Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why people think his face should be Ferrari red while Hot toys shade of red is really close to what we see in the movie. Here's a movie still to illustrate.

83e9344b46ad8327337bcb4e9665d1ba.jpg

They're probably all accurate to a degree. There are times it's darker and times it looks much lighter. We all win lol

I don't understand why people think his face should be Ferrari red while Hot toys shade of red is really close to what we see in the movie. Here's a movie still to illustrate.

83e9344b46ad8327337bcb4e9665d1ba.jpg

The actual makeup used was Reel Creations body art ink "Flame" which has a brighter tint than a deep red.

They're probably all accurate to a degree. There are times it's darker and times it looks much lighter. We all win lol

And this is true, for a few reasons. First, the makeup is really thin, and is designed to be applied with an airbrush. So, it can have varying degrees of shades just due to how heavy it was applied on any given day. And then when you factor in on set lighting, color grading and timing in post....viola...different shades of Maul.

I still think the two skyler has that has been repainted looks more appealing then the original HT color. The HT one looks more orange colored next to the two repaints

The actual makeup used was Reel Creations body art ink "Flame" which has a brighter tint than a deep red.

And this is true, for a few reasons. First, the makeup is really thin, and is designed to be applied with an airbrush. So, it can have varying degrees of shades just due to how heavy it was applied on any given day. And then when you factor in on set lighting, color grading and timing in post....viola...different shades of Maul.

The forgotten Star Wars prequel- 50 Shades of Maul... :lol

Back on topic, we don't know what pictures were provided to HT for references, whether they were on-set pictures, costume tests with full make-up, screen captures, or something else. Generally, I've learned to not expect HT figures to match color-timed shots from the film, especially if special effects are involved (which isn't the case here). That said, I'm happy enough with the red on the production version of the figure and how it displays in my cabinet. It does have an orange tint in certain lighting, but it has a nice, not super bright/intense red under cool white lights.

Is this a brown coat/blue coat situation? What's in reality versus what was on the screen?

HT often seems to make things too dark for some reason. I wonder if it's because they expect people to display under bright lights

They make them futureproof to accomodate color fading. They'll have perfect color in 20 years.

Is this a brown coat/blue coat situation? What's in reality versus what was on the screen?

Beyond that, the coat is fabric and permanent, this is makeup that is subject to weather conditions, set lighting, degree of application, lots of room for variation, even the tattoos, in some shots the lines from his eye sockets to the spades on his forehead vary from thick to thin. There is no singular Maul look that all products should follow as a guide.

One thing I don’t like about the Sideshow v2 or Hot Toys is the generic horns they gave him, the Phantom Menace horns have distinct shapes to them. Hasbro’s first 12” Maul and the Sideshow v1 got that aspect right.

Beyond that, the coat is fabric and permanent, this is makeup that is subject to weather conditions, set lighting, degree of application, lots of room for variation, even the tattoos, in some shots the lines from his eye sockets to the spades on his forehead vary from thick to thin. There is no singular Maul look that all products should follow as a guide.

One thing I don’t like about the Sideshow v2 or Hot Toys is the generic horns they gave him, the Phantom Menace horns have distinct shapes to them. Hasbro’s first 12” Maul and the Sideshow v1 got that aspect right.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more with that about the horns.

Finally got around to trying to do something with those awful robes. I settled on doing something like he's taking it off before the duel. Either that or he's selling dodgy stuff under his robe lol

maul.jpg

Finally got a waitlist conversion for the dx16 exclusive. Picked it up.

Would a water treatment help the cloak sit better? Figured I?d get this one and if I end up preferring the solo version once it?s out I?ll sell this for that.

Finally got a waitlist conversion for the dx16 exclusive. Picked it up.

Would a water treatment help the cloak sit better? Figured I?d get this one and if I end up preferring the solo version once it?s out I?ll sell this for that.

Same here, but I had already bought an exclusive on ebay. I'm surprised.

Also got my waitlist converted for the Exclusive. :yess:

Also had a $25 code on my account that was expiring in a few days so perfect timing to cover the new tax charges that they do now.

Waitlist for the regular finally came through. I?m buying it. Have $100 in rewards too. Screw the speeder I guess. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also got my waitlist converted for the Exclusive. :yess:

Also had a $25 code on my account that was expiring in a few days so perfect timing to cover the new tax charges that they do now.

Yeah I had a coupon about to expire too so used it. Covers shipping at least.

dang my waitlist for exclusive dx17 is available but dont want to spend $400+. maybe my dx16 waitlist will become available too? either way im going to end up buying the dx16 either on sideshow or ebay...

I already bought DX16 on BBTS the other day, and now my SS exclusive converted. Is the only difference the dumb hologram? If so, I don't care about that...

Back