at low stock, soon it will be "Wait list" just like Tarkin

As im still new with SS..what doese "Wait list" means anyway ? You wait for SS to re-stock (getting from Hot Toys in HongKong) or you're waiting in line hope someone cancels their order and just pop in like Lucky draw ?

Traded some old stuff in at a local comic shop and walked away with tarkin for basically nothing. Super stoked to have him since I thought I missed out.

Only thing that bothers me is how awesome tarkin a boots are... they make my sideshow tie pilots boots look horrible and I’m having a tough time finding good replacements

You might try searching for WW2 German boots; they’re pretty much the same thing, and the ones parted out from military kits are really nice.

SideShow AT-AT driver boots much worse than TIE

Though they could do with some very light weathering, the ATAT boots are totally different to the TIE boots, and are a more "unrealistic" look - the TIE boots are supposed to be regular German leather boots whereas the ATAT driver has snow-bunny style moonboots.

The problem I’m finding with the parted out ww2 boots is that most of the real leather like material ones are meant for figures with actual feet

Next biggest seller would be VEERS, hands down.

Regular uniform with the extra AT-AT gear included.

Has to be doing the side-eye expression.

377af4091c7b72ff70430366db42e19b.jpg

The Grand Moff has arrived in the northeast....

TARKIN-002.jpg

The portrait and the paint apps are nothing short of amazing. The hair, which some folks are calling out as too brown, actually looks pretty good to me. The skin texturing is great.

Now, the not-so-hot in my book (I'm already flinching for the blasting I'll likely get here)

While the uniform is cut and fitted well, it has a couple of drawbacks that are distracting to me. First off, having the figure in such a crisp tailored outfit that arrives crammed in the tray with the outfit ending up with puckers and creases that can't be simply futzed out is a real drag. All of the wrinkles and creases really take away from the sharp clean look one would expect the character to feature. I haven't seen one "in-hand" shot that doesn't show the tunic puckered and creased in the middle or having other crumpled areas of the outfit. The commanding officer of the Death Star should not look like he slept in his uniform!
The other issue is those sleeves - they cannot be pulled and positioned in such a way to achieve that signature "crossed-arm" look featured on the box. The arms don't look natural that way, and having the joints show is the least of it- this is a figure after all, with articulation - not a statue. But having an illustration on the package call out the pose makes it even more frustrating. I'll land on another look for him on display, it's just a little odd to call attention to something that is looking more like some photoshop trickery than an actual photo of the figure.

Alright-enough about that. The boots are really effective here- a nice step up from the ANH Han that featured a similar boot. These are much more successful without that ankle-crease.

Now I know I've just been ragging away here on this figure - so let me at least say- I'm glad to have it-I'm glad HT produced this long-sought after villain of the original film. Tarkin is one of the classic SW characters I've been waiting to see produced as a high-end sixth-scale figure since Sideshow (and then Hot Toys) started producing for the license. Expectations were high, and for the most part, this figure meets them. Overall it's a decent figure, with a powerful portrait. If anyone has any futzing tips they'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.

Here's my take of that signature pose...

TARKIN-001.jpg

I agree Jedi bear - the uniform looks great but I'm really nervous to do poses that create crinkles because it does undo that pressed uniform look pretty quickly. I decided to not even bend the arms.

I agree Jedi bear - the uniform looks great but I'm really nervous to do poses that create crinkles because it does undo that pressed uniform look pretty quickly. I decided to not even bend the arms.

I did the same. I had mine with his arm bent for a few days and it left indelible wrinkles that I don't really like. I decided to leave the arms at the side to keep the pressed uniform look as well.

I did the same. I had mine with his arm bent for a few days and it left indelible wrinkles that I don't really like. I decided to leave the arms at the side to keep the pressed uniform look as well.

As I think Wor-gar said, the uniform doesn't seem like something you want to do water or steam treatment on. It looks great but its a weird fabric.

My Tarkin has been sitting in my PoL at BBTS for 2 wks. His wrinkled uniform is gonna be permanently pressed with creases by the time I get him out ☹️

mine should be here tomorrow which should have been here today but some how at BBTS they had fedx deliver to usps instead of just dropping it off them self something I`m going to look into with BBTS to make sure it comes straight from fedx and not two locations.

Back