Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great solution to the neck, Cocoboloboy...I'll try that. Also agree pretty much with your review and would reiterate that the Sideshow figure, when not placed right next to the HT is actually a good figure. The issues you raise with the HT are the same ones I have with it and as you mentioned, the PERS in this figure really add a lot -just a slight adjustment adds so much expression.

HT TPM MAUL-010.jpg

The only other nit I have is the stand, I really wish HT would've just included a basic stand with this. I really hate the oversized base with the cheap, poorly applied label.

I hope you go for it, Sean...it would be a treat to see your photos for this figure.

Just got mine today from SS. Great piece. Glad I got it. Here are a few comparison shots of the differences between it and the SS version and the Hasbro speeder.
270cd4e9995f68a5b5fe47018418d719.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could easily regconize the size diffrence between SS and HT. HT's Maul at least twice the size as SS, SS Maul is just WAY undersized, so much for the "superior version" :lol.

I mean bulkier, and I said "at least" for the measurement. SS version looks totally like a skinny drug addict compared with...you know, frequently hit-the-gym HT one. Ok I will say it again, HT Maul, from the way I percieve the entire propotion, approximately 1.5 bulkier than SS, according to that pic.

I mean bulkier, and I said "at least" for the measurement. SS version looks totally like a skinny drug addict compared with...you know, frequently hit-the-gym HT one. Ok I will say it again, HT Maul, from the way I percieve the entire propotion, approximately 1.5 bulkier than SS, according to that pic.

But you?re using, as reference for that analysis, two COMPLETELY un-futzed figures. Had either one of them been in ?natural? poses, with the cloth parts futzed with, instead of straight out of the box, I think things would look QUITE different.

This desire for one to be better than the other stuff is obnoxious. Both are great figures.

Sideshow has the better sculpt. The PERS (or whatever this new version is called) addition adds to the overall value, but doesn?t negate the fact that the head sculpt of the Hot Toys is lacking.

Truth is, like ALMOST any figure, the magic is in how YOU pose it.

INSANE things can be accomplished by YOU. Not simply what comes in the box.

Whether you're going to "perfectly futzed" those figures or not really has nothing to with the fact, which Im currently trying to say here is SS Maul is just way too small, judging entirely based on that comparison pic of jedijim above. Shoulder length, chest wide, head size, hip and legs of Hot Toys Maul are explicitly huge discrepant with SS. Isnt that obvious?

There’s flaws on both sides. Neither of which makes one figure terrible and the other perfect. SS is a bit on the skinny side and HT is a bit on the bulky side. Put them together and those flaws are amplified. SS has amazingly painted eyes and HT’s PERS adds so much life. Tit for Tat.

I can’t say either one is a walk off the screen representation but to my eye HT just looks more like a real person, simply more realistic overall. And the fit and finish of the clothes, gloves and body is just better than SS’s. Not SS Anakin to HT Anakin better but just better. I still think SS’s looks great. HT’s just looks more like an actual person proportionately and the PERS adds a whole different level.

18572EBB-9526-40A0-9AFA-7AB1FF134BE7.jpeg

5B955EF5-F454-4F6F-975D-064DD31FD82C.jpeg

2CF5B5F2-132B-4E17-BEBE-DFAAA812B3EC.jpeg

Is the clear pole supposed to be all wobbly in the stand? It's snug in the speeder but tilts around in the stand.

I opened up the stand today to see why the clear post would not go all the way in the stand. There is a ?grabber? inside each of the two holes in the stand as well as a nut for screwing in the bendy arm. I popped out the nut and put the base back together. The clear post will now pop all the way into the stand making it more secure for the speeder. You don?t have to remove the nut but it does help. You do have to use some force to get it into the stand grabber in the hole.

Hi guys.. Anyone willing to part out the motion/ still sabrr tips? Needing some extras pls

Thanks

HT didn't understand how these swoosh effects should be. Nice idea, poor execution.

Here's a shot from TPM. Kenobi's hilt and swoosh effect can be clearly seen. The swooshing part can not exceed the leading part of the saber which is always in line with the hilt.
My first drawing is how it is seen and should be produced.
Second drawing is how HT produces it like a fan.

ht lightsaber.jpg

Could easily regconize the size diffrence between SS and HT. HT's Maul at least twice the size as SS, SS Maul is just WAY undersized, so much for the "superior version" :lol.

Your endless battle to convince yourself that you spend you money right is really funny [emoji38]
maybe having a little bit of respect for the people who have both figures, clearly describing their opinions on how they look in hand. Almost everyone agree that both are great figures with pros and cons...
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.47.22 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.47.22 AM.jpg

HT didn't understand how these swoosh effects should be. Nice idea, poor execution.

Here's a shot from TPM. Kenobi's hilt and swoosh effect can be clearly seen. The swooshing part can not exceed the leading part of the saber which is always in line with the hilt.

View attachment 467023

You are exactly right. I noticed this as well. Instead of it fanning out, it should leave a trail not going beyond one side perpendicular of the hilt. It was a nice effort but poorly executed.

You are exactly right. I noticed this as well. Instead of it fanning out, it should leave a trail not going beyond one side perpendicular of the hilt. It was a nice effort but poorly executed.

I don?t know how they missed this. I thought the same thing with Jedi Luke. Still a cool effect but...

View attachment 467023

So true!

HT always goes a few shades darker then the figure should be. I remember opening up my first Jack Sparrow DX and thought "WOW he's dark"

HT DX Maul is great but I do wish the red was a a bit lighter as his head is lost in my display case/

Back